Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 Group Draw

• 02-12-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

live on bbc 2 at the moment

How bloody complicated is that draw??

peter schmeichel looks suspiciously happy to be there..

edit*

france and holland.. wow..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

lol at Germany, Austria and Poland

WWIII anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Austria, Germany and Poland all drawn together. And Holland and France are together too

Weren't Greece, Spain and Russia in the same group in Euro 2004!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Italy, Holland, France and Romania

ouch

Its the Romanians I feel sorry for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Italy in with Holland and France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

abelard wrote: »
    Italy in with Holland and France.

Thats some group that, also germany poland should be a good match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

How the **** did that happen? Did they only have a group of top seeds? Delighted I backed Germany instead of Italy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it possible for every group to be The Group of Death?

Mike.

Another point of note. Group A and B pair together for the quarters as do C and D. So for the knockout stage you've got Holland, Italy, France, Spain on one side of the draw and only Portugal and Germany on the other.

Quarters Finals
    Q1 - A1 (Portugal) vs. B2 (Croatia/Poland)
    Q2 - B1 (Germany) vs. A2 (Czech Rep.?)
    Q3 - C1 (Italy/France/Holland) vs. D2 (Sweden/Greece)
    Q4 - D1 (Spain) vs. D2 (Italy/France/Holland)

Semi Finals
    Q1 vs. Q2
    Q3 vs. Q4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Obviously Group C will be the group of death with Holland, Italy and France in it but Group B is a very difficult group too. I mean Germany, Poland and Croatia is a really difficult group. Obviously Austria is the makeweight much like Romania. But both of those groups may well come down to whichever team drops points against the lesser team.

In fact there are no easy groups. I really have high hopes for this tournament and hopefully it can recover from Euro 2004 and be every bit as brilliant as Euro 2000. One thing is for sure, there will be very few easy qualifying games.

Bring it on!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Hey Guys,

I am from Holland, so I am looking to get tickets for Euro 2008 , what would be the best way to go about this, are there tickets available?

Willem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Some very good group matches to look forward to. Group C looks great for the neutrals :D , Think Spain got the easiest draw , well on paper anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Romania are a lot better than Austria. I would not be suprised to see Italy and Romania go through. Really good draw..if most the teams do their thing then we will have a good line up of quarter finals. I think the Swiss will go through, rather than the Czechs. They are a tough team to beat.

Loving the Austria, Poland and Germany draw......I cannot wait.

Yeah they were in the same group(spain, russia greece) at Euro 2004..class memory Deise 59!!!

I disagree, Spain got a tough group. I expect Greece to finish top of the group, with Spain, Russia and Sweden fighting it out for second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Bit of a Statto rant...
    To get a real idea of how unbalanced the draw is, check out the average ranking for each group. Although if you drop the weakest teams (the hosts) from each group a clearer picture appears. Choose the teams with rankings better than, or close to, the average and the quarter finals pick themselves.
    I knew that spreadsheet training course would come in useful one day.

Group A Top 3: 10 (as good as Croatia)
    Group B Top 3: 9.25 (as good as Holland)
    Group C Top 3: 6.33 (as good as Czech Rep)
    Group D Top 3: 12.66 (as good as Romania)

Group A: AVERAGE RANKING 18.5 (as good as the USA)
    44 Switzerland
    6 Czech Republic*
    8 Portugal*
    16 Turkey
    TOP 3 AVERAGE 10 (as good as Croatia)

Group B: AVERAGE RANKING 32 (as good as NI)
    91 Austria
    10 Croatia*
    4 Germany*
    23 Poland
    TOP 3 AVERAGE 9.25 (as good as Holland)

Group C: AVERAGE RANKING 8 (as good as Portugal)
    9 Holland
    3 Italy*
    13 Romania
    7 France*
    TOP 3 AVERAGE 6.33 (as good as Czech Rep)

Group D: AVERAGE RANKING 15.5 (as good as Turkey)
    11 Greece*
    24 Sweden
    5 Spain*
    22 Russia
    TOP 3 AVERAGE 12.66 (as good as Romania)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

If you picked the 16 best European teams based on FIFA rankings and dropped the host nations, you'd get the other 14 teams that qualified plus England and Scotland. Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jaysis, Group C really is a group of death, whereas Group B is the group of death camps!

Germany are favourite with the bookies already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Poor Romania. Jesus. But maybe, just maybe, Spain can get playing good football for once.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Jaysis, Group C really is a group of death, whereas Group B is the group of death camps!

Germany are favourite with the bookies already.

Hilario......Bravo..Bravo. That made me laugh out loud for real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

gonna go out on a limb and say croatia to win it :O:O

Greece to win again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Willstev wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I am from Holland, so I am looking to get tickets for Euro 2008 , what would be the best way to go about this, are there tickets available?

Willem

You should have (Like I did) applied for tickets about a year ago via the Uefa website
    even though the qualifiers weren't decided you applied for tickets and if your team qualifed you were put in a draw to receive tickets for your contries games.
    At this late stage you will probably have to rely on buying tickets of touts or having some friend of a friend with corporate tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Greece to win again...

Have they changed their style or still go for the defend like mad, then sneak in a goal from a corner routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

You should have (Like I did) applied for tickets about a year ago via the Uefa website
    even though the qualifiers weren't decided you applied for tickets and if your team qualifed you were put in a draw to receive tickets for your contries games.

Tell me you're not Irish...

Either that or you're the most optimistic/deluded (delete as appropriate) Irish fan in the world.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Tell me you're not Irish...

Either that or you're the most optimistic/deluded (delete as appropriate) Irish fan in the world.

;)

I applied pre Cyprus

Advertisement