Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team: Dead Man's Hand

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Foxy-07

Other (please specify)
    Age limit I would prefer folks to be 18 since
    QUOTE]

I am 18 but with work and other things i do not think i could be there that often. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you are going to play abroad, would it not be a good idea to have paddy flange as a backup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

French Centre Europe
    Paddy Flange? Are you referring to Paddy Flage as in Irish DPM? Its still illegal to own in this country even if your wearing it abroad! Its property of the Minister of Defense AFAIK so owning it constitutes owning stolen goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

French Centre Europe
    krazy_8s wrote: »
    If you are going to play abroad, would it not be a good idea to have paddy flange as a backup?

Its unfortunately illegal to possess Irish issue uniforms or to wear them for non-official purposes.

Otherwise itwould be a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

MARPAT (USMC digital woodland)
    Ok so my orders came through today. Pending a medical it looks like my welder-toting-ass is shipping back to Meath so I'm a green light for this little project. One question though, I know it's early on in this but I was looking for an excuse to pick up a marksmans rifle (an SPR, M14 or even an EBR) over a BAR for/just after Christmas. Should I bother holding a few weeks and getting the rifle

French Centre Europe
    NakedDex wrote: »
    Ok so my orders came through today. Pending a medical it looks like my welder-toting-ass is shipping back to Meath so I'm a green light for this little project. One question though, I know it's early on in this but I was looking for an excuse to pick up a marksmans rifle (an SPR, M14 or even an EBR) over a BAR for/just after Christmas. Should I bother holding a few weeks and getting the rifle

Nothing is decided yet so I would get your Chrissy prezzie and be happy ;)

Actually in that case I may not buy anything and just forward the money to my credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

British Soldier 95 DPM
    any news Hivemind187

French Centre Europe
    Gatling wrote: »
    any news Hivemind187

Not just yet. I'm currently thinking about the training programe and putting together the pro's and con's of the various camo's and kit.

Its taking a little time.

British Soldier 95 DPM
    your poll got a fair few votes ,shame the ppl dont post intrest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

French Centre Europe
    I'd be interested, but I wouldn't be able to attend too regularly, so I really couldn't do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Gatling wrote: »
    your poll got a fair few votes ,shame the ppl dont post intrest

how come chalky voted 3 times?.,lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

French Centre Europe
    vtec wrote: »
    how come chalky voted 3 times?.,lol
    Multiple choice poll.:cool:

I'd be interested, but not right now. Final year in college is pretty hectic and I wouldn't have the time for it

Ok, just my two cents on the camo matter.
    I know there's a poll there and everything but the fact of the matter is that one way or another, to complete this loadout, everyone is gonna have to buy the majority of the gear new anyway. Not everyone has an M4, by the same token not everyone has British DPM. Some have neither. (I know that I for one have none of the kit that has been discussed so far) So why don't we just go for item effectivity. If it's MilSim then it's not a fashion contest, it's about practicality. Individuality would be nice where possible.

I like the idea of Danish or CadPat, and there are other options that could be considered too. To solve a bunch of issues why not go with OD vests instead of camo ones. They work with pretty much everything and they can be swapped onto a seperate CQB/FIBUA loadout without looking problematic. It would also make getting a Molle platform and relevant pouches easier and cheaper.

As for the kit, many people have M4's already. They're also easily found at good prices given their popularity. So my thoughts would be (and these are only my thoughts), start training with those who are interested with M4/15/16's and worry about kit later. After a few training sessions, those who are serious about it will still be around and those who were looking at it as a novelty will peel off. The remaining people are the ones who are gonna have to shell out the bucks for the kit.

Also, on the camo thing, as a CQB loadout, if the idea of OD vests is taken on, maybe go with a straight jumpsuit under them in OD or black. It's simple but it's effective and it looks good.

/speech

British Soldier 95 DPM
    great ideas NakedDex ,od vests and jumpsuits would be ideal

French Centre Europe
    OK folks.

It look like people really favor the Brit DPM and (politics aside) it makes a lot of sense.

The pattern is very good for Irish and northern european climes that are good year-round, its tactically good (loads of pockets), its cheap, there is plenty of it about and it comes in various water proof flavours (especially useful if you plan on playing year round).

OD Molle vests do make sense and there are US Woodland pouches available which would blend in near seemlessly with the Brit DPM. There are pouches available for nearly every type of magazine but primarily for the M-series, P90 and MP5 - which is kind of handy at this stage of the disucssion.

