Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco Petrol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Personally, I do find a difference in performance with Tesco Diesel v. Maxol.

A neighbour recently had to have the engine in his 04 Merc C180 rebuilt *twice* by one of the big Merc dealers. The dealer said the cause of the problem was 'cheap petrol'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I've noticed a differnence with the tesco diesel also. I found the car to be slightly down on power and to be idling a bit rough also, also definately not as economical on it. Filled up at esso the next time and no problems! I've also talked to others having trouble with the tesco stuff... I'm not sure but it may be due to it being low sulphur "city diesel". I may be completly wrong though.

I drive a passat and ive heard of problems being experianced with an a3 and a saab 95 1.9tid.

Maybe certain engines dont like it as much as others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

chris85 wrote: »
    And only tesco had the problem, not even their supplier. So must be something different in the fuel.

Completely untrue. All the supermarket filling stations, Tesco, Morrisons and Asda, in the same part of the country in England had the same problem which was suspected to be due to a faulty batch of petrol which obviously came from a supplier whom Tesco and Morrisons happen to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

chris85 wrote: »
    I know well that they are using Statoil but I noticed a significant difference in the fuel efficiencies when i was using it and when i wasnt using it. Considering I was pretty much doing the same route and distance every week and the tesco petrol was not lasting.

I looked at it closely and was looking at about 10-15% less efficient. But everyone here likes proper statisitcs so dont matter.

I know a few others that have said this as well and will not get there petrol at tesco anymore.

I have used other stations for petrol and never had any reduction in economy. I will pretty much go to any other station and will only go to tesco as a last resort.

Just my experience with it, everyone has their own!

Last resort here, too. Or when I spent all the money on beer.
    Pete4779 wrote: »
    This is true in my experience. I would imagine that if you have a small engined car, not performance orientated, than it makes little difference. However, my car knocked with Tesco petrol. It's cheap for a reason. The fuel might all come from Statoil, but the different resellers add their own additives and cleaners/detergents. I will not buy from Tesco anymore - economy and performance were definitely worse with it.

My car can stutter horribly when using Tesco fuel. I notice a marked improvement on tickover with Esso and Texaco.
    Personally, I do find a difference in performance with Tesco Diesel v. Maxol.

A neighbour recently had to have the engine in his 04 Merc C180 rebuilt *twice* by one of the big Merc dealers. The dealer said the cause of the problem was 'cheap petrol'.

I've been warned not to use Tesco petrol for exactly this reason, by two different mechanics.
    Jip wrote: »
    Completely untrue. All the supermarket filling stations, Tesco, Morrisons and Asda, in the same part of the country in England had the same problem which was suspected to be due to a faulty batch of petrol which obviously came from a supplier whom Tesco and Morrisons happen to share.

Right. I believe there was too much ethanol in the mix?
    ---

I drive a 2ltr petrol auto and I get approaching 520 miles to a fill with Esso or Texaco. (Mixed driving)

The same fill, while cheaper, at Tesco will only get me approaching 410 miles, again with mixed driving.

I've done the math, based on the price at the time, and because of the better economy I get with non-Tesco petrol it negates any saving I might get at their pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Too much ethanol wouldn't have cause that serious a problem - it was silicon in it!

I need to actually calculate the mileage fromm esso vs. tesco but my erratic driving practices - 25 miles a day for work then the odd 500 mile a day sprint for football or clubbing - makes overal efficiencies hard to work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

MYOB wrote: »
    Too much ethanol wouldn't have cause that serious a problem - it was silicon in it!

I need to actually calculate the mileage fromm esso vs. tesco but my erratic driving practices - 25 miles a day for work then the odd 500 mile a day sprint for football or clubbing - makes overal efficiencies hard to work out.

I couldn't quite remember what it was, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I use them all the time... To be honest i can not see a difference. I had to fill up in esso recently as tesco was closed for some reason. I did not see any difference in economy, it depends on how i drive and where im doing said driving.

I did hear from my boss though, who just moved home from England that there was some scare with tesco petrol in the UK and engines breaking down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

Thats from before they investigated and found out it was silicon. Tescos put full page adverts apologising in the UK press after that (was a few months after)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

wincanton are the distribution company for Tesco & Statoil, the same fuel is delivered to both outlets....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Thats from before they investigated and found out it was silicon. Tescos put full page adverts apologising in the UK press after that (was a few months after)

I didnt realise that their supplier was different in England sorry.

Still Should never have happened. A big company like tesco should be choosing a supplier that has the competency to supply goods to the quality desired.

Bad batches should not happen for petrol. The control process to produce the petrol must not have been adequate and tesco should have known this. Tesco would have checked the process before they started getting petrol and they must have not known what they were doing.

The control involved in making petrol is very strict so is very strange that a bad batch is produced.

i am glad other people have seen this problem. Seems to be more on the higher performance cars. I have noticed from people i know that the japenese makes seem to be more sensitive to it. They obviously know good petrol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Tesco will be cheaper than all other petrol stations in the area and you can get clubcard points when you fill up and they offer 5c off every now and again but its not all the time.

