Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I need to go to a driving school?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Despite never actually sitting behind the wheel I know how to drive (how to use the clutch, change gears etc). Would I need to go to a driving school or would getting a provisional and just getting experience driving suffice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

you can get a provisional but first you have to do that stupid theory test they brought in a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I know about the procedure to start driving, just wondering would I be capable to start driving without going to an instructor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I would recommend a driving school. Just because you know how to operate a car doesnt make you a competent motorist. I know how to operate a car, and I am taking lessons every week. You need instruction on how to use your car safely in different environments, and different situations. And your instructor can point out things you maybe doing wrong, that you never knew about - observation being one important aspect you need to learn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Despite never actually sitting behind the wheel I know how to drive (how to use the clutch, change gears etc). Would I need to go to a driving school or would getting a provisional and just getting experience driving suffice?

I know that to take off in an aeroplane i have to push the throttle forward and pull back on the controls. Doesn't mean i can apply to be one of Aer Lingus's finest though does it? Maybe ryan air:D

Moral of the story, get lessons before doing anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Despite never actually sitting behind the wheel I know how to drive.

Does... not... compute... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well you'll need your learner permit anyway in order to get lessons.

In the sense you're talking about, I "know" how to drive a bus. Doesn't mean I'd be capable of hopping into one and carrying on my merry way "gaining experience" though.

Make sure you get those lessons in a dual control car. Learning how to drive a car is a good bit tougher than it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, you need to go to driving school. If you've never sat behind the wheel of a car, you don't know how to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

it looks easy, seems easy but is a lot tougher than you think. I got nearly 20 lessons to ensure i passed my test first time. it's worth it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

^^^^They're all right really.
    But you can learn to drive by doing to an extent(need someone to show you how to pas the test though); as long as whoever owns the car doesn't mind you wrecking the gear box a bit and you do it in a safe area with very little (none) traffic.

Basicly i reckon you should get some lessons so you know how you should start and stop properly. Then learn to drive confidently, through lessons or just from driving loads and working it out for yourself (again, not suggesting you go on "real" roads to do this, at least not in the beginning).

Get a final batch of lessons leading up to your test (how ever many you need, if your instructor is decent he should be able to tell you how many that is). No matter how good you think your doing on your own/with a mate or whatever, go to a proper instructor before a test; they'll teach you how to pass (Note: not how to drive).

This is only going by my personal experience, everybody learns these things differently. Figure out what will work for you and go for it.

Obviously: try to abide by the law as you go through the whole thing ie. accompanied by licenced driver etc. your only going to make it even more difficult for yourself by messing about with that.
    Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

I'd say go for driving lessons, at least a few. I'm getting lessons at the moment and like yourself I'd never driven before but knew the mechanical operations of a car. I'm glad I went for lessons because the theory and the practical can be quite different. Play it safe and have your first experiance in a dual control car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Id definitely recommend getting lessons. one of the important things is observation - the controls are the easy bit once you know what you're doing with them. Its knowing your blind spots, where to look in every situation etc that you need to pick up from a professional to drive safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Nightwish wrote: »
    I would recommend a driving school. Just because you know how to operate a car doesnt make you a competent motorist. I know how to operate a car, and I am taking lessons every week. You need instruction on how to use your car safely in different environments, and different situations. And your instructor can point out things you maybe doing wrong, that you never knew about - observation being one important aspect you need to learn.

I would also recommend this. I felt i could operate the car fine. And while i've been ok on the road nearly a year now. I never took one lesson. Yet i would still say get some to save bad habits etc forming.

I know about the procedure to start driving, just wondering would I be capable to start driving without going to an instructor

yes you could but maybe take it easy. No harm taking a few lessons to get the basic understanding.

I'm just very observative since a young age as a passenger and always asked the rules so i kinda was half way there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nothing like a bit of confidence :) You may know how to operate a clutch and change gears but you'll find that actually doing it whilst moving and observing around you etc. is a slightly different kettle of fish.

Get some lessons.

Advertisement