OD or black Jumpsuits/boiler suits for SWAT or CT style encounters with swapped out Molle pouches makes sense (thanks Nakedex).

We can talk about a back up BDU for arid scenarios at a later date.

What we need now is people throwing their hats in the ring so we know who is likely to be the regular "core" unit and who will be the "reserves".

Also, which side arm should we use? Glock 19/23? Baretta? 1911? Sig P226?

My feeling is it should be first and foremost reliable, then accurate, then powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rogaine

French Centre Europe
    Please put my name in. I haven't gotten any equipment yet & was stuck on what to get.
    How often do you indent on training, skirmishing etc?

French Centre Europe
    Rogaine,

Come the spring I hope to get a core group together to train on at least a weekly basis (formation, movement, ambush tactics etc) with a view to larger scale training as we go on and eventually week to week skirmishing at different venues around Ireland and even internationally if there is enough interest.

*notes your name*

French Centre Europe
    Great, sounds good. Are some of the people here military trained?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

French Centre Europe
    Rogaine wrote: »
    Great, sounds good. Are some of the people here military trained?

Kinda. I've been married twice.

French Centre Europe
    Well I'm not I'm too delicate to be shouted at.

We might be getting so tips and pointers from one of the other teams. The important part is to start out by working together and to continue operating in that way. After a while it'll all become automatic.

French Centre Europe
    Shiva wrote: »

Great answer.
    I was in the Army for 4 years, hence the reason I'm enjoying Airsoft.
    I will certainly help out no problem. I think the key thing here is to have the craic & make it very enjoyable, while beeing good enough to kick everyone elses arse :)

French Centre Europe
    Great answer.
    I was in the Army for 4 years, hence the reason I'm enjoying Airsoft.
    I will certainly help out no problem. I think the key thing here is to have the craic & make it very enjoyable, while beeing good enough to kick everyone elses arse :)

Heh ... we'll be looking for a drill sergent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

British Soldier 95 DPM
    when u r looking to start with this project???

French Centre Europe
    andros wrote: »
    when u r looking to start with this project???

The preparations are being made at the moment. Officially kicking off sometime in Spring.

• Advertisement

French Centre Europe
    So has it been decided to use the Combat 95 gear? I can vouch that it's excellent gear.
    Do you know a good place to get it?

French Centre Europe
    So has it been decided to use the Combat 95 gear? I can vouch that it's excellent gear.
    Do you know a good place to get it?

Flecktarn or the outdoor company

Ok I'm moving back to Meath in the first week of the new year so count me in. Though permit me one piece of opinion, I am not a happy camper on the Soldier 95 choice. I understand the reason for it but I would argue that Danish is just as effective and as easy to come by (Recon Company). Also I know from experience it looks good and is very effective with OD vests in temperate terrain. It's not too light for our terrain and it's disruption is excellent. Personally I'd love a full swedish loadout but out of the list given Danish is the best bet in my opinion, it's well priced, very effective, looks damn good and you'll be hard pressed to find some other team with one.
    I personally have a strong dislike for 95 DPM and I haven't found it all that effective.

As for the other thing I read (forgive me, it's been a long day and I can't remember who said what), I have a fair bit of training with fibua in the reserves but not a lot of open field tactics experience.

French Centre Europe
    I'd prefer Danish myself.

Nice pastry. Nice camo.

Nice bacon too. I vote danish camo, danish pastries and danish bacon sandwiches at every sesh.

And on the pistol question, I'd got with a Sig P226 out of that list but maybe a USP Tactical could be an option? Something like a USP Tactical or a P226 would be easy to get holsters for but still marginally different. I would also suggest the P99 but thats mainly because I bought one and fell in love with the thing. It's the type of pistol you love or hate (kinda like the way I hate the M9 and the 1911)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭16airassualt

French Centre Europe
    can i be on youre fancy little team?ive got more combat 95 than you can throw a rather large stick at+some of the desert gear for a day out at the beach,also getting an sa80 off shiva at hrta on sat...and just think how much fear you will strike into the hearts of the other team when they know youve got a spoon on youre team!!....

French Centre Europe
    can i be on youre fancy little team?ive got more combat 95 than you can throw a rather large stick at+some of the desert gear for a day out at the beach,also getting an sa80 off shiva at hrta on sat...and just think how much fear you will strike into the hearts of the other team when they know youve got a spoon on youre team!!....

I thought you were in with the ghosts?

