Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Focus raises the bar even higher again.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

JHMEG wrote: »
    FWD cars by definition don't "spin" out, and ordinary joes don't think that a quick flick of opposite lock will correct anything.

I think that its more correct to say that FWD cars will tend to understeer and RWD cars will tend towards oversteer but the rule is not absolute. I've spun two FWD cars in my younger and more foolish days - one was an '88 Starlet and one was a '90 Carina. In both situations the road was greasy, I wasn't going really fast and in both cases opposite lock made no difference. I've owned plenty of RWD cars including a 2.5 litre Spitfire with a swing axle so I'm very familiar with the joys of opposite lock.

Not sure I get the argument about well sorted chassis vs not well sorted etc etc. Surely the main difference in a FWD car for the average joe is at what point it will understeer, and how badly. FWD cars by definition don't "spin" out, and ordinary joes don't think that a quick flick of opposite lock will correct anything.

The way the MK1 focus' rear suspension is setup its possible to get liftoff overstear. Ive never tried it with the MK2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

New car looks ok, there's only so much you can say. It's a Focus at the end of the day. If it was an Enzo I could understand the fuss but it's a Focus. I'd say the same if it was a Golf but seriously, there's only so much passion a human being should have for a mid sized a to b car?! For what it's worth, my car is well planted, handles well.. It would make it a much harder car to drive if it didn't have esp/traction/dsc etc and it has nothing to do with the level of skill the driver has. There's a button there to turn it all off if you like but it's still nice to have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

If you put the MK I, II and III alongside each other there is little difference between any of them. I like car to progress in design, like the Renault Laguna, for example.

I've never liked the Focus, like all Ford's, they seem to have this 'bigtoycar' feel to them. Yuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

MarkN wrote: »
    N...For what it's worth, my car is well planted, handles well.. It would make it a much harder car to drive if it didn't have esp/traction/dsc etc a...

I don't get that. Safety features are there to get you out of trouble when you get yourself into trouble. They are a safety margin. They shouldn't make a car easier to drive. In fact they shouldn't change the driving character of a car at all. The exception do that is when they do tweak the electronic aids to change the natural behavior of the car. Thats usually when the car handles naturally badly, or has some nasty trait.

You can over cook a car that handles well, just as you can a badly handling car. Some of the best handling cars in the world have some nasty traits that will put you through a hedge backwards if you over do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ronoc wrote: »
    The way the MK1 focus' rear suspension is setup its possible to get liftoff overstear. Ive never tried it with the MK2.
    I very much doubt that, being front engined. In all my years of driving I've only had this happen once, and only very mildly, in an MR2.

In case I'm missing something a quick google leads to evo magazine: "not many Focus owners will be too worried about a lack of lift-off oversteer"

If you put the MK I, II and III alongside each other there is little difference between any of them. I like car to progress in design, like the Renault Laguna, for example.

I've never liked the Focus, like all Ford's, they seem to have this 'bigtoycar' feel to them. Yuk.

I never liked the design of the focus, its always been butt ugly IMO. Awkward angles all over the place. The only half decent ones looking ones have been the RS and the ST. At least they are half decent to drive.

The Laguna might be progress in design/fashion, but thats about the only progress. But least they are trying, if not always succeeding.

I very much doubt that, being front engined. In all my years of driving I've only had this happen once, and only very mildly, in an MR2.

Front engined and lift off over steer are not mutually exclusive. 205 being a case in point. I know from experience a CRX would do it too.

BostonB wrote: »
    Front engined and lift off over steer are not mutually exclusive. 205 being a case in point. I know from experience a CRX would do it too.
    Front engined and FWD makes it nearly impossible. I know my Integra would break loose at the back at times, but lift off over-steer wasn't the reason. It was gravel or a greasy road.

• Advertisement

In case I'm missing something a quick google leads to evo magazine: "not many Focus owners will be too worried about a lack of lift-off oversteer"
    Thats a Mk2 focus..

I owned MK1 for a year I think I should know! On second gear corners on the limit if you lift off the back will start to give way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

I don't get that. Safety features are there to get you out of trouble when you get yourself into trouble.

