Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whale and Dolphin slaughter by Japs ?

Options
  • 01-12-2007 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Have the japanese the right to cull whales? The Austrailian marine conservation believe that japanese fishermen killed up to 22,500 dolphins in northern Austrailian waters alone,in the first six months of this year.Do shortages in fish stocks mean the SLAUGHTER of whales and dolphins ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Unless you're living in a WW2 movie ye really shouldnt refer to our nihon brothers as "japs"

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heirenach

They are no brothers of mine ,They slaughter the two most intelligent mammels in the sea.The JAPANESE government have alot to answer for,to allow this.No offence to your nihon brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It seems to me the Japanese and the Chinese have very little respect for animal welfare in general and really only see animals as a food supply or animal cruelty as a form of entertainment.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

So we do it to all sorts of animals. Look at this i know its in the U.S. but its the same here.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1282796533661048967

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

So we do it to all sorts of animals. Look at this i know its in the U.S. but its the same here.

Good God, thats is gruesome.
    If i got my hands on the guy that threw the dog in the bin lorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

I watched Earthlings on DVD not so long ago. I honestly felt sick watching some parts of it and it turned my brother-in-law vegitarian!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

macshadow wrote: »
    nag wrote: »
    I watched Earthlings on DVD not so long ago. I honestly felt sick watching some parts of it and it turned my brother-in-law vegitarian!

I know its very graphic But it opens your eyes to whats happenin in the food industry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its just as bad with New Zealand. I found out after I moved here. They are one of the worst countries in the world for drag fishing. They are destroying so much of the sea floor and up rooting sediment. Even coral beds are ripped apart.

Not much gets to western media about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

macshadow wrote: »

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I feel something has to be done in this world so that animals start having the rights we do. Just watched a shocking film on the ITV news about whats happening in Bali with the tree cutting and the orangutans (Not sure this is right spelling). We just dont care about animals anymore. ive seen and herd shocking things that is happening to animals including this thread. I love animals and they fascinate me. I have 2 cats as pets, and they give me so much pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Getting back to the whales; perhaps you might go on a whale watching weekend with the Irish Whale and Dolphin group, then write a polite letter to the Japanese Embassy, asking them to pass it to the fisheries and tourism ministries in Japan, describing the beauty of the whale watching, and suggesting that Japan could make a brilliant tourist resource from their whales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

www.whales.greenpeace.org

Some good background info on this site!
    It's pretty sickening what's going on alright. No better than skinning animals for clothes imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heirenach

Unfortunately the Japanese,dont have any marine tourism.They have all the whales and dolphins eaten in their own seas ,this is why their whale fleet is gone into Atlantic waters followed by green peace ship, hopefully they will catch an iceberg.I have written a complaint to japanese embassey,no reply.I think the only way to make them listen is to start a campaign to boycott Japanese products.They sell alot of fish foods etc on irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 duff365

so its ok to eat beef etc, but because the dolphin or whale is intelligent its not ok. What about tuna? Nobody gives out about tuna fishing. If cows were smarter what would we eat?

Boycott japanese products because they kill whales, that would mean no nissan, toyota, sony etc... and do you think that in a global scale that it would actually matter.

Has anyone ever tasted whale? I hear it's delicious.
    and what about iceland and Norway they also fish whale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

duff365 wrote: »
    so its ok to eat beef etc, but because the dolphin or whale is intelligent its not ok. What about tuna? Nobody gives out about tuna fishing. If cows were smarter what would we eat?

Boycott japanese products because they kill whales, that would mean no nissan, toyota, sony etc... and do you think that in a global scale that it would actually matter.

Has anyone ever tasted whale? I hear it's delicious.
    and what about iceland and Norway they also fish whale.

Cows here are killed a lot quicker than the way dolphins and whales are killed in Japan.

Yes, boycott their products because they not only KILL, they kill them slowly and painfully. Also have been known not only to kill dolphins and whales for meat but capture live ones to sell to water parks such as sea world. These dolphins are usually captured during dry hunts and it is horrific.

Iceland and Norway are only allowed kill a certain amount of whales a year based on whale numbers. (Still don't agree with it) The Japanese kill as many as they like and answer to no one over how many whales can be slaughtered each year.

I'm sure a human burger would taste nice too but thats no reason to eat a person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

im must watch the video from macshadows post. is it bad? as im downloading onto my realplayer at the moment as it a long film.il post the result soon:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Most JAPANESE do not support the killing of whales nor do they eat whale, the whaling lobby is a tiny but very powerful one in Japan imagine the religious right in America going on about old fashioned values and such. My understanding is that is what it is like in Japan.

