Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whale and Dolphin slaughter by Japs ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Chimps do, they use sticks to gather up ants and rocks to break open delicious morsels. Not that it's important to the argument, but just an observation. Also I was in Scotland recently and was astounded to learn that golden eagles snip the head off Oystercatchers (dangerous) and hares and rabbits (too heavy) before they deliver the rest of the body to their young, which while not a tool is evidence of intelligent/practical thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 duff365

jetski wrote: »
    Hi all,

just to say, duff365 i dont agree with anything your say. you dont really have an argument in fairness.

in my opinion, we all need meet but not as much as we currently take.

im not going to become a veggie because i like my meat but i always try and remember the pain and suffering the animal has gone trough just so i can enjoy its flesh. and try to remember to limit my intake for other reasons too.

we dont need to eat whales or dolphins they are a large, intelligent creature and should not be destroyed especially in the way they are.

aren’t the japs/chineese and the rest known for eating anything with a pulse?? sure one of their specialities is eating a live slug on a piece of lettuce for feck sake, never mind dogs and cats im suppressed they don’t eat each other.

I think i do have an argument in fairness. You haven't said one thing that would make me think that hunting whales is wrong.
    Yes i think alot of people eat too much meat and it is probably unhealthy.

When i'm having a steak i don't think what is was doing the morning it was killed, what was its favourite colour or will he be missed by his family. I'm thinking 1 potato or 2, sauce or as is.

What does it matter how big the fish is or how intelligent. If you are from Japan it is normal to eat whale so what would you care what people from other countries say.

Slugs? i don't think so. But i have seen them been eaten on one of those reality shows.Koreans and chinese eat dogs. The dogs are bred to be eaten and are not pets. When it come time to kill them they are hung upside down and beaten to death with sticks, this is supposed to make the meat more tasty (something to do with adrenilin). This also sounds cruel but you don't hear about it in the news so who cares.

Anyway you can go back to eating your steak and feeling bad about it, i will go and enjoy mine.
    If you went to your local market and there was whale there would you try it, be honest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

Its important to remember that whales are mammals, not fish, and they have a very different reproduction rate.

Many of the whales that are being hunted will only have 1 calf every couple of years, The gestation period is about 12 months and the calf needs to stay with the mother for up to a year also before it can survive independantly.

On top of this, the whale can take up to a decade to achieve sexual maturity.

This is one of the reasons why whale populations are extremely vulnerable when it comes to whaling.

rosyposy wrote: »
    Its important to remember that whales are mammals, not fish, and they have a very different reproduction rate.

Many of the whales that are being hunted will only have 1 calf every couple of years, The gestation period is about 12 months and the calf needs to stay with the mother for up to a year also before it can survive independantly.

On top of this, the whale can take up to a decade to achieve sexual maturity.

This is one of the reasons why whale populations are extremely vulnerable when it comes to whaling.

That is a good point, but the same can be said of cows reproduction.
    I appreciate that the whale population is not what it was but the blame for this should not rest at Japans door.

Only whales of a certain size and certain kind are meant to be caught. I think that certain fish stocks in the atlantic are also not what they were and in turn they do not over fish these fish, why is it a problem if the same is done with whales. I wouldn't like to see any animal hunted into extinction but that is not what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

duff365 wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see any animal hunted into extinction but that is not what is happening.

Yes it is. :eek:

thats why there is none in there waters.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

That is a good point, but the same can be said of cows reproduction.
    I appreciate that the whale population is not what it was but the blame for this should not rest at Japans door.

Only whales of a certain size and certain kind are meant to be caught. I think that certain fish stocks in the atlantic are also not what they were and in turn they do not over fish these fish, why is it a problem if the same is done with whales. I wouldn't like to see any animal hunted into extinction but that is not what is happening.

You actually don't have a clue what you are talking about. If the whaling numbers remain the same, it won't be long before many species of whales are in serious trouble. Cows will never go extinct as they are one of the most farmed animals in the world.
    Are you just trying to annoy everyone with your comments that have no basis to them or are you delusional and think you actually know what you're talking about? Either way I find you very amusing! I like that you're trying to join in no matter how uninformed you are making yourself look!

