Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lookin for a computer controlled power socket

Options
  • 01-12-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a power socket which I can control by a computer. Wifi or etherenetted ideally but some other connection to a computer could work too.

Anyone know if anything like this exists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Flibble, your gaf is like the one in "The Wrong Trousers", true or false?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

I'm looking for a power socket which I can control by a computer. Wifi or etherenetted ideally but some other connection to a computer could work too.

Anyone know if anything like this exists?

I've looked at ethernet power controllers, they are really expensive.

The Xseries mains power stuff is also quite expensive & it can be hard to get 220V stuff.

I was thinking if I got one of those cheap (as in €24) wireless mains controllers from Lidl/Aldi & gutted the remote & hooked it to the parallel port on a PC, it would be possible to simulate on/off keypresses fairly easily.

That gives 4 controllable 13A sockets, up to 500W.

Parallel ports are gone on most (all!) new PCs, the Maplin USB experimenters kit might just be the way to go for future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I did a search for 'ethernet power controllers' and it came up with http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html which seems to be what I'm looking for.

Cheers gerryo

nice1franko, after xmas, true.

Advertisement