Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never played Warcraft. Should I dare?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Right, should I risk kissing my life away this christmas with this? I know the lark here as I did dapple with Ultima Online years ago. I reckon I will have a month free. :D

Comments

Of course you should! It's brilliant.

and play Horde side, the allies are useless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

bluewolf wrote: »

and play Horde side, the allies are useless :D

Interesting... so it's divided ala - original warcraft trolls/orcs vs humans(elves+ so on)? Can you switch sides or even play spy on a fifth column in enemy territory? Know I could google it but its always fun to hear it from someone who has played. :D

hamster wrote: »
    Interesting... so it's divided ala - original warcraft trolls/orcs vs humans(elves+ so on)? Can you switch sides or even play spy on a fifth column in enemy territory? Know I could google it but its always fun to hear it from someone who has played. :D

Nah, once you pick a faction on a server that's where you stay, on that server
    You can pvp and clash with them or pve and ignore them or a bit of both

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

a month ;)

sure you'll be up to such a point as to say "well if I stop now it'll be a month of progress down the jax" so you'll keep playing. oh yes.

god, I'm at the point of using the parental controls feature on myself. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

bluewolf wrote: »

and play Alliance side, the Horde are played mainly by angry 12 year olds :D
    Fixed;)

Theres 2 main types of Server - PVE or PVP(there's also Role playing servers as well but I'm not going into them)
    Theres pros and Cons to both:
    If you pick a PVP server , other than a few safe areas , you're open to attack from the opposing side , which is fun when you're setup towards PVP , or on for a bit of mass warfare , but a pain in the h()le when yo're trying to get some quests done , and you're being attacked by someone 10+ levels highre than you , continually.
    PVE only allows you to fight another player in specific areas, its a lot "safer" than PVP , but apparantly its not as exciting.plus you cant move a character created on a PVE server to a PVP one , whereas a PVP character can get a (paid) transfer anywhere.

I'm in an Alliance guild in Mazrigos(which is PVP) called Ronin ,which is made up of a fair few Irish/uk/swedish bods.
    Theres a lot of guys on the forums here who are in Irish guilds too on various different servers (mostly horde),

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

As much as people like to sell the idea PvP servers are better then PvE it's just not true. Personally I prefer not being hacked up by some level 70 while i'm trying to quest. If I want to do PvP there's always the battleground. You can still go out ganking if you like on a PvE server, just in a few less areas.

In fairness, there's FA difference between the two imo. You'll find more 14 ear olds on a PvP tho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive always played on a pvp realm but have transferred all bar one char to a pve realm over the past 6 months and do not regret getting away from the tards.
    The only char i left on pvp is my 70 rogue whom i never play and am totally bored of.

As Layke says you tend to find the kids on pvp realms.
    When i transferred i was instantly surprised at the more mature players on pve,i always thought it was a myth but trust me its not.

Ive got my alliance chars in a nice adult guild on Kilrogg and my Hordies on Agrammar [only recently transferred these guys so not looked for guild yet].

I did enjoy levelling up my first chars on pvp but that was in the first year of release and i soon tired of ganking and been ganked.

To me battlegrounds is a snoozefest where as i love instances and raids hence pve realsm are my choice the past 2 years or so.

Neither pvp or pve is better than the other,it just comes down to personal choice i feel.

Well lads I bought it today and will install on the 22nd dec. Ye won't see me again! :D

I wish to do some coop questin' and avoid the pvp server model for now. OK, so the dynamics of a real war will be missed - but I'd like to try the quest side of things first.

Is GuildWars any good? It's free to play online but hasn't received as much press obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Well lads I bought it today and will install on the 22nd dec. Ye won't see me again! :D

I wish to do some coop questin' and avoid the pvp server model for now. OK, so the dynamics of a real war will be missed - but I'd like to try the quest side of things first.

Is GuildWars any good? It's free to play online but hasn't received as much press obviously.

Do NOT go PVE at the start. PVE is boring as hell. PVP adds spice to it. You cant move from PVE to PVP without restarting your character. Trust me.

PVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Here we go again...

Just to nip this in the butt... the chances of you seeing another player between level 1 and 55, let alone another player of the opposing faction between the same level range is very slim...

However, the odds of you just barely getting away from a big bunch of NPC's 1-2 levels higher than you, sitting down to eat/drink only to half some rogue come and gank you is surprisingly quite high :p

In addition, the only time you really notice a difference between a PvP server and a PvE server is when you are prowling around STV looking for people to gank, or when you are gathering outside an instance waiting to raid and a massive **** stirring contest starts. And trust me, that is only have as fun as previously advertised.

Pick whichever server you want, especially if it has people on it that you want to join... but dont pick a server type because some random chap on boards tells you its boring as hell otherwise.

• Advertisement

So better to go on a PvP server then - assuming the odds of getting your daily quest smashed at a critical moment is not too high? Might swing me in favor of PvP - as it is a war afterall. Like to interact as well too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

If you're getting ganked all the time does that mean your repair bills are always high? Or does pvp fighting not damage gear similar to how pvp is handled on a PVE realm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Dying to a player does not cause you any durability loss/repair bills. However, invariably what happens is you are fighting an NPC and then a player will come and attack you, but the NPC will be the one to finish you off. Causing you to lose durability. Either case, the biggest loss is time.

