Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce & Macbook Qs.

Options
  • 02-12-2007 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Ok, so I'm a prospective Commerce student and am considering getting a MacBook soon. As far as I can tell, laptops are mandatory at Quinn school. But does the laptop have to be a Dell or HP (since these are the ones that are in the laptop scheme)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

personally i hate macs but if you get into commerce you'll be offered 3 laptops each of different quality all made by dell that'll have all the necessary stuff in it for college. they're pretty decent spec and cheaper than if you were to get the exact same laptop straight from dell i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

get the mac

get openoffice for everything u thought u needed windows for

macbooks are deadly , i switched there a while go and they are so handy and cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

From what I've heard the IT people in the quinn school will pretty much tell people with macs where they can stick them. Also the reason commerce students need laptops is, (I'm told), so the lecturers can pretty much do to them "right, everyone open excel and do this", or something like that. Hence mac not a great idea.

mac has excel

and nearly every lecturer i have seen / staff have had - you guessed it - a mac

so thats a loadda bollix bout them tellin ye where to go

Eh... are you doing commerce? Have you experience with the Quinn IT department? Are the lecturers and staff you've seen toting macbooks commerce lecturers and staff?

• Advertisement

i dont do commerce

but if wifi/printing/excel and everything else you would need can work on a macbook

why would you deal with the it staff - plus daedulus are there if you need help

Right, in that case neither of us do commerce, and are both working off hearsay and experience of different situations. So let's just wait until someone who can see comes along and settles the dispute of what the elephant looks like.

grey i believe

im just saying there is nuthin he would loose (gain a lot infact) in gettin a mac(book)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

I study Commerce and have worked with ILTG (the IT people in Quinn) during Orientation Week. You'll need a laptop and it can't be a Mac. Full Stop. I think it's stupid personally but God help you if you try to argue with them.

If you get a place you'll be sent info on the laptops offered. If you opt to use your own laptop it has to meet very specific requirements. First years this year had to have Windows XP and not Vista.

Yes, it's ridiculous that they're gonna dictate what kind of laptop you buy, but if your heart's set on Quinn then it's not worth wasting your money on a Mac; you'll only have to buy another new laptop next September

conor2007 wrote: »
    why would you deal with the it staff - plus daedulus are there if you need help

Every first year in Quinn is required to register their laptop with ILTG. They then go to ILTG for IT support and not UCD IT Services.

• Advertisement

Third post in a row... oh dear.
    c7 wrote: »
    ...does the laptop have to be a Dell or HP (since these are the ones that are in the laptop scheme)?

The laptop can be any PC as long as it meets the requirements specified by ILTG in August next year. Problem for you is that you don't know what they are yet.

Actually, I wonder if it'd be OK to use Boot Camp on a Mac to run Windows for college purposes. I've never seen anyone do this before, but it'd be worth looking in to I suppose...

Ah-ha! I knew it had big ears!

can i ask why it has to be windows ?

no reason it has to be

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I'm final year commerce, and have been a tutor for one of the IT subjects. I'm also writing this on my iMac.

Ok, the reason you need a regular PC as opposed to a mac is this: you need the latest version of MS Office. That is Office 2007. No bull**** with NeoOffice or Open Office, or Office for Mac, you'll need Access, and we don't teach for differant versions of office, only the latest. MS Office only, for exams and what have you. I had one student this year using a mac, with bootcamp, running Office 2007. There didn't seem to be a problem, but I don't know what the story with tech support from the ILTG would be, and seeing as how they handle registrations on the wired network, and you need to be able to connect by ethernet.... still, maybe regular IT services could sort that, I've never had to deal with them.

Plus, the mac is considerable extra expense over the dell laptop, as you have to get windows and office (and probably a bigger hard drive), both of which come as standard with the Dell deal.

If you really want the mac, or feel it is in some way worth all the extra money (I'd probably think it was, but I live on my computer, and prefer it not to crash if I ask it to do more than eight things at once), and that you're decently technically competent enough to fix most problems on your own, then go for it. Keep in mind, however that those companies most likely to employ a commerce graduate will most likely not use macs, and won't let you use one either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Why are they requiring Office 2007 specifically - as opposed to say 2000, XP, 2003? Why is Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac unacceptable?

How would ILTG feel about a parallels-equipped machine?

The course I was tutoring / ta-ing / whatever it's called was a first year course in which we taught students web design, Word and Excel. We taught using office 2007, which has a very different interface to previous versions of office. Therefore, the students had to have it.

Also, it may have something to do with how it handles the macros which are used during the exams.

Insofar as I know, office for mac doesn't have Access, and that's needed in second year.

Not having anything to do with ILTG, I have no idea what they'd say about parallels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

MuddyDog wrote: »
    personally i hate macs but if you get into commerce you'll be offered 3 laptops each of different quality all made by dell that'll have all the necessary stuff in it for college. they're pretty decent spec and cheaper than if you were to get the exact same laptop straight from dell i believe.
    You will NOT save money by buying a laptop through UCD. You will be far better off buying your own

ILTG will not have anything to do with you if you have a Mac.

If you have a mac and wont to use it you must be sufficiently technically competent to do all the things ILTG would do yourself. Which means internet access and printing, both of which a mac user I knew told me he was having problems with.

When Quinn is designing an elearning programme they are very narrow minded about how it will work. Some things Ive done in commerce online wouldnt work with Firefox for example. Everything is microsoft latest x y or z.

