Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocking

Options
  • 02-12-2007 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Im not looking for hints nor tips here but is it as easy as taking a fuse out to stop the clock on a car?

I drive a company car owned by a fleet management company and i do take the fuse out to stop the clock..is it that easy?Surely the computer in the car always knows the mileage??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Ive been told it's not illegal to stop it, but is illegal not to tell the person when you sell it on.. apprently it's just a mater of disconnecting a cable.. never tried though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

patrickc wrote: »
    Ive been told it's not illegal to stop it, but is illegal not to tell the person when you sell it on.. apprently it's just a mater of disconnecting a cable.. never tried though

I just unplug the fuse and the clock stops i also have to give up on all the clocks,cruse control,a/c and the battery also dies after about 170km/s(just plug it in and out) but its worth it to save 1000's of km/s !Is there no backup system on the computer to register mileage done on a vehicle?

I just unplug the fuse and the clock stops i also have to give up on all the clocks,cruse control,a/c and the battery also dies after about 170km/s(just plug it in and out) but its worth it to save 1000's of km/s !Is there no backup system on the computer to register mileage done on a vehicle?

why do you bother on a fleet car?
    and I don;t know about the back up computer, I've never heard of one

patrickc wrote: »
    why do you bother on a fleet car?
    and I don;t know about the back up computer, I've never heard of one

Limited usage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Waht goes around, comes around.....Scum

• Advertisement

Limited usage

thats sh*t
    Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Waht goes around, comes around.....Scum

i dont agree with clocking cars myself.. many do it though

This forum is for people into cars or with genuine car related questions......not stupid arsed deceiving scumbags wondering how to clock their car.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    This forum is for people into cars or with genuine car related questions......not stupid arsed deceiving scumbags wondering how to clock their car.
    This forum is also about teaching greenhorns like yourself about the way o the world..sorry for bringing you into it,long live honest virgin goat milkers.

This forum is also about teaching greenhorns like yourself about the way o the world..sorry for bringing you into it,long live honest virgin goat milkers.
    Clocks get tampered with!Now you are informed!!Go promote boards.ie

I have never bought a clocked car....I never will....
    A thread informing people wht to look out for would be usefull. ( it should be a sticky)
    A thread from someone asking how to clock a car isnt usefull!!
    This forum isnt about helping clockers with their "problems and queries"
    In my mind hes a criminal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I always thought company car drivers would be more likely to clock a car upwards (add miles on), to reduce their BIK liability.

Otherwise, why would you clock somebody else's car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Well the old fashioned way to stop a clock is to disconnect the speedometer cable that usually runs into the clutch.
    It's a pretty daft thing to do though as you'd be left driving with to indication of your speed.

Some newer cars such as BMW now operate a backup system RE mileage.
    Every time the car is started the mileage is downloaded to a chip in the key.
    If the car's mileage is lower than the mileage on the key then the key mileage is uploaded to the car.

Car clocking is rife, there's numerous ads in BuyandSell every week offering "Digital Mileage Correction" for ~€50.

It's pretty hard to spot a clocked car I suppose you could look out for
    -Wear on the steering wheel, usually starts to show at +80k miles.
    -The engine condition, slow oil leakage, etc.
    -Sometimes people are stupid enough to clock the car but leave the real
    mileage in other places such as on the service sticker inside the driver's door or scratched on the T-belt cover indicating when it was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Im not looking for hints nor tips here but is it as easy as taking a fuse out to stop the clock on a car?

I drive a company car owned by a fleet management company and i do take the fuse out to stop the clock..is it that easy?Surely the computer in the car always knows the mileage??

So what type of company car do you drive and for what company so someone knows not what to buy :mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im not looking for hints nor tips here
    OK
    but is it as easy as taking a fuse out to stop the clock on a car?
    Sounds like you are looking for a hint or a tip! One on how to clock a car!
    thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement