Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel problems

Options
  • 02-12-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

bought a second hand car recently, a 96 seat ibiza. It passed its NCT the day before i bought it and has a full servise history and a brand new set of tires. Only thing is im getting sh1t millage regarding fuel. I put €10 into it the other day and only got bout 50 miles out of it. Any ideas as what it could be? I dont want to go to a garage yet and possibly end up spending money if its something i can sort out myself. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what price was the petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

€1.20 a liter, im working it out at about 20 miles/gallon

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Give it a full service (air filter and spark plugs especially)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

philiy wrote: »
    bought a second hand car recently, a 96 seat ibiza. It passed its NCT the day before i bought it and has a full servise history and a brand new set of tires. Only thing is im getting sh1t millage regarding fuel. I put €10 into it the other day and only got bout 50 miles out of it. Any ideas as what it could be? I dont want to go to a garage yet and possibly end up spending money if its something i can sort out myself. Any help would be great.

Thats approx 8.33 litres (going by your €1.20pl).
    I know my wifes Ibiza gets about 8l/100km when I'm in it, so by my calculations, I'd do 104km (65miles).

Your 50miles would give you 10.4l/100km.
    Are you driving with a lead foot?
    You couldn't base it off a €10 of petrol though.
    Maybe a few tank fulls then see what you're getting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

philiy wrote: »

Get a full service, its also possible that the airflow meter is shot, it gets filthy and doesn't give a plausable reading to the ECU, hence you burn more fuel.

Any mechanic with a Diagnostics kit should be able to check it out. Don't think you can hook it up to Vag-Com has it has the older type connector on it.

Advertisement