Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this tropical fish tank any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

yeah, just under a euro per litre. the aquatic village sell Rekord 70s for €135 - almost two euro per litre (for a similar sized tank) and their tanks are pretty good value. obviously, the fancier the tank, the more per litre you'll pay

so yes, it is good value, plus, you get all those nik-naks too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Great tank if you only wanna keep small fish, and very few of them. You should consider the fish you want to keep before you buy a tank, as different species have different space requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Jimkel wrote: »
    Great tank if you only wanna keep small fish, and very few of them. You should consider the fish you want to keep before you buy a tank, as different species have different space requirements.

Im only startin out so it should be good for me

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heirenach

Perfect tank for beginner .I started with one,got hooked,now i have five.Its an addictive hobby.Good luck.

I couldnt get it they were all sold:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Most aquarium shops should stock a "starter" tank and all the fittings quite reasonably but small isn't always better. Steer clear of fancy expensive ornaments, the fish don't appreciate them. Natural rocks/bogwood will provide caves for them to hide in.

I've had a 3ft Jewel 180L for 3 years, my first aquarium and its quite easy to maintain, about 1hrs work every 2 weeks or so to clean and change filter media.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ3uXJTaED0

You might be better to get a decent sized aquarium if you can afford it and, because not everyone has the space and time to accommodate more than one tank, if you're only going to have one, make it a good one :) Build up your fish gradually over a period of weeks. Live plants are great but I gave up after they started to look tatty. Now I have realistic looking plastic ones and the fish don't seem to mind.

Rasbora scissortails are an easy fish to keep, along with marbled hatchet fish and any tetras, particulary head and tail lights and neons. A plec or a couple of corydoras will help keep the bottom of the tank clean. Guppies can be short lived but I have babies in a "net trap" right now and its fun to watch them grow. I've just bought some more apple snails off Ebay, they help keep the tank clean and will often lay eggs out of the water so you can keep "stocked".

Best of luck

Where should i go now? Id need a place where the staff know what theyre talking about and where ill get a good deal

where are you based?

Dublin 5

You could try the Aquarium Centre in Ballybough. I don't know first hand what Joe's tank prices are like but I believe they're quite good. Apart from that, he's a very straight talking guy who knows his stuff and won't push anything on you that doesn't suit you or that you're capable of handling (something that the vast majority of pet shops lack). Sometimes one of his sons minds the shop but while I'm sure they are also very knowledgeable, Joe's the man you want to talk to.

Failing that, the Aquatic Village in Brittas will be you're best bet. They only have the Juwel aquariums that they sell listed on their site, not sure what other tanks they sell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I got that tank, am delighted with it, my goldfish is 8 and has barely grown since I got him so I'm hoping he'll shoot up in this tank!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rudi33

You should try Seahorse Aquariums who are based in Ballymount. They have tanks from €139 that can be used for tropical or marine. I think they do mainly marine fish. Had a look last week was very impressed. Their phone number is 4595650.

Welcome to boards.ie Rudi :)

How big was that tank for €139?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rudi33

It was a 78 litre one. The one I was looking at was a 97 Litre and it was €159.

Hmm, not bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heirenach

The bigger the tank ,the easier the cleaning.

And the less susceptible your water will be to changes in its chemistry.

Advertisement