It is an old ailing industry (only the older generation actually eat whale it anymore the younger generation don't really like it so i understand)

So basically it is a huge political issue most of the communities that hunt whales are traditional one industry towns with not much else going on.

It is seen as something that needs to be protected a tradition and a way of life.

But as i understand it most young Japanese dont like whale anymore and dont eat it and the demand for the product is not what it was.

Support for it in the general public is not that high either as i understand it is mainly politicians as the industry itself or at least the cause seems quite powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

They should leave them alone, but as somebody said in Asia animal welfare doesn't seem to exist. at least in Japan they supposedly massage the cows before they kill them. weird but better than being cruel to them obviously. the animal welfare (or lack thereof) seems particularly bad (non existent) in China and they are trying to cover it up for the Olympics. hopefully the athletes will boycott the Olympics. They just seem to have no respect for animals or even humans. (just look at how they are treating the Tibetans!)

so yeah I think they should quit killing whales (and before I'm called a hypocrite, I'm a veggie and don't agree with killing anything unless in self defence :p )

Lou, "most young japanese", first of all how many young japanese are there, i think the total population of japan is 120 million give or take a few. So if when you say "young" you mean under 30 i would guess that is alot of people you are speaking for when you say "they" don't really like whales. I know several Japanese people and they all say that whale is delicious and the only problem is that they can't get enough of it. But i agree that it is one of their oldest industries and some people would like to preserve it in some way.

In my honest opinion i don't mind how many are hunted and killed as long as they are not hunted into extinction.

besides the chance of them becoming extinct, what about the inhumane fashion in which they are killed? I believe they are stabbed with "harpoons" other people probably know more about this though, I haven't really read up on the whole business.

• Advertisement

Cows here are killed a lot quicker than the way dolphins and whales are killed in Japan.

Yes, boycott their products because they not only KILL, they kill them slowly and painfully. Also have been known not only to kill dolphins and whales for meat but capture live ones to sell to water parks such as sea world. These dolphins are usually captured during dry hunts and it is horrific.

Iceland and Norway are only allowed kill a certain amount of whales a year based on whale numbers. (Still don't agree with it) The Japanese kill as many as they like and answer to no one over how many whales can be slaughtered each year.

I'm sure a human burger would taste nice too but thats no reason to eat a person!

So if for example you are fishing for salmon you would need a bigger hook than if you were fishing for trout, ok.
    So when the fish is bigger the hook is bigger.
    When you first get the salmon on your hook you would not be able to reel him in as he would break free, you need to make him tired and the same process in used in whale hunting. (maybe slightly different but same idea)

They kill them "slowly and painfully", i hope the above explains the slowly, as for the painfully i would agree that it probably hurts but does the salmon not feel the same pain?

We kill cows and pigs and little lambs as much as we want and we don't answer to anyone are we just as bad?

Dolphins in water parks, how many dolphins can you possibly have in a water park, thats just silly.

"Human burger", we are top of the food chain. Maybe on top of a mountain with no food and no rescue in sight ahhh you seen the movie.

What makes the whale more special the the tuna?

Yes kerry i believe they are stabbed with harpoons but i don't think there is any easy way to catch them. They just don't want to die. It would be easier if they just beached themselves. Maybe use dynamite.

We can think of alot of ways to kill many animals including ourselves why is it MORE inhumane to kill whales?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Not to inflame animal lovers, but as I recall, is the harpoon not explosive tipped, so it penetrates the head and then detonates? That'd be reasonably humane, as the whale is at the very, very least going to be rendered senseless from the concussion, if not absolutely killed outright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

duff365 wrote: »
    So if for example you are fishing for salmon you would need a bigger hook than if you were fishing for trout, ok.
    So when the fish is bigger the hook is bigger.
    When you first get the salmon on your hook you would not be able to reel him in as he would break free, you need to make him tired and the same process in used in whale hunting. (maybe slightly different but same idea)

They kill them "slowly and painfully", i hope the above explains the slowly, as for the painfully i would agree that it probably hurts but does the salmon not feel the same pain?

We kill cows and pigs and little lambs as much as we want and we don't answer to anyone are we just as bad?

Dolphins in water parks, how many dolphins can you possibly have in a water park, thats just silly.

"Human burger", we are top of the food chain. Maybe on top of a mountain with no food and no rescue in sight ahhh you seen the movie.

What makes the whale more special the the tuna?

