Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me or...

• 01-12-2007 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Is UCC ridiculously overcrowded this year? I mean the library has been FULL since Oct, and anytime i go to the shop or need a PC/photocopier there is a queue. I wouldnt mind if it was April but in Nov/Dec??? Anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Was passing through last week when I was in Cork and I agree, Though considering the amount of students and the size of the campus ts not that hard to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

1huge1 wrote: »
    Was passing through last week when I was in Cork and I agree, Though considering the amount of students and the size of the campus ts not that hard to believe

Yeah, but even compared to last year or the year before i see a major difference. They must have really expanded the numbers this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

This is my first year in UCC so can't compare it to previous years, but compared to where I was before (UCD) it does seem pretty crowded, I'm always queueing for something or other. I assumed it was down to the relative sizes of the campuses (UCD - 22,000 students, massive spread out campus; UCC - 17,000 students but much smaller in terms of area). I kind of like it though, it's not as impersonal as UCD can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it definitely seems worse this year.
    Though, when you consider that there's not been a comparable increase in facilities to go with increased student numbers (e.g. 2 shops for 17k people) it's hardly surprising.

rain on wrote: »
    This is my first year in UCC so can't compare it to previous years, but compared to where I was before (UCD) it does seem pretty crowded, I'm always queueing for something or other. I assumed it was down to the relative sizes of the campuses (UCD - 22,000 students, massive spread out campus; UCC - 17,000 students but much smaller in terms of area). I kind of like it though, it's not as impersonal as UCD can be.

On another topic, would you recommend UCD for a masters?

• Advertisement

UCD was awesome when I was there, I liked it so much that I went back for a masters as well! But at the moment it seems that the modularisation thing is being impemented with a major lack of planning and forethought and it seems students are really suffering as a result.. reading the UCD forums at the moment is like watching a car crash in slow motion sometimes. I worked in admin there for a while after I finished my masters and the amount of time that was taken up in damage limitation exercises was mind-boggling.

That said, the modularisation thing should really only affect undergrads.. postgrads seem to be escaping with a minimum of damage. I'm doing a masters in UCC now and I do have to say that teaching standards in my UCD masters were a lot better than they are here.. we have some very inept PhD students lecturing us here whereas it was all proper academic staff members doing the teaching in UCD. I guess things like that vary from department to department though. What area would you be interested in doing a masters in?

rain on wrote: »
    UCD was awesome when I was there, I liked it so much that I went back for a masters as well! But at the moment it seems that the modularisation thing is being impemented with a major lack of planning and forethought and it seems students are really suffering as a result.. reading the UCD forums at the moment is like watching a car crash in slow motion sometimes. I worked in admin there for a while after I finished my masters and the amount of time that was taken up in damage limitation exercises was mind-boggling.

That said, the modularisation thing should really only affect undergrads.. postgrads seem to be escaping with a minimum of damage. I'm doing a masters in UCC now and I do have to say that teaching standards in my UCD masters were a lot better than they are here.. we have some very inept PhD students lecturing us here whereas it was all proper academic staff members doing the teaching in UCD. I guess things like that vary from department to department though. What area would you be interested in doing a masters in?

I'd like to do an MA in Economics. Your trouble with UCC doesn'y surprise me, some of my lecturers are fresh out of masters and i probably have more knowledge than they do.

Hmm.. don't think i know anyone who did Economics past degree level. You might be as well to start a thread in the UCD forum asking about it. In general, I liked UCD a lot though, and the facilities for arts postgrads aren't bad (special section of the library where you can book desks and computers for a week, 6 week library loans even for taught masters students, the respect of your peers*).

*subject to availability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

Is UCC ridiculously overcrowded this year? I mean the library has been FULL since Oct, and anytime i go to the shop or need a PC/photocopier there is a queue. I wouldnt mind if it was April but in Nov/Dec??? Anyone else notice this?
    I was in UCD last year and spent much longer queueing for computers etc there than I do in UCC. I find that I always get a space in the library too...maybe it's just me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I've never had a problem getting a seat in the library.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭lovetwix

Agreed... the queue waiting for printing is always long..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

If only people would print the slides with 6 slides a page or even 2 per page...not just one slide a page as it wastes paper and the time of people in q's.

Advertisement