Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark marks/lines above my radiators?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why dark lines/marks are appearing on my walls in every room in the house.

Its like a stain on the wall above the radiators almost as if it was like smoke. The house is 2 years old and when it 1st happened we thought it was from dust.

We re-painted and the marks appeared again over time.:confused:

If anyone has any ideas let me know please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This is heat dust caused by dry particles of dust hitting the ceiling/walls and sticking as the result of the rising heat from the radiators.

This is normal. You can reduce the problem by lowering the heat of the radiator.
    What I would recommend is that when painting, ensure that the surface is washed with Sugar Soap to prevent the existing dirt from penetrating the fresh paint. You could also maybe look at using a washable paint to allow you to clean the area instead of having to repaint. It also seems to stick more to matt paint than to gloss...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

10-10-20 is right. It's dust and dirt clinging to the walls due to convection currents created by the radiator. This is one of the reasons why radiators are mounted under windows where the dirt/dust is less noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Cant believe you both got back so quick. Thank you , will try out your suggestions.

Again Thank You both .:)

Advertisement