Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Focus raises the bar even higher again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Auto Express "first drives" of anything are rarely critical. Nice facelift though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yeah, they did a good job of improving the overly-conservative MkII. I always thought if you came out of prison after being incarcerated for 10 years and saw the MkI and II beside one another you'd pick out the older car as the fresher model...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

pburns wrote: »
    I always thought if you came out of prison after being incarcerated for 10 years and saw the MkI and II beside one another you'd pick out the older car as the fresher model...

Agree.

Even more glowing review:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=301

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sounds very good indeed, tho it's the ugliest Focus to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

sorry for going slightly off topic but is it me or is the new mondeo not selling that well , i think its a great looking car and i like mondeos anyway but i have not seen all that much of the new model around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

seen a few 07 mondeos as taxis, but not many other than that.

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    sorry for going slightly off topic but is it me or is the new mondeo not selling that well , i think its a great looking car and i like mondeos anyway but i have not seen all that much of the new model around

There is a pretty long waiting list for them. I was talking to the storeman in a Ford dealership a few months ago, and he said you would need to have been ordering then if you wanted a car by Feb.

Honest John's review of the Focus suggests the same thing.

Not sure about the looks of the new focus either, but it is at least more interesting than the MkII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That would be because it only came out in the summer, and 60% of new car sales are in Jan-March, I would expect Ford to sell them by the bucketload come next January, especially as it now has that all important 1.6 available again after a 7 year absence(which of course will be completely irrelevant come July next year).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wrong 1.6 though imho. Anyhow back to the Focus MkIII.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pretty sure it is you, as noted above they are selling as fast as they can be provided for sale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Exterior styling looks different but no better than before. Dash is still bland and big deal if it's now more rubbery than before and has "Mondeo style" clocks. If they are offering the same engines as before presumably they'll be continuing with the crappy 80 bhp 1.4 and 100 bhp 1.6. The new Mondeo still has a miserable 2 year warranty here, will the Focus be the same

Have to laugh at the British magazines hyping up the Focus and Fords generally. Yes the handling is very good but the ride comfort is poor for Irish roads. I also don't think it's true to say that this car is "so heavily revised it’s effectively a Focus Mk III" as stated in the honestjohn review. Whoever wrote that review seems to be be using the Focus to have a go a Volkswagen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

maidhc wrote: »
    There is a pretty long waiting list for them. I was talking to the storeman in a Ford dealership a few months ago, and he said you would need to have been ordering then if you wanted a car by Feb.

Lyons in Limerick had about 15 unreg'd on the forecourt last week when I was out there, but I heard one salesman saying that a 2.0 TDCi Auto Zetec wouldn't be in until July at the earliest.

There's a lot of them out there, just not the ones people want

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I wonder if ESP will be standard here as well.If it isn't it would'nt be the first time.e.g ESP has been standard on the golf mk 5 in the uk since launch and i'm fairly sure that it still isn't standard on the golf here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I wonder if ESP will be standard here as well.If it isn't it would'nt be the first time.e.g ESP has been standard on the golf mk 5 in the uk since launch and i'm fairly sure that it still isn't standard on the golf here

Well to nitpick...the MKV Golf does now have ASR as standard...I'm sure Ford will jump on the bandwagon. as will everyone else at facelift time...as it's really embarrassing to be outspecced by VW:eek::eek:

ninty9er wrote: »
    Well to nitpick...the MKV Golf does now have ASR as standard...I'm sure Ford will jump on the bandwagon. as will everyone else at facelift time...as it's really embarrassing to be outspecced by VW:eek::eek:

And to nitpick even more:D ASR is not the same as ESP at all. But it is highly embarassing to be outdone by VW, sure even the Polo has aircon as satandard on all versions these days:eek:.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Exterior styling looks different but no better than before. Dash is still bland and big deal if it's now more rubbery than before and has "Mondeo style" clocks. If they are offering the same engines as before presumably they'll be continuing with the crappy 80 bhp 1.4 and 100 bhp 1.6. The new Mondeo still has a miserable 2 year warranty here, will the Focus be the same

Have to laugh at the British magazines hyping up the Focus and Fords generally. Yes the handling is very good but the ride comfort is poor for Irish roads. I also don't think it's true to say that this car is "so heavily revised it’s effectively a Focus Mk III" as stated in the honestjohn review. Whoever wrote that review seems to be be using the Focus to have a go a Volkswagen

Honestly your bitterness makes me laugh. Whatever your opinion might be your blinkers render it largely meaningless.

