Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo engine to Focus?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

i have a 1.8 TD 02 Focus. but the engine has given out and i have it with a mechanic whos telling me that he has to get an exact model engine for the car?

but i've been told by another mechanic that a mondeo engine can be put in with some ease?

is this true?

this is a hackney and has been off the road for 2 weeks now and nothing been done with it? i can't afford to have it off the road at this time of the year!! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Depends what engine ur puting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Plug wrote: »
    Depends what engine ur puting in.

well i would hope to put in the same strength engine?

i was told that you can match up the engine code numbers from both and they should swap??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

with a lot of car manufacturers they actually use the exact same engines in different models of their cars, im not sure if this is the case with the mondeo and the focus but you could ring a ford dealer and see what they say on it, they should be able to help you, the engine would have to be the same capacity as the old engine otherwise theres a lot of switching around to do and it can get really complicated, for instance if your putting a 2l engine into a car that was originally a 1.6 or 1.8 the ECU will be different and the imobiliser is part or that, which then is paired to the keys you have, then the chance that the mondeo locks might be different to yours., end of the day, make sure you stick to the same engine size and compair the engines by eye if you can.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

both the mondeo and focus have a 1.8 TD endura engine, they should be interchangable.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I am not a Ford man but I have access to engine codes. There are 5 possible codes for your engine and depending on the year of the Mondeo engine there are a few for that too. None match.

My advice, find the right engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Mondeo 1.8 TD is an older design of engine, it didn't have direct injection for instance, it mightn't even be based on the Focus's engine, unless you're talking about putting in a TDCi 1.8 into it, which also was found in the Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Both the Mk1/2/4 Mondeo and Mk1/2/3 focus have a 1753cc 1.8 diesel block. However they are all different engines.

The engine in say a 1.8TD mondeo is an Endura-DE, while the 1.8 in the Mk1 focus it will either be an Endura-DI or a Duratorq TDCI. There are pretty big differences between all of these, and as E92 points out the Mondeo engine will be indirect injection, and also will have a completely mechanical pump.

Personally i'd fit exactly what came from the car... this will not be an engine from a mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

cheers for all the replies folks ;)

Advertisement