First off, I don't agree with killing ANY ANIMALS! I don't eat meat and I don't agree with killing cows as much as I don't agree with killing dogs or cats or sheep or fish. They're not really ours to kill in my opinion. Not that I think everyone shouldn't eat meat as I just speak for myself but I'm not taking the moral high ground just when it comes to whales.

And when it comes to dolphins for water parks, there are so many private collectors who buy these animals on the black market as well as the water parks. Just google "dry hunts, Japan" and you will see them measuring the young healthy ones while the rest get their throats cut.

And I never said whales were more special then tuna.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Hi all,

just to say, duff365 i dont agree with anything your say. you dont really have an argument in fairness.

in my opinion, we all need meet but not as much as we currently take.

im not going to become a veggie because i like my meat but i always try and remember the pain and suffering the animal has gone trough just so i can enjoy its flesh. and try to remember to limit my intake for other reasons too.

we dont need to eat whales or dolphins they are a large, intelligent creature and should not be destroyed especially in the way they are.

aren’t the japs/chineese and the rest known for eating anything with a pulse?? sure one of their specialities is eating a live slug on a piece of lettuce for feck sake, never mind dogs and cats im suppressed they don’t eat each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

jetski wrote: »
    aren’t the japs/chineese and the rest known for eating anything with a pulse?? sure one of their specialities is eating a live slug on a piece of lettuce for feck sake, never mind dogs and cats im suppressed they don’t eat each other.

I don't think they eat cats (they use them for skins tho), but they do eat dogs as do several other countries in Asia*. As for the slug thing, who knows?

*I saw an ep of one of the Hairy Bikers programme where they were in Korea, I think. They were eating meat, one of them goes up to ask what kind of meat it was, (actually I think the guy who went up to ask didn't eat any as he made sure to ask what it was before he'd try any) he came back to the other guy, trying not to laugh and said "it's not beef, Si, it's Rover".
    The other guy put the meat down, and started laughing in a shocked kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I always have a hard time reading these posts

I agree whales and dolphins are intelligent and question the need to kill a rare mammal for food (surely there are other more plentiful sources)

We do the same to rats and while they are not rare they are very intelligent

I don't think any nation is cruelty free so its a bit rich of us to point the finger, no.

All I have to do is look a few posts down and there is a thread about getting rid of mice and the various ways to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm always appaled by the bahaviour of the japanese regarding their persuit of whales for "research"

I implore them to release this "research" to the world.
    The world can then judge if we know enough about these animals yet!

also... I dont advocate animal rights.
    I do whole-heartedly advocate humanity being responsible for all things on this earth. We're the worlds keepers.

Really, if we didn't have the "intelligence" to invent tools (i.e. guns, spears etc) to hunt animals, we'd probably be as low on the food chain as a gazelle or wildebeest in Africa, since without tools, how many people would be able to catch and kill an animal?
    No other animals use tools to catch their prey that I know of.

• Advertisement

First off, I don't agree with killing ANY ANIMALS! I don't eat meat and I don't agree with killing cows as much as I don't agree with killing dogs or cats or sheep or fish. They're not really ours to kill in my opinion. Not that I think everyone shouldn't eat meat as I just speak for myself but I'm not taking the moral high ground just when it comes to whales.

And when it comes to dolphins for water parks, there are so many private collectors who buy these animals on the black market as well as the water parks. Just google "dry hunts, Japan" and you will see them measuring the young healthy ones while the rest get their throats cut.

And I never said whales were more special then tuna.

Laura i think you are missing my point.( i think i have one)
    Whales get alot of attention in the media because they are being slaughtered by the Japanese, so it is in our face and because of this we point the finger at Japan. What if the media covered the slaughter of deer, or cows or any of the of animals which we consume because it is the same thing and i don't think whales deserve any special treatment or attention.
    Ok you don't agree with any slaughter, well if thats the case maybe you should start looking a little closer to home. for example all the turkeys at xmas, they don't have anyone to fght their corner.

Your a veggie and thats cool, but i am a meat eater and i don't look at my dinner as a pet or a friend.
    We live in a world that consumes too much of alot of things but who are we to point the finger at the japanese and say oi NOOO. This is in their culture and why should they stop. I think it is in India that the cow is sacred, i never heard anyone from india campaigning on behalf of cows all over the world or trying to impose the views on the rest of us.

About the dolphins, most are caught by accident but i think the number is small in comparison to other fish. If some nut wants to have a pet dolphin and he can afford to keep it, well fair enough. Water parks are fun and i don't think they are in any way mistreated in these places. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Advertisement