Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL2 Availability In Malahide Area?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Does anyone happen to know when Eircom will get around to upgrading the Malahide exchange to make it ADSL2 capable?

I've browsed over to their website but it's about as useful as you would expect :rolleyes: so I'm still none the wiser.

Any info? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd say your best bet is to see if smart or bt have upgraded the exchange. You'll be waiting a while for eircom to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I thought Eircom still retained the rights to the exchanges; I wasn't aware that other suppliers could upgrade any equipment in the exchange itself.

I currently get my internet via Magnet (originally Netsource) and they tell me they can't give me an ADSL2 service until Eircom upgrades the exchange.

?:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eircom still own the exchanges but other operators are allowed to put their own equipment in the exchange. In smart exchanges you'll broadband speeds of upto 7Mbps, in BT exchanges you'll get 8Mbps. You will have to switch to smart or BT to get these though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

I've heard that eircom is plannning to start rolling out a 12Mbps product based on ADSL2+ in the next few weeks (currently being held up by Comreg to iron out some t's and c's).

This new service will be launched in selected Dublin exchanges - including Malahide !!

It should be available after that time as a Wholesale offering to all operators including Magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

12m/b eh and me still here waiting for DSL :) thats nice of them

• Advertisement

Grommet wrote: »
    I've heard that eircom is plannning to start rolling out a 12Mbps product based on ADSL2+ in the next few weeks (currently being held up by Comreg to iron out some t's and c's).

This new service will be launched in selected Dublin exchanges - including Malahide !!

It should be available after that time as a Wholesale offering to all operators including Magnet.

I think they are only running trials. If that's the case the amount of people able to get it could be very limited and god only knows how long the trial will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Anyone got a list of planned exchanges for the initial Dublin rollout of adsl2+?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Praetorian wrote: »
    Anyone got a list of planned exchanges for the initial Dublin rollout of adsl2+?

It's not official yet - but I have got hold of a list of 40 sites (see below) where I believe that they will be rolling out their 12Mbps product. They are focussing on large Dublin exchanges first. And by the way - they have already trialled it - they want to start selling it now....

Beggars Bush
    Blanchardstown
    Ballyboden
    Belcamp
    Ballycoolin
    Bray
    Cabra
    Celbridge
    NANGOR ROAD
    Coolock
    Clontarf
    Crown Alley
    Crumlin
    CUSTOMS HS DOCKS
    DOLPHINS BARN
    Dundrum
    DUNLAOGHAIRE
    EASTPOINT
    Finglas
    Foxrock
    Lucan Ballydowd
    Leixlip
    Merrion
    Malahide
    Maynooth
    North Main
    Nutley
    Newlands Cross
    Portmarnock
    Priory Park
    Rathcoole
    Rathmines
    Rochestown
    Shankill
    Sandyford
    Sandyford AEH
    Swords
    Summerhill
    Sutton
    Terenure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Grommet wrote: »
    It's not official yet - but I have got hold of a list of 40 sites (see below) where I believe that they will be rolling out their 12Mbps product. They are focussing on large Dublin exchanges first. And by the way - they have already trialled it - they want to start selling it now....

Beggars Bush
    Blanchardstown
    Ballyboden
    Belcamp
    Ballycoolin
    Bray
    Cabra
    Celbridge
    NANGOR ROAD
    Coolock
    Clontarf
    Crown Alley
    Crumlin
    CUSTOMS HS DOCKS
    DOLPHINS BARN
    Dundrum
    DUNLAOGHAIRE
    EASTPOINT
    Finglas
    Foxrock
    Lucan Ballydowd
    Leixlip
    Merrion
    Malahide
    Maynooth
    North Main
    Nutley
    Newlands Cross
    Portmarnock
    Priory Park
    Rathcoole
    Rathmines
    Rochestown
    Shankill
    Sandyford
    Sandyford AEH
    Swords
    Summerhill
    Sutton
    Terenure

Why are they limiting the speed to 12 Mbits/sec? ADSL2+ works in the 20 Mbits/sec range depending on distance and the loop quality.

ADSL2+ works at full line speed in markets where competition works. Speed caps imply deficient regulation. You are paying a high monthly fee for the copper running into your house - why should these basta*** get away with crippling it?

If you buy The Irish Times tomorrow morning, you will get the full Irish Times - not a 5 page edition, or a 10 page edition or a 15 page edition - depending on how much you are prepared to pay.

And why is it only available in Dublin? Like DTT and DAB. Perhaps eircom should re-brand themselves dubcom and comreg should be dubcomreg!

And perhaps gov.ie should be re-titled dubgov.ie? Or at least the Dept of Posts & Telegraphs should be honest and re-brand themselves the Dept of Dublin Posts & Telegraphs!

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bray

/me

<o/
    \o>
    <o>
    \o/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I guess the rest of us outside Dublin will just have to happily continue using our 2 and 3meg lines for the forseeable future with no vision of any upgrades in sight:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

How is Balbriggan not on that list :(

Advertisement