Well even with all the tricks on I have managed to get the back of my car out in the wet, unplanned, very easily. I can only imagine how much fun it would be without stuff like we have mentioned.

Thats a Mk2 focus..

I owned MK1 for a year I think I should know! On second gear corners on the limit if you lift off the back will start to give way.
    My apologies. Which version did you own?

@BostonB. I said nearly impossible, not impossible. Those guys are talking about quite a bit of practice required to get an ITR to do it. And that's an ITR.. imagine what an ordinary FWD car would be like.

My apologies. Which version did you own?

@BostonB. I said nearly impossible, not impossible. Those guys are talking about quite a bit of practice required to get an ITR to do it. And that's an ITR.. imagine what an ordinary FWD car would be like.

It was a humble 1.4, if you pushed it the right way the back would slide a bit as you let off the throttle. Granted you either have to be chucking it hard in a corner or have a greasy surface.

It was a humble 1.4, if you pushed it the right way the back would slide a bit as you let off the throttle. Granted you either have to be chucking it hard in a corner or have a greasy surface.
    Ahh, greasy surfaces doesn't count (and neither does gravel or ice rinks:D), as a car will not behave normally on these surfaces.

Have driven my bro in law's 1.4 MkI a lot, last time was yesterday. Wouldn't say it has a tendancy, or power, to under or oversteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Have driven my bro in law's 1.4 MkI a lot, last time was yesterday. Wouldn't say it has a tendancy, or power, to under or oversteer.

:)

I have a 1.8TDCi version of the same car, and while significantly more powerful than the 1.4 at 115bhp, I don't think it can do anything other than run wide eventually... and in fairness to the car I run out of balls before it runs out of grip.

maidhc wrote: »
    :)

I have a 1.8TDCi version of the same car, and while significantly more powerful than the 1.4 at 115bhp, I don't think it can do anything other than run wide eventually... and in fairness to the car I run out of balls before it runs out of grip.

Get yourself on a large roundabout, progressively and steadily increase throttle. See what happens. Obviously this roundabout will be in mondello or similar.

...@BostonB. I said nearly impossible, not impossible. Those guys are talking about quite a bit of practice required to get an ITR to do it. And that's an ITR.. imagine what an ordinary FWD car would be like.
    I very much doubt that, being front engined. In all my years of driving I've only had this happen once, and only very mildly, in an MR2.....

Semantics. Your inference that its impossible with a FWD car is clear from your comment. Fact it is possible as the video clearly shows. Some FWD cars were well known for it. 205, CRX etc. Its pretty easy to provoke all it takes is to unbalance the car. To do it deliberately takes skill. But generally it happens when you aren't expecting it, and not deliberately.

Of course it depends which MR2 you are talking about. The Mk1 and early Mk2 suffered from it. But the later Mk2 MR2's where changed to reduce lift off oversteer. Of course a lot of them were modified. Bigger tyres and suspension changes are going effect lift off oversteer in a big way. The early turbos where great fun when the turbo cut in mid way through a corner, people would lift off, even break, then the back end would start wagging. If you didn't experience it then you didn't drive it hard enough or you had the sense to brake before the corner and not in the middle of it.

Modern cars tend to have the trait dialed out and usually understeer usually a lot instead. Cars like the 205, CRX, MR2 break away too suddenly so its not a good trait. Especially as lifting off mid corner is a natural response if you've over cooked the corner. For the average joe you want understeer not oversteer. What you want is a car that can over steer but in a controlled way and break away gradually so you can control it. The ITR can do this, in many ways it handles like a RWD car, but then it has one of the best chassis ever. So its not really useful to compare it to other FWD cars, especially "ordinary ones".

A good driver can usually get a car to do anything they want. I remember Tiff drifting a Puma 3 up on Top Gear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9jPs8TqX8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Get yourself on a large roundabout, progressively and steadily increase throttle. See what happens. Obviously this roundabout will be in mondello or similar.

I ususually save those moments of madness for when I am in my Capri (and not on the way to or from work!) :D

Semantics. Your inference that its impossible with a FWD car is clear from your comment.
    What? You're now telling me I said something different, even tho the written record is there?

Tiff can get cars to go on two wheels too.. doesn't mean it's a natural trait or easy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Advertisement