Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Drama on TV3

• 02-12-2007 1:01pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

TV3 are showing an interesting drama called "The Bad Mother's Handbook" at 9PM on Wednesday. It follows a woman who only recently finds out that she is adopted, tracing her mother, and then finding out that her own daughter is pregnant and her reactions. Its set in Bolton in the UK.

S.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

That sounds interesting.. I must watch to see how they handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tempelton

I just watched this drama. I must admit to not being terribly impressed by the overall story - sentimental, predictable and cliched as hell. The depiction of the adoption end of the story definetly felt incidental and downright sensationalist to me also. Overall, not impressed!

However, what this drama did make me wonder is, what other films and TV-dramas are out there depicting adoption. I love Mike Leigh's Secrets & Lies and I have seen a couple of other worthy efforts (most notably a rather challenging TV drama starring Christopher Ecclestone in which he discovers his birth parents are, in fact, both downs syndrome). But I'm just wondering, does anyone know of any others work seeking out?

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Was that the one with Catherine Tate? I remember something about Catherine Tate involving having a teenaged daughter who was pregnant, I think it was this show, I didn't watch it because I personally cannot stand her acting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

I also saw this and thought it very depressing, sensationalist and far from the norm!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I also saw this and thought it very depressing, sensationalist and far from the norm!

There really isn't a norm though- thats partly why there are so many unhappy people out there. Everyone's experience is unique, both to them, but also to their situations. I've heard so many horror stories at this stage- the happy stories sound like wonderful fairy stories. At the end of the day, as people, we all want to feel wanted and loved- I think thats the core fundamental. From that "norm"- if it is one, some stories are happy, some are very depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

smccarrick wrote: »
    There really isn't a norm though- thats partly why there are so many unhappy people out there. Everyone's experience is unique, both to them, but also to their situations. I've heard so many horror stories at this stage- the happy stories sound like wonderful fairy stories. At the end of the day, as people, we all want to feel wanted and loved- I think thats the core fundamental. From that "norm"- if it is one, some stories are happy, some are very depressing.

Sorry I should have perhaps used a different turn of phrase. You are right there is no “norm”, however I feel a “statistically” more accurate portrayal was possible. One in which the majority could identify in some way or another. I would imagine (hope) that less than 1% of adoptees would ever have to identify with this type of revelation.

As I don’t want to reveal the ending I will await the responses by those who watch this and perhaps you will see where I am coming from.

Advertisement