Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance Calls from 081 836 51350

Options
  • 02-12-2007 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I keep getting nuisance calls from the above number (081 836 51350) which after a spot of Googling I found out was Eircoms SMS number.

The wife's going mad - thinks we're being stalked (as if) - but it's still pretty annoying. Does anybody know how I can stop it ?

As a secondary question, does anybody know why it's just started tonight ?

Regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Try ringing 1901 and logging it as a fault. There have been threads here before where people have experienced similar issues I'm just too lazy to go find them at the the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭GBX

maybe its set to start spamming texts as of Dec 1, and your number just went through the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

rmacm wrote: »
    It's the phone number of an Eircom SMS server.....try ringing 1901 and logging it as a fault. There have been threads here before where people have experienced similar issues I'm just too lazy to go find them at the the moment.
    Heh. Nice one Rory. I think he knows it's an €ircon sms server :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I keep getting nuisance calls from the above number (081 836 51350) which after a spot of Googling I found out was Eircoms SMS number.

The wife's going mad - thinks we're being stalked (as if) - but it's still pretty annoying. Does anybody know how I can stop it ?

As a secondary question, does anybody know why it's just started tonight ?

Regards,

Hey,

Report it straight away. Have a look here first for info:

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=m&fn=/documents/guidance/spamguide.htm

look here to make a complaint:

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2f.htm&CatID=24&m=e

Ireland has some of the highest penalties in Europe for unsolicted marketing. If I were you Id personally love to see Eircom brought up for this but waht are the chances. It is one of those situations where you will have to make some calls to fix it, seriously annoying I know..

Eoghan
    Fusion Networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doodlbug18

The message isn't coming directly from eircom. Somebody has sent a text message to your landline number. It was probably someone you know who has your landline number stored in their mobile and they accidentally hit send.

The eircom SMS server will try to deliver it a number of times before it gives up. Your line must have had a DECT SMS phone on it at some stage. This would have caused your line to be registered for SMS incoming messages. If the SMS phone is no longer present, eircom try to deliver the SMS your eircom voicemail as a synthesised voice message. If you don't have voicemail, then the server will keep trying. Most people probably have either an SMS phone or voicemail, so I suppose this problem is pretty rare.

If the problem persists, try diverting(*21*xxxxxxxxx#) your phone to someone who has eircom voicemail (probably other kinds of voicemail will do also?), and the next time the SMS arrives, it should go into the voicemail, so you can catch it the synthesised voice message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

doodlbug18 wrote: »
    The message isn't coming directly from eircom. Somebody has sent a text message to your landline number. It was probably someone you know who has your landline number stored in their mobile and they accidentally hit send.
    Yeah, we get a lot of these, usually late at night and I guess probably due to a mobile being unlocked in someone's pocket or handbag, because the message is always blank.

We don't have an SMS DECT phone and never have, but do have the Eircom message minder enabled. The funny thing is though, the phone itself never rings when one of these things comes in. The first we hear about it is if we pick up the phone to make a call and we hear the funny warbling dialtone, or if the message minder rings us up to remind us we have unheard voice mail messages.

Advertisement