Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco Petrol

Options
  • 02-12-2007 6:22pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Quick question. What advantage is there when shopping in Tesco and getting petrol in their filling stations?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the price?

Dont they give a per litre discount?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

And you get Clubcard points too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Stekelly wrote: »
    the price?

I thought you got it somewat cheaper, but I cant seem to find anything about it. I asked them, but she wasn't sure. Iv started to use Clubcards now..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Stekelly wrote: »
    the price?

Plus it's cheaper to begin with...I got 106.9 in Clonmel about a month ago when the cheapest along the way from Wexford to Limerick was 111.9 at the railway gates outside Waterford City and around 113.9 everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Sully wrote: »
    Hey,
    Quick question. What advantage is there when shopping in Tesco and getting petrol in their filling stations?

Cheers

the petrol in tesco is crap, think it mat be a lower grade.

used to buy it and the car was not as fuel efficient at all. quickly stopped using it and much better now without it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well Tesco in Waterford were never considerably cheaper in general. Iv noticed they usualy are the same price as Statoil, who I spotted filling their tanks.

Its 113.9 now I believe, while Statoi il 114.9. A local Esso station up at the top of Tramore is 127.9!!

chris85 wrote: »
    the petrol in tesco is crap, think it mat be a lower grade.

used to buy it and the car was not as fuel efficient at all. quickly stopped using it and much better now without it

Iv put in a small amount, and its been working fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have seen statoil filling up the tanks in tesco so i presume it is just like going to statoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Teso is crap argument is itself less than well formulated. As said they use Statoil unless Statoil is also rubbish. Anyway I've never spotted any difference. Except in the wallet.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    The Teso is crap argument is itself less than well formulated. As said they use Statoil unless Statoil is also rubbish. Anyway I've never spotted any difference. Except in the wallet.

Mike.

I assume your a regular customer. Do you get more of a discount by shopping in Tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

I use tesco never had a problem with the diesel they supply. Sometimes they will offer 5c off per litre if you spend over €50 in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is Tesco's petrol not E5? It is in the UK at least, and E5 *does* give less fuel efficiency.

As it stands my local Esso and Maxol are the same price as the local Tesco, so I'm currently using the Esso - as Maxol is E5 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sully I don't shop in Tesco, you get a 5% off voucher for every 50 euro spent as far as I recall.

Mike.

Sully I don't shop in Tesco, you get a 5% off voucher for every 50 euro spent as far I a recall.

Mike.

Its not a permanent offer and can vary by store. When Dunnes in Maynooth opened I believe it was 10c per litre off if you spent more than 40, with two diesels in the house here we were making sure to break the shop in to roughly 40 euro sized bundles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

MYOB wrote: »
    Is Tesco's petrol not E5? It is in the UK at least, and E5 *does* give less fuel efficiency.

As it stands my local Esso and Maxol are the same price as the local Tesco, so I'm currently using the Esso - as Maxol is E5 also.

I assume your talking about Maynooth? I usually use the Tesco for Diesel and have used the other two every now and then when they have lower/same price to see if i could notice a difference. - i couldn't.

Maybe Diesel is a different, but my dad drives a petrol, and also notices no difference.

Diesel is diesel is diesel, its the same everywhere.

E5 is proven to give lower fuel efficiency in RON95 mapped cars than RON95 does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Diesel is diesel is diesel, its the same everywhere.

My car runs better on Esso and to a slightly lesser extent Maxol diesel. It runs slightly worse on Statoil and TOP. On the lesser brands, the engine smokes more, rattles more, seems to produce less power and is definitely less economical.

I don't think that they're all the same.

All road disel sold is this country is regulated to the same european standards, any other variations are within range. "Maxol diesel" for one can be absolutely any other firms as its not like they actually have any refineries of their own! Its bought on the open market.

E5 and RON95 are quite different fuels although compatible with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I always use Tesco in Dundrum.I have also seen statoil and Green trucks unloading at Tesco Dundrum.I dont see how Tesco petrol can be cheapy grade.I havn't had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Filling up in Urlingford mostly lately, 1.11 when you buy a €5 car wash.

• Advertisement

Mike.

I know well that they are using Statoil but I noticed a significant difference in the fuel efficiencies when i was using it and when i wasnt using it. Considering I was pretty much doing the same route and distance every week and the tesco petrol was not lasting.

I looked at it closely and was looking at about 10-15% less efficient. But everyone here likes proper statisitcs so dont matter.

I know a few others that have said this as well and will not get there petrol at tesco anymore.

I have used other stations for petrol and never had any reduction in economy. I will pretty much go to any other station and will only go to tesco as a last resort.

Just my experience with it, everyone has their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Reasons for using Tesco:

1. It's cheaper (by a fair margin)

2. You get clubcard points = money off vouchers in the next statement.

3. They occasionally do offers whereby you get a discount on your fuel if you spend over €50 in store.

Never noticed any problems with "quality" either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

chris85 wrote: »

I have used other stations for petrol and never had any reduction in economy. I will pretty much go to any other station and will only go to tesco as a last resort.

Just my experience with it, everyone has their own!

This is true in my experience. I would imagine that if you have a small engined car, not performance orientated, than it makes little difference. However, my car knocked with Tesco petrol. It's cheap for a reason. The fuel might all come from Statoil, but the different resellers add their own additives and cleaners/detergents. I will not buy from Tesco anymore - economy and performance were definitely worse with it.

Pete4779 wrote: »
    This is true in my experience. I would imagine that if you have a small engined car, not performance orientated, than it makes little difference. However, my car knocked with Tesco petrol. It's cheap for a reason. The fuel might all come from Statoil, but the different resellers add their own additives and cleaners/detergents. I will not buy from Tesco anymore - economy and performance were definitely worse with it.

Good to see someone else thinks so too. The car i had when buying the Tesco petrol was not a big litre car (1.4L) but the engine was very good and sensitive so I could tell the difference.

I would take a guess that this tesco petrol would not be good for performance cars anyway.

Remember tesco having problems with petrol earlier this year in england. Cars breaking down. And only tesco had the problem, not even their supplier. So must be something different in the fuel.

The good thing about tesco being around for me is that petrol stations near it are forced to keep close to the tesco price

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    1. It's cheaper (by a fair margin)

0c is a margin, let alone a fair one? Thats the price differential in Maynooth two days ago when I checked (Tesco 116.9, Maxol 116.9, Esso 116.9).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

0c is a margin, let alone a fair one? Thats the price differential in Maynooth two days ago when I checked (Tesco 116.9, Maxol 116.9, Esso 116.9).
    You mis-read (maybe). It's Tesco 115.9, Maxol 116.9, Esso 116.9 (today)

If Tesco find they're the same price as the other two they'll have it lowered within hours.

Was 116.9 when I last filled up, so I suspect they dropped it - minutely - to go below them.

I wonder does the extra distance from here to Tescos and back over here to Esso and back use up 25c fuel. Probably not... but I've other reasons for using Esso as I've explained already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I wish I had the option of getting tesco petrol(average price in Nenagh is €1.20), does any tesco in North Tipp do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was the more expensive of the petrol stations around by me for a while. Even when it's slightly cheaper, I avoid it as my experiences tend to be queuing for ages, driving into a pump, finding they're all out of order, then sitting there waiting for the person in front of me to drive off while a taxi driver leans on the horn behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

tuxy wrote: »
    I wish I had the option of getting tesco petrol(average price in Nenagh is €1.20), does any tesco in North Tipp do it?

how close is clonmel to you? they have tesco petrol now.

Advertisement