Lyons in Limerick had about 15 unreg'd on the forecourt last week when I was out there, but I heard one salesman saying that a 2.0 TDCi Auto Zetec wouldn't be in until July at the earliest.

There's a lot of them out there, just not the ones people want

Possibly, but until the VRT and road tax rules change (announcement due in the budget with introduction mid 2008) such a car would have been too expensive.

The "ones people want" can all be had. Dealers frequently swap stock.

The Focus chassis is so far ahead of the game it doesn't need ESP or ASR.

I drove a 2.5 ST for a year and it was fine without it/them.

VW are dropping independent rear suspension on the MkVI Golf btw. Focus has had this on all models since 1998.

VW are dropping independent rear suspension on the MkVI Golf btw. Focus has had this on all models since 1998.

I hear they are fitting leaf springs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ESP or ASR on a 1.4/1.6 litre car with 100bhp or less is hardly a necessity though is it?

Anyway back on topic. Will wait until I see the facelifted Focus in the flesh before giving my final verdict.

Not sure though that the new styling carved onto the old look works that well. From the pictures the front nose looks out of place with the existing design from the cabin back.

Speaking as the owner of one for 6 weeks now the Focus is a very good car but it isn't the complete package. I think they do need to start bringing their bread and butter engines into the 21st century. 80bhp from a 1.4 litre and 100bhp from a 1.6 litre should not be acceptable in 2007. No direct injection, variable valve timing technology, etc offerings is poor imo.

They also need to improve sound proofing in the cabin imo.The chassis and handling has been engineered well but there is still room for improvement in other areas. Overall a good car though.

• Advertisement

I believe that this is only for the US/North America. They are going to be making cars for the US that will be more US friendly in the future, and these will have much simpler chassis designs, but higher spec interiors instead. Europe will be business as usual apparantly.

that is some of the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever heard. I have esp on my car and it is fine without esp too, it has never come on, but it isn't supposed to kick in unless you are in serious trouble already. esp isn't there to help the handling it is to prevent spins etc when people misjudge speed through corners. a chassis doesn't make any fecking difference when someone goes around a corner too fast and keeps turning into it, esp will.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Agree with Copa ^^

Maybe biased as I went thru sales training when esp was just introduced , but I seen what it can do on the skid pan , regular driver with esp will beat a pro without , via a slalom in the wet .Nice safety feature if you overcook it in a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Churchy wrote: »
    Agree with Copa ^^

Maybe biased as I went thru sales training when esp was just introduced , but I seen what it can do on the skid pan , regular driver with esp will beat a pro without , via a slalom in the wet .Nice safety feature if you overcook it in a corner.

Agree ...but :D ... a well engineered chassis should let you know well in advance that you are about to overcook things (and I'm let to belive that the Focus has a pretty good chassis setup)

peasant wrote: »
    Agree ...but :D ... a well engineered chassis should let you know well in advance that you are about to overcook things (and I'm let to belive that the Focus has a pretty good chassis setup)

aw man, please don't go down the route of 'i'm such a good driver that I don't need things like esp'.

I suppose you would feel from the chassis that you had gone way to fast into a corner on a wet road and can recover a car from the resulting skid better than an esp system?

copacetic wrote: »
    that is some of the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever heard. I have esp on my car and it is fine without esp too, it has never come on, but it isn't supposed to kick in unless you are in serious trouble already. esp isn't there to help the handling it is to prevent spins etc when people misjudge speed through corners. a chassis doesn't make any fecking difference when someone goes around a corner too fast and keeps turning into it, esp will.

Eh no. If you have a rubbish chassis to begin with you won't be able to push as hard before you lose it. The chassis will also dictate what happens to the car when it does lose control. It is by far and away the most important part of how a car drives. Although some manufacturers use ESP and traction control to paper over the cracks on a poor handling car.

ronoc wrote: »
    Eh no. If you have a rubbish chassis to begin with you won't be able to push as hard before you lose it. The chassis will also dictate what happens to the car when it does lose control. It is by far and away the most important part of how a car drives. Although some manufacturers use ESP and traction control to paper over the cracks on poor handling car.

oh sweet mother of god, i see where this is going:rolleyes:.

copacetic wrote: »
    oh sweet mother of god, i see where this is going:rolleyes:.

Well spit it out then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On a completely unrelated note, they've put traction control, stability control, and brake assist onto the 1.6 Avensis for 2008, not that you'd need it of course!

• Advertisement

Good god this thread has turned truly awful. So much bitching and bitterness.

Advertisement