Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

inconsistency between rules of the road and 2nd ed of DTT

Options
  • 02-12-2007 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

In the drivers' theory test book 2nd edition there is a question where there is a picture of a traffic light with th eamber light illuminated and the question "what should you do when you see the following?" The answer marked is "Proceed with caution". I thought that was incorrect and I checked with the rules of the road and it says there, as I thought, "Stop unless it is unsafe to do so."

So now I'm wondering two things: Is this how the answer is marked on the test itself, and are there any other incorrect answers in the question book that I wouldn't recognise?

Does anyone know about this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well it depends on whether it's flashing or not, correct me if i'm wrong but, a constant amber light means that you must stop unless it is unsafe to do so, and a flashing amber light means proceed with caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Think you're right yeah
    there's nothing idicating it's flashing in the picture .. possibly it said it flashed in the text and I didn't read it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

pwd wrote: »
    Think you're right yeah
    there's nothing idicating it's flashing in the picture .. possibly it said it flashed in the text and I didn't read it properly.

Come test day the questions will be very clear, and very easy, i had my test there two weeks ago and there was nothing to worry about. If you dont understand the question you can ask him to repeat it. There'll be no poorly phrased questions to worry about. Well, Good luck anyway.

Alan,

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

:confused: In my 2nd edition (page 47) the correct answer marked (b) is

"stop unless it is dangerous to do so".

• Advertisement

Strange. It didn;t say flashing and the incorrect answer was marked. There was at least one other place where the incorrect answer was marked too: It saud you only need to display your insurance disc on your windscreen, rather than your insurance and your tax disc like it says in the rules of the road.

Anyway I did the test yesterday and none of the questions came up. Got 40/40 which made me wish i hadn't spent my entire weekend studying for it. Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pwd wrote: »
    There was at least one other place where the incorrect answer was marked too: It saud you only need to display your insurance disc on your windscreen, rather than your insurance and your tax disc like it says in the rules of the road
    You are not reading the questions correctly. The first one you highlighted was perfectly correct as is this one .

Read it again! (b) is obviously the correct answer.

Q. What must be displayed on a vehicle's windscreen at all times?

(a) Insurance cover note.

(b) Insurance Disc.*

(c) Insurance Certificate.

(d) Insurance Certificate and Motor Tax Disc.

The first one was incorrect in my copy of the book - it gives a different answer than in your copy. I triple checked that.

The one you quote is a case of me assuming where there is one mistake there will be more, and so jumping to that conclusion a little early instead of rereading the question.

Advertisement