And Hamster, I was quite happy on a PvP server for almost 2 years. It is a helluva lot of fun, but I think I was just too honourable for it all. I generally wouldnt attack someone else first unless they attacked me. Of course there was my whole druid phase which was the exception... where I spent almost the entirety of my 30's running around STV ganking everyone and anyone but especially gnome/night elf rogues ;)

So better to go on a PvP server then - assuming the odds of getting your daily quest smashed at a critical moment is not too high? Might swing me in favor of PvP - as it is a war afterall. Like to interact as well too though.
    If its your first character on a PVP server , going druid mightnt be a bad idea, in that if you want to actively attack other players , with the right spec you should be ok. But if you want to avoid getting ganked , the ability to stealth(invisibilty) and the fact that opposing players show up on your map (track humanoids) are a massive bonus.I played as priest on a PVP server , and stranglegankvale was a nightmare, playing as a druid it was a breeze.
    Also a druid isnt locked down that much in their roles , depending on how you spec you can be a DPS/Tank/Healer.

Its your call though.

Fixed;)

You must be joking! Alli barrens chat consists of "hi so who here is bi" o.O
    Ok ok it's barrens chat but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Faylum

My advise is to Join horde on Outland server, i will invite you to my guild and look after you. Plus be nice to get a few Irish people in the guild!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

I'll just say install it sooner than then and then patch it i'll say theres about 4 hours of patches to download with broadband. dont want to be wasting valuable game time downloading it :p
    when u install wow i dont think u have to set up an account to patch it cos i was trying to use a freinds account and got his username and pw wrong but it started patching it anyway

edit: hehe I am going back to wow aswell this christmas can't wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Agreed, not to mention the 9 CD's you have to install first.
    On my crappy P4 2.8 it takes about 3 hours.

then patch it i'll say theres about 4 hours of patches to download with broadband

You are kidding me right? Window XP updates take only 2 hours with 77 updates from service pack onwards (at least last year anyway). OMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

yep thats about right, an out of the box verson of WoW took about 3 hours of patching for me to get going. granted my PC isnt the best in the world its 3 years old and i only have a 2MB connection but still you'll be a while patching the game before you can play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

If you have bought (or downloaded) the burning crusade expansion it contains most of the earlier patches from the original WoW install, will save an age when re-installing.
    Install WoW - Install BurningCrusade - Patch (2 smallish ones I think).
    instead of:
    Install WoW - 5+ big patches - Install BurningCrusade - Patch.

Wow I mean wow! :D I guess some 3rd party tool will appear for making an update iso merging all the patches (like xp's nLite tool). lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Faylum

You are kidding me right? Window XP updates take only 2 hours with 77 updates from service pack onwards (at least last year anyway). OMG!

Its worth it m8, you never need your CD's again and that means no scratching and re-buying a game cause you left your pint on it.
    And the upload time is nothing compared with blitzkrieg which took 6hrs and then crashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Wow I mean wow! :D I guess some 3rd party tool will appear for making an update iso merging all the patches (like xp's nLite tool). lol!
    The patches stay in the WoW directory and are .exe so you can just back them up in case you need to reinstall at some point. If you know someone else who plays WoW, you can just get them to stick them on a CD for you if you don't want the hassle of downloading them.

If you think the patching is bad, when I bought BC, the final disk wouldn't work, so I ended up having to download the whole thing from the site. :(

Interestingly WoW is self contained within its folder - so if you backed it up to a USB hard disk (or a pen drive , but a big one as its about 8-9 gbs) you can run it from any (vaguely decent) pc simply by connecting the drive and clicking on \world of warcraft\wow.exe
    I've done this a few times in netcafes (saves you waiting for them to run patches and lets you have your own mods/addons etc).
    Also may save you having to do an install if you have any mates who already have a working copy of it installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Foolish muboop1, linking to copyrighted shows. Snip snip snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Interestingly WoW is self contained within its folder - so if you backed it up to a USB hard disk (or a pen drive , but a big one as its about 8-9 gbs) you can run it from any (vaguely decent) pc simply by connecting the drive and clicking on \world of warcraft\wow.exe
    have a working copy of it installed?

Seriously!!! that actually works!!!

Oh oh!! theres goes me working ..... at all ....... ever again!

Well thats excellent - that you can do that - like those old dos days when you could zip that game folder up for later. Ahem, except on a massive scale - good that we got those 500Gb external drives eh?

As promised - installing wow as of now... I could have a few hours of installing ahead of me... still only on cd2 of 5 after... let's see... 15 mins.

installing.png

Of course any boardies looking for a new member - let me know! :)
    I haven't choosen any class/char yet of course (looking at light magic/sneaker/fighter type).

Might get through a movie before this is done. :D

• Advertisement

ok, I see the character thread - once I'm done I add it to there.

Advertisement