Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going back to xp question

• 02-12-2007 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, i'm getting rid of vista and going back to xp, do i have to format the hard drive to do this or what? i don't want to lose all my files!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'd say you do have to reformat although I can't be sure.

Assuming your on Vista, it wasn't really designed for people to abandon because it is a terrible OS. Ms kind of assumed people would want to use it not go back to XP to safe themselves from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Backup all your files first -- you will need to reformat the drive to install XP.

Once you've reinstalled, copy your files onto the new install and tweak to your heart's content. Don't forget to install all the delightful updates from update.microsoft.com either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

ethernet wrote: »
    Backup all your files first -- you will need to reformat the drive to install XP.

Once you've reinstalled, copy your files onto the new install and tweak to your heart's content. Don't forget to install all the delightful updates from update.microsoft.com either.

Alternatively do a dual boot and run XP as well as that way IF you want need to move back or use vista in the future you still have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    Alternatively do a dual boot and run XP as well as that way IF you want need to move back or use vista in the future you still have it

Yeah lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You're making me quiver! There's a reason I didn't suggest dual-booting.

The last dual boot I saw wasn't pretty -- Vista wanted to take owner ship of files on the XP partition. Curse NTFS file permissions anyway -- what's the point when all it takes is a live CD to bypass?

I'm sure the OP won't mind fixing the MBR either by leaving the current install intact ... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If duel booting with Vista, you'll need to install XP, and then Vista, or Vista moans.

Oh, and ensure you can get drivers for XP for your model. Some manufactures only have Vista drivers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

the_syco wrote: »
    If duel booting with Vista, you'll need to install XP, and then Vista, or Vista moans.

Oh, and ensure you can get drivers for XP for your model. Some manufactures only have Vista drivers...

No you can install xp second i have it that way and no problems at all

Although it is probably best to have the one you use the most on the C drive as a lot of programs default to install themselves on C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

ethernet wrote: »
    You're making me quiver! There's a reason I didn't suggest dual-booting.

The last dual boot I saw wasn't pretty -- Vista wanted to take owner ship of files on the XP partition. Curse NTFS file permissions anyway -- what's the point when all it takes is a live CD to bypass?

I'm sure the OP won't mind fixing the MBR either by leaving the current install intact ... :rolleyes:

EasyBCD will sort out the MBR

There are loads of easy to follow tutorials out there

Google is your friend

Advertisement