Petrol is petrol they all come from the same part of the world its just your imagination if you think 1 petrol is better than another. if your still not sure set your gauge and calculate it yourself as long as you are driving the same conditions there will be no difference in fuel except the price.

if 1 garage is 1c cheaper go to that garage. 1c is not alot but over a year it all ads up. in my area 1 garage is 5c cheaper than all the others because i go through 100 litres a week thats a saving of around €300 a year that money is better in my pocket than theres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Apple Green are more than likely going to be cheaper than a Tesco. Petrol's between 115.9 and 119.9 in Limerick at the moment, but Apple Green are selling at 109.9 or 104.9 with a carwash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Petrol is petrol they all come from the same part of the world its just your imagination if you think 1 petrol is better than another.

So the 100 octane petrol they use in Japan is the same as the 95 octane we use here? :confused:

That said for the most part all petrol in Ireland is the same.

I have noticed how cheap Apple Green are, I just wish they had more stations.

Petrol is petrol they all come from the same part of the world its just your imagination if you think 1 petrol is better than another. if your still not sure set your gauge and calculate it yourself as long as you are driving the same conditions there will be no difference in fuel except the price.

Except for the fact its not. The "petrol" sold in my local Maxol is E5, the petrol sold in my local Esso is RON95 - they're not the same. Even within RON95 standard fuel the actual mixes sold by different suppliers are entirely different - they contain different oxygenates, they contain different detergents, and so on.

And I've done that. I get significantly (8-12%) less fuel efficiency out of what Tesco sells as petrol. It meets European standards, but that's about it. And for once they're not even the cheapest petrol station around here, Applegreen are by about 3 quid a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭corkandproud

wincanton are the distribution company for Tesco & Statoil, the same fuel is delivered to both outlets....

Have a look at a tanker the next time you pass one, they have 4-6 different compartments. Each one can hold a different mix. How can Shell have two different grades of unleaded?

Each proprietary reseller has its own mix of additives.

So a Statoil tanker delivering to Tesco does not automatically infer it's the same product going to both customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

tuxy wrote: »
    I wish I had the option of getting tesco petrol(average price in Nenagh is €1.20), does any tesco in North Tipp do it?

No, I think the new one in Limerick (Coonagh Cross) will be doing it, bus as far as I know it isn't yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

So a Statoil tanker delivering to Tesco does not automatically infer it's the same product going to both customers.

I bet the pub I was in last night watered down the Guinness too...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

When Dunnes in Maynooth opened I believe it was 10c per litre off if you spent more than 40

Fantastic marketing ploy by Dunnes there!! :D

Ive noticed a difference from Shell petrol to esso petrol. Ive even noticed a difference from different Esso's. Reset the gauge everytime and there can be 100Km of a difference in the petrol reading. (Driving is pretty much the same week in week out). On top of that, whether it be my imagination or not, I can sometimes feel the car stutter during acceleration dependant on the garage. Get most of my petrol from the one garage now, and seems fairly consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I filled up on Tesco diesel in Clonmel a while back just to see was the a difference on the mileage i got per tank.. none though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Shell are selling Super Diesel here claiming higher MPG.

Total are selling this stuff called Excellium. Haven't tried it though, diesel is diesel to me :)

antodeco wrote: »
    Fantastic marketing ploy by Dunnes there!! :D

:confused:

It was Tesco trying to prevent people from going to Dunnes by offering the higher discount...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I cant figure out why people think that if they can get petrol for the lowest price per litre that they save money. Tesco petrol is the lowest grade you can buy I used it a few times, while I was using it my car was doing 4-5 mpg less than 95 octane petrol and the engine would cut out in traffic low grade petrol is also bad for the car. I buy 95 octane petrol for 1.15 cent/litre which is better value and better for my car.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I buy 90 octane petrol for 1.15 cent/litre which is better value and better for my car.

That's terrible, 90 octane will cause misfires and damage your engine. Petrol has to be 95 octane to work on cars here. Tesco's is 95 octane or they would not be allowed sell it.

That's terrible, 90 octane will cause misfires and damage your engine. Petrol has to be 95 octane to work on cars here. Tesco's is 95 octane or they would not be allowed sell it.
    I meant 95 octane if 90 octane does all that which it doesn't American cars must be wrecked because their regular is 87 octane. Tesco as well as a lot of garages don't display the strenght of their petrol.

I meant 95 octane if 90 octane does all that which it doesn't American cars must be wrecked because their regular is 87 octane. Tesco as well as a lot of garages don't display the strenght of their petrol.

How would it wreck American cars? Your posts are very confusing.
    Octane ratings are calculated differently in America then in Europe and the ecu in American cars is set-up differently to accommodate the different fuel.
    Tesco fuel must still meat EU requirements. It would not meet requirements if it was under 95.
    So are you saying Tesco is selling illegal petrol?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tesco as well as a lot of garages don't display the strenght of their petrol.
    Is there a legal requirement to display the RON?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

91 octane petrol is still legally available in Austria, Poland, Hungary etc, which are all EU countries.

• Advertisement

How would it wreck American cars? Your posts are very confusing.
    Octane ratings are calculated differently in America then in Europe and the ecu in American cars is set-up differently to accommodate the different fuel.
    Tesco fuel must still meat EU requirements. It would not meet requirements if it was under 95.
    So are you saying Tesco is selling illegal petrol?
    Seeing that you are such an expert on petrol why does my mazda 6 cut out in traffic and do less miles to the gallon on tesco petrol whatever octane it is compared to 95 octane petrol that I now use?

Advertisement