Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Friends car hit by Drunk Uninsured Polish Driver.

Options
  • 02-12-2007 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice, last night my friends car was hit by a drunk polish guy driving an uninsured, un taxed and un nct'd 1982 Irish Toyota. He was carted off by the Guards and done, tried to leave the scene, is there anything my friend can do, i know he could sue but the guy will probally just leave the country.. Any advise as what course of action he could take ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The MIBI should be able to sort him out. They cover people hit by uninsured drivers. (www.mibi.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

kdevitt wrote: »
    The MIBI should be able to sort him out. They cover people hit by uninsured drivers. (www.mibi.ie)

Similar thing happened to a firend. She got hit by a drunk driver who was disqualified from driving thus no insurance obviously.

Friend went through MIBI and they sorted it out but will take a bit longer than a normal claim. Will get drawn out a bit before you get the money. As well i think you may have to pay the first €450 of the claim. This may be different for different policies people have so dont take that as fact.

Stupid you may have to pay some of it as it is not your fault but unfortunately it may be the only way. It is also possible to civil prosection against him and get the money that way. If done quickly the court may take his passport away so cant leave the country. Since he has been done the guards will prob lock him up so dont think he will be leaving the country.

If you are fully comp it should be resolved quicker by your insurance company and MIBI will reimburse your insurance company and thus you will not loose your no claims bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I assume you have the whole reg number? You'll need that as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Sorry to hear about this

Chris84 above is correct about comp insurance. If they are comp then the insurance company should pay up quickly and the mibi are not involved. Its only when you are third party that this kicks in.

I had a hit and run with an unreg'd truck and after a bit of hassle when I renewed I was told by the insurer that my claim comes from a special fund they use for such items (i.e. you contribute to this when you pay to comp premium)

Advertisement