Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

(Attached); Stigma

Options
  • 02-12-2007 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Can some one please tell me what is the stigma attached to BMW drivers because allot of people seem to have a problem with us, i noticed this especially in big German cars. Can some one tell me i baffled are you jealous?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It sure isn't jealously!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

3 Series is the sales rep mobile of choice, other than that Im not aware of a stigma. X5 is a bit of a Surrey school Mum car I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Matt Simis wrote: »
    3 Series is the sales rep mobile of choice, other than that Im not aware of a stigma. X5 is a bit of a Surrey school Mum car I guess.

Is Surrey in Ireland now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I've worked for a lot of companies who had fleet cars I've never once seen a BMW unless it was a director - certainly never seen a rep with one! This is probably the case in the UK all right but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I think a lot of it stems from out-dated caricatures from Thatcher's Britain where Beemers were the default marques of choice for the young, brash, obnoxious, upwardly-mobile set.

Audi's '90s ad for the A4 MkI (at the time Audi was very much a poor relation in the prestige sector) brilliantly lampooned this image. A brash, chavtastic bloke takes an A4 for a test drive, declaring at the end 'Nah, not really my style mate, know what I mean?'. The immaculately groomed, debonair salesman gives a knowing smile to camera.

I don't think it really rings through in Ireland. While I find the X5, X3 and the like a bit loathsome, the so called 'obnoxious' buy just as many Mercs, Audis etc. At least the Beemers can lay some claim to being drivers cars with brilliant engineering. I had to laugh yesterday when I heard Louis Walsh (who has just bought a Quattroporte) on the radio castigating Mercs as 'Irish builders cars':D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

The Quattroporte is a cool car......sorry was a cool car....Louis Walsh just bought one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

When I worked in a supermarket during college, the non-disabled people that would take the disabled spaces (even though there were normal spaces about 8 feet behind them) would always be BMW, Mercedes or Range Rover drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think it's more to do with the automatic indicator presumption that most BMW drivers have. or the fact they rarely use mirrors in most people's experience.

Now I have in rare cases some across the odd BMW driver who is courteous, the one in particular I remember was on an awful day coming to the end of the M7 near Roscrea (??), but the fact that I remembered it just goes to prove the point that most BMW drivers think they own the road

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

qballirl wrote: »
    Can some one please tell me what is the stigma attached to BMW drivers because allot of people seem to have a problem with us, i noticed this especially in big German cars. Can some one tell me i baffled are you jealous?
    I think you've answered your own question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

qballirl wrote: »

Certainly not jealousy (pity and amusement maybe;)).

BMWs are in the main very fine cars, and in some cases, even the best in their classes (as machines - not as value for money). More of us would probably buy one were it not for the stigma that you mention, that now comes with owning one. Which is unfortunate for us, but we wouldnt like to mistaken for the type of person who drives a BM these days, who :

- in general has no idea what makes the BMW the good car it is
    - notices the number plate year before the type of car
    - is superficial and uncultured
    - is concerned with projecting an image of affluence
    - is a 'brand follower' to make up for being unable to judge the merits of a consumer good themselves
    - is competitive and wishes to feel superior towards others
    - is financially ambitious and uses their car to display their current 'score'
    - some (not all!) are pushy and aggressive and have a lower tolerance for respect of social and legal rules.

I am not sure if this is a phenomenon that is exclusive to Britain and Ireland. It seems to have risen to prominence during the Lawson boom in the UK, and during the Celtic Tiger years in Ireland. It may have existed prior to that but lack of funds prevented many from achieving their desires and so it was less evident. Rapid growth and rising affluence has allowed more people to show their colours in this respect.

The above is not meant to provoke, but to help you understand how other see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Nay, I was talking to an Aston driver once who dismissed BMWs as 'lacking cachet'. Now that's someone who:
    Sandwich wrote: »
    - is concerned with projecting an image of affluence
    - is a 'brand follower' to make up for being unable to judge the merits of a consumer good themselves
    - is competitive and wishes to feel superior towards others
    - is financially ambitious and uses their car to display their current 'score'

You're probably have a point though. Although it depends on the model in question. I'd consider a 320d as a very discerning choice while a 316 is just SAD...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

NBar wrote: »

Yes - judging by the way a lot of people in Dublin act.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

What Stigma?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

take that back, im offended LOL :D

We have the Sandymount, Rathgar, Dalkey triangle instead. The best roads have lots of nasty speed bumps making it, like, sooo necessary to have a car thats suited to them.........

Fundamentally its just about wealth display. Once you have he right badge on the front, the next step is to have a BIGGER car than the rest, even if they have the right brand too.

Display escalation follows the following general trend:

1. VW Polo - cant afford the BM yet, but at least its German.
    2. VW Golf or Audi A3 - bit more size, bit more power. BMW next time!!!
    3. 3Series compact for girls or last model 3 Series coupe for the guys. Yes, Ive made it!
    4. 3 Series. New car for the first time, and bigger and better.
    5a. 5 Series for the guys - Power! Toys!
    5b. X3 for the girls - Dont understand power or toys. But its big!
    6b. 7 Series for the guys. Nirvana has been reached and we can look down on the rest of the world.
    6b. X5 for the girls. Still dont understand the guys. X5 is Even Bigger!!!! And we can really look down on the rest of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Yes - judging by the way a lot of people in Dublin act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Younger people in this country who are obsessed with the trappings of wealth buy BMWs. To them it's an "I've made it" statement; a status symbol. Then they talk endlessly about their B-M, even if it is a P.O.S. compact or 316 or Z3 (which state "I'm a fool and easily parted with my money"), or a 325, 520 or whatever.

Of course then there are people who have genuinely made it and drive BMWs.

And last but not least, the reason why the rest of us feel we are different from BMW drivers: we drive what we do because we like the actual car. Of course all BMW owners will say this is the reason, and the badge/status stuff has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

kceire wrote: »
    take that back, im offended LOL :D

RE: X5s ust dont buy a silver one and youll be grand. :p
    For that matter, dont buy a silver BM of any ttpe.

Ive a flashy and big German car(s) too mind you, so regarding stigmas no doubt Im in a similar boat.
    The big issue in Ireland of course is that people dont want to see others success and BMW have that illogical reputation as a "the successful" persons car.

Sandwich wrote: »
    6b. 7 Series for the guys. Nirvana has been reached and we can look down on the rest of the world.
    I would agree with the rest, but not this. The 7-series is unique in that it's bought new by those who truly have made it (and can look down if they want.. they've earned it), or 2nd hand by those who spot the amount of car that can be had for little money due to record depreciation. Neither of the above type people feel the need to make public statements.

Ive a flashy and big German car(s) too mind you, so regarding stigmas no doubt Im in a similar boat.
    The big issue in Ireland of course is that people dont want to see others success and BMW have that illogical reputation as a "the successful" persons car.

Dont think you are in the same boat. I think the stigma applies only to BMWs.
    Mercs are the nearest cost, quality and prestige wise but I dont think the same attitude to their drivers exist. None at all would apply to Audi, Volvo, Saab or Lexus drivers (except by the BMW drivers who would be wondering what idiot would buy one of those when they could afford The Real Thing - a BMW).
    Nor do I think its about not wanting to see others success. The driver of an E80000 S80 or A6 would not be regarded as the same character as a 5 Series person.
    I think its more about the common traits of BMW drivers that a particular type of person seems to gravitate towards BMWs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

ignore the riff-raff, qball - they are just jealous:D

doesn't matter what car you drive, doesn't stop you or make you a d!ck-head

JHMEG wrote: »
    I would agree with the rest, but not this. The 7-series is unique in that it's bought new by those who truly have made it (and can look down if they want.. they've earned it), or 2nd hand by those who spot the amount of car that can be had for little money due to record depreciation. Neither of the above type people feel the need to make public statements.

Some (if just a little) truth here.

I remember struggling to stiffle my mirth when it was put to a man due to change his 3 year old 530 or 535 for the umteenth time - was it not time to move to a 7 series? The reply : "A car that size and expensive is just vulgar".

land9 wrote: »
    ignore the riff-raff, qball - they are just jealous:D

doesn't matter what car you drive, doesn't stop you or make you a d!ck-head

Concluding it must be jealousy must make you one of them land9 - an "already has one" or a "wanna get one". ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RE: X5s ust dont buy a silver one and youll be grand. :p
    For that matter, dont buy a silver BM of any ttpe.

LOL
    as you can probably guess from my signiture, i have a blue one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anybody who says in this day and age that there is some sort of "stigma" or whatever attached to owning/driving a BMW displays a severe case of wishful thinking (or BMW marketing brainwash :D)

FFS ...everybody and their grandmother has one these days ...the sheen has loooong gone :D

EDIT:
    Coming to think of it ...this is probably the reason why some BMW drivers behave as they do (according to cliche) ...they're just fed up that nobody recognises their "achievement" of owning a BMW and feel the need to get some attention forcefully.

It probably a manifestation of that wonderful Irish trait; begrudgery!

ronoc wrote: »
    It probably a manifestation of that wonderful Irish trait; begrudgery!
    In this case I actually don't think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

generalisations about how people perceive you driving a particular car are a bit pathetic, especially when they're uphelp by the people who drive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Really doubt its jealousy unless its a high end model. I offloaded my 320D as it just wasnt what i thought it would be. I guess i really wanted the badge but what i really wanted was the badge and big power and that means serious cash bmw wise. However, i did notice more hand signals coming my way when i had the bmw but there is a fair share of ignorant toss pots driving bmw's too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

BMW: "Not Quite Able to Afford a Mercedes".

Seriously, there are more BMWs sold than Ford Mondeos in the UK. I expect similar here. Why pay a premium for a badge that no longer has exclusivity?

Advertisement