Save the turkeys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Duff365 your some tulip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s22ghINEXrU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSJhQ6xRVb0&feature=related

Now stop talking crap, if you cant differentiate the difference between a cow and a whale/dolphin your simply one dumb individual! :o

Jetski why did you put a link about dogs and slugs? (KOREANS were eating the slugs, new one on me) and so what about the dogs as i said before they are killed cruelly so why are you showing me a video to prove my point. You should read what i said!

To everyone else who is so informed maybe you should read up on the IWC and what they do, instead of jumping on the anti-whaling bandwagon.

Whales are and will always be hunted to some degree so why is everybody pointing the finger at Japan as if they are evil for what they do. How many countries have contributed to this situation?
    Japan has been hunting under a scientific permit so surely their catches are less than if they are hunting commercially. Even if they cheat the quotas.
    Unfortunately there is no way to stop ANY country from hunting whales so i'm afraid you have to trust that these countries and people don't want to see any fish become extinct.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but lots of species have become extinct before and the life span of any given species is about 10 million years give or take a few and i believe they have been around for about 40 or 50million so maybe this is the natural order of things. It might not be a nice thought but this is what we do.(as a species)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

It might not be a nice thought but this is what we do.(as a species)

Thats a very defeatist nad lazy attitude.
    If everybody on earth had the same reasoning as you, no good would be done!

Ok maybe i should join greenpeace and go out into the pacific and shake my fist at some whalers.
    It is a fact that since the existence of mankind other species on this planet have gone extinct more often and i don't think we have seen the last.
    I don't think this is good or wish for it but this is what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I'm not going to rant because I don't have the full facts on this issue, but it is very very saddening to see the way these animals are treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭THE1NE

People in here are seriously niave if they think every next Japanese person is eating Whales. Its a small minority and it does not happen nearly as often as is protrayed by the media.
    Best of luck with the boycott anyway let me know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Hi,

The Japanese prime minister is visiting Dublin in May. Are there any plans for any protest? Not that it will make much difference I suppose but no harm in keeping the issue there.

Some interesting views here.
    Whales are and will always be hunted to some degree so why is everybody pointing the finger at Japan as if they are evil for what they do. How many countries have contributed to this situation?
    Japan has been hunting under a scientific permit so surely their catches are less than if they are hunting commercially. Even if they cheat the quotas.
    Unfortunately there is no way to stop ANY country from hunting whales so i'm afraid you have to trust that these countries and people don't want to see any fish become extinct.

Japan is probably the worst offender. A stated aim of their recent hunting expedition was to overturn the IWC ban on whaling. Japan also moves politically within the IWC to reverse the ban. It originally refused to accept the moratorium until the US threatened it with sanctions. It remains Japanese policy that the moratorium on killing whales is unnecessary and there should be no restriction on whaling. Norway is not bound by the moratorium and kills ~500 whales a year. Iceland ~100.

The IWC ban allows for a number of whales to be killed for genuine scientific research. The Japanese basically decide on their own quota. Demonstration of the effectiveness of the science is not required and indeed Japans 'research' has been criticised by the IWC. The main scientific argument from Japan is that the age of a whale can only accurately be determined once they are dead - thats true, but in recent years it has become possible to determine the approximate age from DNA, which can be obtained without killing the whales.

The extent of this research is also hard to understand. Last year Japan allocated itself the following quota: 1000 minke whales (near threatened), 50 fin whales (endangered) 50 humpback (vulnerable). That's a lot of dead whales just to find out how old they were... Of course that leaves Japan with 1000+ dead whales, which end up in the fish Markets. However it is not a popular food as many tonnes end up in refrigerated storage and used up in hospital and food dinners.

Lastly the point was made that they cannot be stopped. That's not true. The problem is that practically noone will stop them. The Australian government claims territorial rights in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary yet it does not intervene when the Japanese illegally hunt there. Greenpeace only observe and unfortunately are ineffective at actually stopping the killing. The UN The World Charter for Nature gives people the power to intervene.
    It might not be a nice thought but this is what we do.(as a species)
    Thats probably something that we should change. (as a species).

Advertisement