Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NUI Maynooth, what is it like?

• 01-12-2007 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Hi, i am applying for masters programmes (Economics) at the moment and i am weighing up Maynooth as a possibility. Im trying to find information on studying/living in Maynooth and i guess the best people to ask are the students themselves! So fill me in, whats Maynooth like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Well worth a masters visit. A 4-year degree would be better, but better a year than none at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Cold & Wet, Maynooth get 10 times more rain then anywhere else :D

Maynooth is a very small town (well its more of a village) but there is about 8,400 students in NUIM so as you can guess everyone around the town is a student. Dont think you will find that anywhere else in Ireland.

I would agree one year is not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

What are the facilities like? Is the library any good? Are the lecturers up to scratch, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

The lectures in the economic dept are brill, the majority have very good reputations. Masters have small classes, great opp to get to know lectures. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

eamoss wrote: »
    Cold & Wet, Maynooth get 10 times more rain then anywhere else :D

Maynooth is a very small town (well its more of a village) but there is about 8,400 students in NUIM so as you can guess everyone around the town is a student. Dont think you will find that anywhere else in Ireland.

I would agree one year is not enough.
    Actually, Maynooth gets similar amounts of rain to Dublin, but much less than rainfall of Galway/Cork or other Atlantic coastal universities.

More like 6000 by the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I did my degree and most of my PhD in Maynooth and loved the place so much that I stayed for another 3 years as a post-doctoral scientist. :) The library is useful, particularly if you are a student pursuing a taught degree as opposed to a research degree. The gym is very good and the social scene is excellent for a laugh.

As has been said, the town is small enough, there are a number of pubs on the main street and a Hotel with bar and niteclub not too far from the main street. The on-campus bar is actually quite nice but not used as much as it could be in the evenings thanks to the campus bar being way off the beaten track for many students who live on the other side of town.

There are loads of clubs and societies to get involved in too. The best thing about Maynooth is that it has a really friendly feel to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Actually, Maynooth gets similar amounts of rain to Dublin, but much less than rainfall of Galway/Cork or other Atlantic coastal universities.

More like 6000 by the way...

Yes but there is definately less people in Maynooth than is not in Maynooth.:rolleyes:

eamoss wrote: »

Maynooth's population is approximately 15,000 counting students, and there are about 6,000 students. Do the math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Following two centuries of internationally renowned scholarly activity on the Maynooth campus the National University of Ireland, Maynooth was established under the 1997 Universities Act as an autonomous member of the federal structure known as the National University of Ireland. With approximately 8,400 registered students, NUI Maynooth has 26 academic Departments which are organized into three Faculties: Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy; Science and Engineering, and Social Sciences.

http://www.nuim.ie/about/

That 8,400 includes distance learners, those on the Kilkenny campus and those registered for Research Masters and PhDs who may actually be conducting their work in another University or even another country ;)

The actual numbers of students on campus is very difficult to tie down but it would be around the 6-7k mark.

• Advertisement

But good try.

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    But good try.

Now now, put the handbag down! :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

pisslips wrote: »
    Yes but there is definately less people in Maynooth than is not in Maynooth.:rolleyes:
    what a post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I don't know anyone that didn't like going to college in Maynooth, it's a lovely, friendly little place. I'd love to go back to my first year in college there, happy times. Don't out stay your welcome though, that's the mistake I made. It loses it's appeal once you finish college (I'm sure others here will disagree with me on that though). Enjoy your stay if you choose to go there.

Advertisement