French Centre Europe
    id vote for 95 because it was specifacaly designed for the english countryside,of which our terrain and climate are identical+it is the most common and cheapest gear to come across,yet no other team has taken it up as their offical cammo

French Centre Europe
    no that ended some time back...i dont know was it the fact that we stood out like traffic cones in our desert cammo or the fact that if i had to listen to johnny give another ridiculous order i would put my aeg in my mouth but i left.....so what ya say???

French Centre Europe
    no that ended some time back...i dont know was it the fact that we stood out like traffic cones in our desert cammo or the fact that if i had to listen to johnny give another ridiculous order i would put my aeg in my mouth but i left.....so what ya say???

Firstly. The Contractors use Pattern 95 as standard.

Second, if you can keep your spurs from jingle janlging and the MUZZLE OF YOUR GUN POINTED DOWN then I dont see why not ;)

French Centre Europe
    i love you...

I'm gonna argue against 95 DPM all day. Apart from having no advantage over Danish effectivity wise, it's hideous.

French Centre Europe
    i heard that the danish are all witches and i for one will not support witchcraft

French Centre Europe
    theres just so much varitey in combat 95,and its not hideous at all+the webbing is cheap,assault vests...and you can afford to get youre uniform ripped/dirty etc...at 6 euro for a pair of combats its practically disposeable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

British Soldier 95 DPM
    Shiva wrote: »

lol!:D:D:D

Nakeddex i'm with you on that one the danish camo is waaaay better than brittish DPM and they're ham/bacon is lovely!

• Advertisement

British Soldier 95 DPM
    think there bacon is good , try the special Julens beer,or in english christmas beer only released one a year around xmas ,its an absolutely spectaculary great beer ,was in country for 6 months many moons ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Utreg

British Soldier 95 DPM
    Hi, I'd be interested in joining alright. Been skirmishing for 2 or 3 years up the north.
    Only thing is, wouldn't be able to shoot every week, more like once every 2 weeks (IF the missus lets me... :D)
    Dont really like the DPM/S95 kit though, everybody has it...
    Have Marpat and US Woodland as camo but would have no problem getting Cadpat or Danish.
    Maybe Cadpat for summer, Marpat for winter?
    I'm easy on the weapon front, have M14, M4, SIG 552 as primary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

British Soldier 95 DPM
    Rogaine,

Come the spring I hope to get a core group together to train on at least a weekly basis (formation, movement, ambush tactics etc) with a view to larger scale training as we go on and eventually week to week skirmishing at different venues around Ireland and even internationally if there is enough interest.

*notes your name*

When u r planing to start??

French Centre Europe
    andros wrote: »
    When u r planing to start??

As I've said (a couple of times in the thread now) this will all be officially kicking off come the Spring. Myself and most of the interested parties will be busy until then and it'll give people the time to decide the basics.

Just to let e all know I am heavily veering towards a two-pattern set up with Danish aas the primary and S95 as a back up (the Danish is VERY green) depending on the terrain we are in.

Options are still open on an arid patten.

Regarding the the pistol. The vast majority of them will function nearly identically but the main thing is reliability. Most of the KSC and higher end mags I have come acorss have the circular feeds which will empty out in your pouches as you run around. Profoundly enough the KJW clones have a mag that prevents this and holds the rounds securely - at least on the glock models.

Something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

id vote for 95 because it was specifacaly designed for the english countryside,of which our terrain and climate are identical+it is the most common and cheapest gear to come across,yet no other team has taken it up as their offical cammo

British s95 is the official camo of the Contractors, not that that precludes any other teams from taking it up, just pointing that out for ya spoon.

French Centre Europe
    can we dress up as pirates instead??...i could have a glock for a hand,an aeg for a leg and a parrot named dennis that likes wheatabix and warm milk

British Soldier 95 DPM
    dont forget about roger the osterich

French Centre Europe
    how could i...seriousley who gives an osterich a machette..he owns that field now...were luckey hes letting us play there

French Centre Europe
    Ok. So I have come to a decision on the sidearm thing.

after discussing it with some of the guys and thinking carefully about it standardising the sidearm doesnt make sense.

To standardise it we would have to have the same make and model and manufacturer for each piece because GBB mags are notoriously brand specific. as such, I figure (as do many of you) its best to let guys choose their own backup - plus it lets you have a little smidge of individuality.

Just make sure you get enough mags to cover your 100round allotment.

does anyone have a position they are interested in playing yet?

• Advertisement

If noone else is going for it (and if it exists) I'd like to offer myself up for the designated marksmans job. I just recieved my SPR in post today (cheers Shiva) and I'd like a chance to use it to it's full extent.

Advertisement