Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Location for Leaving Cert holiday???

• 02-12-2007 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey
    I'm trying to decide on a location for a leaving cert holiday for me and a few friends...

We want to go for a week and we're looking for the usual stuff all 18yr olds want....clubs, pubs, beaches, good weather etc....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Lahinch....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

i'll consider Lahinch :P

anyone have other more exotic suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Canaries/Egypt if the budget can stretch, if not, Salou/Malaga/Algarve etc Usual suspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

I would have to say AVOID Crete. Went there about four years ago when I was your age and it was a big disappointment. Maybe try another island in Greece?Ios?

TheNibbler wrote: »
    I would have to say AVOID Crete. Went there about four years ago when I was your age and it was a big disappointment. Maybe try another island in Greece?Ios?

We were planning on booking a trip to crete after christmas:eek:

Why didn't you like crete???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

The atmosphere just wasn't good. It was dangerous (heard reports throughout the whole holiday of people being attacked-girls and boys). The locals were unfriendly (which was somewhat understandable as most of the tourists were drunk all of the time!). My friends and I were completely ripped off by a company that we rented quad bikes off, a situation that seemed pretty common.

Should say though that all of the above happened in Hersonisos. Was on a family holiday a few years before that in Sitia on the other side of the island and that was brilliant.

It was Hersonisis we were going to book:(

You think its still that bad??

anyone been to santa Ponsa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

go further afield to thailand or something. everyone always does the crappy resort thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

go further afield to thailand or something. everyone always does the crappy resort thing.
    Yes, totally agree!

I went with my 2best friends on a girly holiday to Gran Canaria. We didn't go to Playa del Inges or anything, it not our scene. Sure we love going out, drinking and what not, but it's just so tacky and knackery there(along with other resorts)!!Ughhh..not our cup of tea in the slightest.
    We went to Puerto Rico. Quiet, not much of a night life but we just wanted sun, sea, sand. Somewhere to relax and unwind and spend some time together as we were all heading to different colleges around Ireland and abroad.

I would suggest if there's a group of ye going..go interrailing, thialand..do something different!!! Much more of an experience and something ye'll all remember before ye all make yer own paths in lives.

G'Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Oh dear god, go to crete!! It was absolutley amazing!We had our 6th year holiday there and it was the best holiday ive ever had!! Dirt cheap, great night life, loads of clubs!!
    We stayed in Piskapiano, outside hersonnaisas and I defo recommend it...we went into hersonassisas at night but piskipiano is away from all the crowds during the day so we cud just chill...loads of restaurants and pubs too!!

We're going back in June, hopefully. It was incredible!! Come on the MIKAS!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 alex07

Go interrailing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Hey Eoghan,

Go to Crete its a top class place, MTV sponsored clubs etc.

Alot different to what it was 4 years ago. I've been there since 2003 and have a great time every year.

Check out the thread link below for more info on Crete.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065158

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

eoghan h wrote: »
    It was Hersonisis we were going to book:(

You think its still that bad??

anyone been to santa Ponsa?

As neamhshuntasach said go further afield.. but i gather you just want to go on a week long piss up in the sun... If so i don't think the destination is important.. as long as drink is served 24/7.. you could just search for cheap flights and see what comes up.. all resorts are the same..

Yes i went to Santa Ponsa with a group of 10 after my LC for 2 weeks.. started drinking on day one and didnt stop till we got home.. It was crazy.. brought home many memories.. limbs were broken, people shat in drawers etc. etc.. no rules..

I think those holidays come about when a load of 18 yr old lads head off for the first time.. unbelievable craic. but you won't experience anything you couldn;t get in Ireland. ( a resort holiday is like a freshers week in the sun) I wouldn't go on a holiday like that again... (it just wouldnt be the same) but i don't regret it one bit..

Some of the people you go with won't be as close to you this time next year after everyone splits for college so make the most of it.. I'm still friends with all the gang i went with, but some more than others ya know?

I've been to the algarve too, i just went for a week to chill (very cheap) i didnt go there to party but it was nowhere near the same as santa ponsa for gettig boozed up.. but the beach is WAY nicer.. fantastic beach actually..

As for crete havn't been myself but my ex and her friends went for a month last year and had a crazy time.. but as i said it's not the destination.. you make your own fun..

anyway goodluck with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 edwardh55

alex07 wrote: »
    Go interrailing!

Have to agree being stuck in some resort is definitly not my sort of thing!
    Think of it, if you go to the usuals you will just see people that you can see in Ireland or the UK, just red versions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BricanaBarbie

what about Ibiza?? never been but it has a reputation for havin a gd nightlife!! o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ilovefrankee@ho

Four friends and I went to Crete last August (the day after results) and stayed in a resort called Hersonnissos. It's an amazing place for 5 lads on their first holiday alone- really hot, bars open 'til 5am and cheap booze. The food was **** but everything else was class. http://www.foxpubcrete.com/hotel.html is the website of the apartments we stayed in- basic but cheap enough. Worked out around 600 each which is decent 'cos it's peak season.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

ya im deciding on going to greece or santa ponsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

55 of us went to Ayia Napa for ours. It was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

tenerife is CLASS!!!! not as much irish as say gran canaria but there still is plenty.clubs are savage-open til 6am and the best irish bar ive ever been in(and ive been in tonnes) is there-the dubliner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dave 2008

Hersonissos (Crete) has no beach and the strip is pretty small....on the other hand Ayia Napa (Cyprus) has several fantastic beaches, there are loads more pubs/clubs/bars, the weather IMHO is much better with clear blue skies pretty much guaranteed (although August is a scorcher) right into October.

Ive been to Crete twice and Ayia Napa three times and will be back in Napa again soon whereas Crete is now on the black list.

You might like Hersonissos, but Ayia Napa beats it hands down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement