Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

english poetry- ado. rich

Options
  • 02-12-2007 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

hi,
    just started rich, repeatin l.c, flyin thru her poetry and finding it quiet diffiiult any body got notes or sites that wud help,cant find any!
    suggestions of what 6 poems to do an essay on?
    maybe- storm warning,living in sin & aunt jens. tigers

valid replies appreciated!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Diving into the Wreck is considered to be one of her more important poems, I think.
    Personally I'm doing Aunt Jennifer's Tigers, Living in Sin, Storm Warnings, Diving into the Wreck and Trying to Talk with a Man. From a Survivor is pretty good too, and it has the autobiographical angle you can talk about.

Most important things to consider with her, I think, are:
    She's a big feminist, and (with the poems I've picked anyway) she deals a lot with relationships between the genders.
    Her style underwent a decent bit of change - contrast Aunt Jennifer's tigers, very formal, with something much freer like Our Whole Life or Power.
    She saw poetry as very important in bringing about social change. This would be in the case of Storm Warnings, Diving into the Wreck, The Roofwalker, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Haven’t done her yet, but I think she may be next, after we finish Boland, can send you notes then. I have a wonderful teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

I liked her poetry when I did it in 5th year. I am going to study her poems inside and out.

You could try skoool.ie. I find the notes good enough. [All the poetry questions are done by my English teacher. :p ]

Or, if you google Adrienne Rich, and see what comes up.

Good Luck

Advertisement