Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Found cheap enough E5

Options
  • 02-12-2007 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just discovered that the Maxol on Mespil Road is charging an excessive €1.26.9 per litre for E5 and Maxol on Beach Road, Sandymount is charging €1.20.9 much cheaper and more reasonable (quite close to texaco on ringsend road, which is one of the cheapest around).

I find my car (which likes 98 RON) runs a lot smoother with this petrol and is a tad more fuel efficient, and seems to have more power, now I could be imagining this but have just emptied a tank of standard Texaco (car ran like a dog) and refilled with E5 and she's running a lot smoother again.

So give it a go if your car likes 98 RON.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Maxol on Constitution Hill was selling it at 116.9 last week.

My car (v6 alfa) is optimised for 98 octane and definitely performs better with it. It's markedly smoother when the engine is cold.
    Economy is hard to judge (after ~5 weeks of use) as mpg usually drops a little in wintertime.
    The computer is currently, however, showing the same average figure it did during the summer (24.3), suggesting it's at least as fuel efficient. If I put the foot down, though, it seems to disappear at an alarming rate.

At 116.9 it's a no-brainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I filled today in Sallynoggin, 118.9c. I'm getting more power, but poorer economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

whats the diff between 98 and 95? Dont say 3:D

I've an audi 2.4 v6 pet. How do i know whats the best for moi?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

yayamark wrote: »
    whats the diff between 98 and 95? Dont say 3:D

I've an audi 2.4 v6 pet. How do i know whats the best for moi?

Testing it mainly. Typically VAG user guides will quote figures with an asterix which usually states "When running on 98 Octane, 95 Octane causes slight performance reduction" or something similar.

E5 is 99.2 Octane btw. You will likely see/feel its a bit smoother but get worse MPG. If you had a turbo you may find it smoother, faster and same or better MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Maxol up past Harolds Cross on the way to Terenure was selling it before the weekend at 115.9p a litre. It's always been a cheap place for go-go juice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement