Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What happens when you ring the guards about dangerous driving?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Had some witch shout at me yesterday cos I wasn't moving through non-moving traffic fast enough and then she tail gated me until she rammed into the back of me (no damage), and then she got out, opened my door and shouted at me. I want to report her.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do - but not for dangerous driving! Thats harassment. A garda has no right (AFAIK) to open your door without a warrant. She certainly doesn't have the right.
    As for ramming your car - if it was intentional then she is dangerous and its your duty to report her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

It wasnt a guard it was an ordinary person, yeah she walked up to my car and opened the door and started shouting at me, and i want to ring the guards about her.

I was wearing my L plates at the time which makes her even more of a witch

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

If you have the reg, report her.

Then ffs please lock your doors, what happened if it was a carjacker, mugger, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Did you get the reg number of the car? You'll need as much "evidence" as possible before the gards can take action. Tough break, pity you didn't slap her!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

Dyflin wrote: »
    pity you didn't slap her!

lmao :p i would have given her just as much abuse back!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LuckyStar wrote: »
    It wasnt a guard it was an ordinary person, yeah she walked up to my car and opened the door and started shouting at me, and i want to ring the guards about her.
    I know - my point was that a garda doesn't have the right. Some jumped up cranky bitch certainly has no right to open your doors.
    LuckyStar wrote: »
    I was wearing my L plates at the time which makes her even more of a witch
    Irrelevant tbh!

I would make a formal complaint of harassment or intimidation to the gardai. I would also contact a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kbannon wrote: »
    Thats harassment. A garda has no right (AFAIK) to open your door without a warrant. She certainly doesn't have the right.

I don't know the legislation so you may be correct.
    But common sense would surely show they have the right. Suppose Anto goes joyriding and smashes into a garda checkpoint. Do you think the gardai would hestiate for a second to drag him out of the car without a warrant?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Of course a Garda can open a car door without a warrant.

There is no warrant a garda can apply for to "open a car door"

Advertisement