Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draught under internal doors!

Options
  • 02-12-2007 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Previous owners got laminated wooden floors in, problem I have is with draughts under the internal doors. I think when the carpet was down the saddle would have met the doors so as to block the draughts.

Is there anything I can put under the doors so as to help block out the draughts, bring the level of the door down to the wooden floor?

Is there a good online website which sells insulation items, as I also want to pick up one of the chimney balloons.

Thanks,

Branners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I would think about trying to find the source of the draughts first....

I spoke to a mate of mine last week who is in the business of sourcing and eliminating draughts in houses and he mentioned one of the biggest draughts is through an open fireplace.

On a windy day, the wind passing over the chimney top causes a vacum up the fire and hence causes draughts in teh house as the air in the living room is being replaced due to the vacum up the chimney.

Blocking up an un-used fire can stop a lot of draughts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

branners69 wrote: »
    ...as I also want to pick up one of the chimney balloons.

I have heard about the open fireplace before so wanted to eleminate it by buying the above.

I will also be looking at other problems, such as the letter box and insulating the attic door! I would just be happier to extend the doors so as they meet the floor to increase the heat in each room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I would think about trying to find the source of the draughts first....

I spoke to a mate of mine last week who is in the business of sourcing and eliminating draughts in houses and he mentioned one of the biggest draughts is through an open fireplace.

On a windy day, the wind passing over the chimney top causes a vacum up the fire and hence causes draughts in teh house as the air in the living room is being replaced due to the vacum up the chimney.

Blocking up an un-used fire can stop a lot of draughts

Hi Lex, Could you PM me the name of your friend's company. I'm at my wit's end trying to source draughts in my house.

Advertisement