Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking water...

• 02-12-2007 2:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed a change in taste of the tap water in recent weeks? I'm in the city centre area and have found the water to taste slightly more chlorinated over the past while! Anyone know anything about this, or can report similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yep. Just came back down on Friday, and the water's been pretty rotten. Am from behind the hospital - According to the parents, it's been like that since the start of the week, and they've been turning it off at night too.

We've had to get a supply of bottled water in it tastes so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

taste slightly more chlorinated over the past while!

Understatement of the year. It taste absolutly horrible and smells so strongly that I can easily smell it when I flush the toilet. I really worry how bad this is for you , and for the environment with all of this highly clorinated water getting back out into the streams/rivers and the sea :( .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This might explain the smell around our house at the moment, we assumed it was just that some of the rooms were not in use for sometime!

Living in Tramore btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I stay WELL away from tap water in Waterford. I noticed myself getting sick alot after drinking it over the past few months. My mother got e-coli from it.

I just drink from bottled water. Mother gets one of those big gallon bottles.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I stay WELL away from tap water in Waterford. I noticed myself getting sick alot after drinking it over the past few months. My mother got e-coli from it.

I just drink from bottled water. Mother gets one of those big gallon bottles.

Thats gonna cost a bomb though.

I would imagine that they have put more clorine into teh water in response to an increase in harmfull bacteria in the water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Fine out here in W4. Just came up from drinking a pint of it there a few mins ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't forget, water should be naturally brown
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7104114.stm

:)

Shouldn't be smelly mind you

Those Brita Water filters are the business imho,

Cabaal wrote: »

Those Brita Water filters are the business imho,

I am using one of them and although it does get alot of the taste/smell out it still tastes /smells horrible!! :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I am using one of them and although it does get alot of the taste/smell out it still tastes /smells horrible!! :mad:

jahsus must be bad then where you are, have no issues with it down where I live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It could be partly due to the recent rain, especially after dry periods. It washes more muck and stuff into the water, so they add more chlorine and stuff to counteract it. It happens from time to time where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I noticed a horrible taste from the tap water but as I'm on strong tablets that affect my sense of taste I just put it down to the tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Im in Tramore and its Grand... Sully, it might just be that dead corpse you have rotting in your foundations.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Kahless wrote: »
    It could be partly due to the recent rain, especially after dry periods. It washes more muck and stuff into the water, so they add more chlorine and stuff to counteract it. It happens from time to time where I live.

Amen, I know a lad in the water board and that's exactly what happens. I may well be seeing him for a pint later so I'll ask him if anything's going on.

Im in Tramore and its Grand... Sully, it might just be that dead corpse you have rotting in your foundations.... ;)

shh, we don't want the Gardai after him

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

shh, we don't want the Gardai after him

I stick by the water as an excuse. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I just assumed it was a precautionary measure implemented no thanks to the debacle that's going on in Galway. I can't drink the water any more because it smells and tastes like a mouthful of swimming pool water! I made a half-arsed attempt to find out why there's a sudden change and was just told "they've probably added more chlorine to it" but wasn't told why, although the reasons already posted do seem to be sound.

It's annoying because I used to drink a load of water - pints and pints a day, but now I can't even drink a humble cup of tea without getting a whiff of it! Although I must admit that if water quality is at the top of my worries this year, then I have it pretty good!

Regarding the water in Tramore, it's always been bad and I never ever touched the stuff unless it had been through around 43 boils and 77 Brita filters!

Ah sure, when we go to the toilet it just gets pumped into the sea or in the Pier. Hard to believe people swim in it.. Thats a whole different topic though.

Sully wrote: »
    Ah sure, when we go to the toilet it just gets pumped into the sea or in the Pier. Hard to believe people swim in it.. Thats a whole different topic though.

They not putting it through a treatment plant yet?
    feckin hell, I remember years ago there was a massive pipe on the beach and all sorts of **** coming out of it, I never went swimming in tramore because of that.

They not putting it through a treatment plant yet?
    feckin hell, I remember years ago there was a massive pipe on the beach and all sorts of **** coming out of it, I never went swimming in tramore because of that.

They extended the pipe and made a newer treatment plant thingy, but as far as im aware it was said after all that work was done that no imporvement was made. As in, they didnt upgrade or put in a fancy treatment plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Sully wrote: »

Since my first visit to Waterford I've heard it said that when you swin in Tramore you're going through the motions :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thats gonna cost a bomb though.

I would imagine that they have put more clorine into teh water in response to an increase in harmfull bacteria in the water?

It's not that expensive. 2 gallon bottles is usually enough per week for the whole family. I mean, you're just having a glass of water. For tea, we just use the normal tap water as it's boiled and the boiling kills off anything harmful. People would spend more on coke or 7up or whatever..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.envirolab.ie/

or you could try WRH, there is a lab in Dungarvan unfortunatly I dont know the name.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Havent been home in a month or so but I'm in college in Galway so I'm really only drinking bottled stuff still! It's not nice studying microbiology and therefore really understanding what can be in your tap water, especially the west of Ireland, has a horrendous record with water regulations and the epa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

You could even contact the WIT if they have a micro-lab. We do it from time to time in our place.

Asmodean wrote: »
    It's not nice studying microbiology and therefore really understanding what can be in your tap water, especially the west of Ireland, has a horrendous record with water regulations and the epa.

I can imagine, must be fun knowing what kinda crap is swimming around in the water that you wash with and stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm in Cherrymount and my sister is at Riverview neither of us has tasted anything much different to normal. Not that normal is anything great mind you.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was at my brothers wedding in the Granville and you could smell the chlorine and taste it.

Wasn't there an X-Files on how bad chlorine in water is bad for you. I tells ya the aliens are invading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

trishw78 wrote: »
    I was at my brothers wedding in the Granville and you could smell the chlorine and taste it.

Wasn't there an X-Files on how bad chlorine in water is bad for you. I tells ya the aliens are invading.

I'm in Upper City area. Same here since Monday last. Have to buy drinking water. It's dire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

mike65 wrote: »
    http://www.envirolab.ie/

or you could try WRH, there is a lab in Dungarvan unfortunatly I dont know the name.

Mike.
    microchem is the labs in dungarvan

Advertisement