Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need to get chimney swept with gas fire?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Do you need to get your chimney swept if you've a gas fire? Our fire has this awful habit of staining the whole room black and am trying to think of ways to avoid having to wash the mantlepiece every few weeks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

To answer your question - no, you shouldn't. But you seriously need to have somebody look at the gas fire if you have soot gathering. It's a possible sign of carbonmoxide- a silent killer. Gas burns cleanly in when the mix of air is correct and soot is a sign that you have incomplete combustion.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/co/index.html#risk

How can I tell if I may be at risk for CO poisoning in my home?

Homes with fuel-burning appliances (such as furnaces, water heaters, gas ovens, and fireplaces) or an attached garage are more likely to have CO problems. You should have your fuel-burning appliances checked by a qualified heating contractor every year to look for possible problems.

The following signs may indicate a CO problem:

* Streaks of soot around fuel-burning appliances;
    * Absence of an upward draft in your chimney;
    * Excess moisture found on windows, walls, or other cold surfaces;
    * Excessive rusting on flue pipes, other pipe connections, or appliance jacks;
    * Orange or yellow flames (should be blue) in your combustion appliances;
    * Smoky smells--don’t assume your fire alarm works;
    * Fallen soot in the fireplace;
    * Small amount of water leaking from the base of the chimney, vent, or flue pipe;
    * Damaged or discolored bricks at the top of your chimney; and
    * Rust on the portion of the vent pipe visible from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

10-10-20 wrote: »
    It's a possible sign of carbonmoxide- a silent killer. Gas burns cleanly in when the mix of air is correct and soot is a sign that you have incomplete combustion.

I'd have to agree with this and I'd also suggest that you don't use the gas fire until you have it checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

Thanks Guys!
    I'll call out the gas man to have a look at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

its not a bad idea to fit carbon monoxide detector in any home with a fuel burning applience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

just as an update for anyone in future...our chimney is partially blocked and the fire had the wrong coals fitted as well as a crack in it.. The gas guy removed the fire for me and told me I was very lucky. I'm now weighing up between getting an electric fire or just making it all pretty!
    If in doubt...get it checked!!!!

• Advertisement

Yay - boards saves!

Yay - boards saves!

Advertisement