Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing cows for mars bars?

• 02-12-2007 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Mars inc started putting calf rennet in many of their products.

I was thinking, Mars sell so much food every year, what if demand for the animal byproducts actually outstripped demand for meat, would cows then be killed just to make mars bars?

Otherwise i'm gonna continue eating mars bars :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

what is rennet?
    With the amount of meat consumed internationally compared to how much of this rennet put into the mars bar....I'm sure it's no problems... but what do i know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

As far as I know they have stopped using animal by-products to make Mars bars due to huge pressure

Oh and rennet is made from the inner lining of a calf's stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes this lasted all of a few weeks before they listened to their customers and went back to normal.... old news.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

grasshopa wrote: »
    Mars inc started putting calf rennet in many of their products.

I was thinking, Mars sell so much food every year, what if demand for the animal byproducts actually outstripped demand for meat, would cows then be killed just to make mars bars?

Otherwise i'm gonna continue eating mars bars :)

I believe I pwned the mars bar owners into making their products vegetarian, took a couple of weeks. :)

A lot of foods have animal byproducts in them, even if people did not eat meat, the animals would still be killed for those products, if they were still being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

A lot of foods have animal byproducts in them, even if people did not eat meat, the animals would still be killed for those products, if they were still being used.

No they wouldn't, the cost of rearing an animal to be slaughtered for something made from the lining of its stomach would be far two high.
    even if its slaughtered as a calf the cost of keeping the cows required to produce the calves would still be too high.

And lets face profits are any companys main concern

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

To poster above me, if theoretically demand for animal byproducts did outstrip meat, what would happen?

grasshopa wrote: »
    To poster above me, if theoretically demand for animal byproducts did outstrip meat, what would happen?

Ok in theory if demand for by products did outstrip meat, that would leave these by-products at rediculous prices because what little money a farmer gets for the meat of the animal would need to be matched or bettered.

After all no one will breed these animals unless they can make money. Given the weight of meat in the animal versus that of the by-products that would leave choclate bars very expensive especially considering there are alternative available

700+ euro's cost price for a box of mars bars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

emaherx wrote: »
    No they wouldn't, the cost of rearing an animal to be slaughtered for something made from the lining of its stomach would be far two high.
    even if its slaughtered as a calf the cost of keeping the cows required to produce the calves would still be too high.

And lets face profits are any companys main concern

There are a lot more animals than cows that are used for animal byproducts.
    Animals are killed only for their byproducts etc, eg beetles and so on.
    A lot of these 'cheaper' animals would be used still. I imagine if the price of gelatin was too high from a cow, they would simply use an alternative. In fact, a cow may be the only animal that your point applies to. Also, cows wouild still be raised for milk, cram, butter etc, and when the farmer kills them, their byproducts could be used. A cow is far from worthless even without the meat, I imagine they would try to find a way to make such profits, even if it seems unfeasible.
    Given the weight of meat in the animal versus that of the by-products that would leave choclate bars very expensive especially considering there are alternative available
    Ther are hardly any bars that use animal products. Their price would not go up.

There are a lot more animals than cows that are used for animal byproducts.
    Animals are killed only for their byproducts etc, eg beetles and so on.
    A lot of these 'cheaper' animals would be used still. I imagine if the price of gelatin was too high from a cow, they would simply use an alternative. In fact, a cow may be the only animal that your point applies to. Also, cows wouild still be raised for milk, cram, butter etc, and when the farmer kills them, their byproducts could be used. A cow is far from worthless even without the meat, I imagine they would try to find a way to make such profits, even if it seems unfeasible.
    ok but cows were my point and also the point of the thread
    infact its a thread called killing COWS for mars bars. :D

Even when a dairy cow comes to the end of her useful life she is still slaughtered for meat, other by-products are just that "by-products". Also given that half of cattle reared are male they are not much use for dairy, infact a dairy herd only requires one male.
    So a Bullock is worthless for any thing other than meat.
    I imagine if the price of gelatin was too high from a cow, they would simply use an alternative.
    I know I just said that in my last post
    Ther are hardly any bars that use animal products. Their price would not go up.
    That was the hypethetical answer to the question "what if the demand for such by products was to out strip that of meat?"
    an unlikely outcome sure. So obviously the price of choclate is safe.

My only point to all this is Mars arent going to slaghter cattle for Mars bars (if they were to contuine using rennet, which they arent) but would only use by products which would come from animals slaughtered for the food industry anyway.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    ok but cows were my point and also the point of the thread
    infact its a thread called killing COWS for mars bars. :D
    Yes, well I am just answering the broad question that was asked in a specific way.
    Even when a dairy cow comes to the end of her useful life she is still slaughtered for meat, other by-products are just that "by-products". Also given that half of cattle reared are male they are not much use for dairy, infact a dairy herd only requires one male.
    So a Bullock is worthless for any thing other than meat.
    My point is, yes they are by-procts now, if the cow was not killed for meat, it wouldn't be a by-product of getting meat now would it?
    We could export all the bullocks to India.
    I know I just said that in my last post
    But my sentence had an entirely different point, it is that, they could just use another animal instead of a cow. And unless somebody cares just about cows, and no other animal - like grasshoppa, they it doesn't matter that a cow is too expensive to rear and kill for rennet, gelatin etc.
    That was the hypethetical answer to the question "what if the demand for such by products was to out strip that of meat?"
    an unlikely outcome sure. So obviously the price of choclate is safe.
    What?
    It doesn't matter if it is unlikely or not, even if it did happen, chocolate bars would not be expensive.
    My only point to all this is Mars arent going to slaghter cattle for Mars bars (if they were to contuine using rennet, which they arent) but would only use by products which would come from animals slaughtered for the food industry anyway.
    Well yes, I said that in my last post. ;)

And as I said, unless you only love cows like grasshoppa :P then it doesn't matter, other animals will di in their stead, it does not matter if cows were unfeasable to raise and kill.

Advertisement