Finally, you will need to do a LOT of collaborations in any Quinn course. If you are meeting your group to cut and paste a report together and your bit messes everything up, its just hassle. I dont know about opensource file formats, but considering different versions of Word when put together can mess up minor formatting details, Im going to go out on a limb and say its not as easy as if you'd all prepared your bit on the same software.

open office / neooffice can save a file in any format
    97-200-xp etc - mac format anything so no compatibility problems
    wireless works grand-printing grand

as for ''suffeciently technically competent'' - i would say you need to be less so than with a dell-windows

new macbooks come with paralels so all you have to do is buy (cough) office 2007 and your set - hd is big eneough - 1100 ish will do that

save ya hassle in the long run

Honestly, anything we say here is just our best guess. If you really want to know, get in touch with the school and ask them about it.

I'd still reckon that for a hassle free experience with regard to commerce, a dell laptop, bought through the quinn school's program is the best bet. It means ILTG will fix pretty much anything that goes wrong with it for you.

It may not be the cheapest option, and I'd certainly prefer to be using a mac, but it has been very easy to have any technical issues sorted. I've had a motherboard replaced, and my hard-drive wiped for me without any major questions or hassle. It took them less than an hour to reset the hard-drive actually. If any of the students in my class had problems I couldn't fix, I just told them to go up to ILTG and get it sorted.

• Advertisement

conor2007 wrote: »
    open office / neooffice can save a file in any format
    97-200-xp etc - mac format anything so no compatibility problems
    wireless works grand-printing grand

as for ''suffeciently technically competent'' - i would say you need to be less so than with a dell-windows

new macbooks come with paralels so all you have to do is buy (cough) office 2007 and your set - hd is big eneough - 1100 ish will do that

save ya hassle in the long run
    you need to be on the wired network for online assesments, and just curious, if you dont do commerce then how do you know about setting up printing in the quinn school?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

connor2007, macbooks DO NOT come with parallels as standard, you have to buy it.

load of half truths in this thread about mac and windows.

thank christ i decided to go to a college that the IT crew aren't stuck up their own arses (in no way do i mean they are good either), but to have such a narrow view on technology takes the piss.

IT at large aren't too bad re: macs. However some decisions of college (like iPrint compared to usual IPP or Windows printing) have made mac use harder.

ILTG appeared to be a souped up version of IT, but narrowed onto Microsoft products only. In fact, a site or other application that doesn't effectively work in Firefox may have trouble with IE7 - i.e. badly coded.

ucd is a joke when it comes to technology
    mics-speakers-pc's-programs-blackboards-projectsors
    everything-they dont even use vista - ****e but its better than vista

sorry , you dont get it installed - but if you buy online you get a discount from being in college which will get ya 70 euro for paralells

printing-ucd give ya a mem stick so i would go to dadelus or anywhere with a printer and print that way

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Having done Commerce a couple of years ago and some IT tutoring I can see a lot of disinformation in this thread. Commerce do a lot of stuff in the classroom on laptops, this is related to the courses. This is different from other parts of UCD where people complete projects etc on laptops and submit the finished product, in this case it doesn't matter what Office you use. If you want someone to do something in class you can't have two or three different versions of software, this would lead to chaos and half the class being taken up with people fiddling with laptops. It is not a question of having a narrow view of technology, it is question of everyone having the same thing in class. ILTG are not a souped up version of IT, but part of a school, they have no brief to support technology as such, only to support the classes of the Quinn school and they haven't the staff to support half a dozen configurations.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Whatever the state of technology generally in UCD, the Quinn school have tried to use it. This thread talks about Office etc, but the point is that the laptop will be used for 3 years for a whole variety of things and nobody knows what these will be, except that they will be tested on the standard laptop configuration. For the OP, does he want to be in the following position. Week 7 of his second semester the lecturer arrives in class and tells everyone to run a link to a stock exchange game, for 3% of the marks, 49 people in class do this, but you can't run the thing on your mac. Do you fill in an extenuating circumstances form saying that you have the mac because the people on Boards.ie said it would be OK, or maybe you expect the lecturer to go back to chalk and talk because everyone has a different setup on their laptop?

That's why I'm suggesting a Parallels installation. I only ever have to use mine about once a week - but I've a choice of NT, 2000 or XP - in fact I can run all three at the same time if I really want to. I'm not saying that's the best way to go but my point is that if the OP wants to get a mac, a virtual PC on it should cover everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

Thanks for all the post guys, didn't think I'd get this many replies! :D As far as I can see, virtualising Windows on a Mac with whatever version of Office used could be a way of circumventing the Dell situation. Now that Boot Camp is out of Beta I can't see too many problems arising, besides networking and printing issues that someone mentioned. As for interoperability on projects and stuff, if I'm virtualising XP with the same version of Office as the rest, there shouldn't be a problem! Think I might get in contact, or wait till I get my place... or go to the more Mac friendly Trinity.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Ok I'm not in UCD but saw this and thought I'd post anyway. One .. I don't see why everyone keeps suggesting parallels? I have used it and it is pretty bad and messes with program settings also. Use bootcamp!! Its free.. it will come on your new machine and will then run xp like(and in some cases better than) any other intel pc. I have to use bootcamp to run autocad and it works great. Just boot into your windows partition at the start of each lecture and you should be sorted. Oh and office 2008 for mac is out in January which will do all the same things as 2007 but with a nicer interface.

• Advertisement

''Just get a copy of Windows and start up Boot Camp , now included with Leopard''

so give 20 gb of your 120 gb hard drive - can get bigger - thats the decent second grade macbook - and your set

you can run anything there - and use the macside otherwise

get an antivirus and firewall first! -when using windows on the web

Advertisement