Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pantibar

Options
  • 02-12-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

So. Has anyone been yet? What's the verdict? What sort of crowd was there?

I'm hoping to put in an appearance during the week when it is likely to be somewhat quieter than on its opening weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The name turned out to be "Panti's" in the end did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Yes, I think so. I mean I did hear talk in the last couple of weeks that it would be called Baxendales (the name of the hat shop that once occupied the premises in days of old), and that Pantibar was too staged a name for the bar.

I guess we shall have to see does the Panti brand (eurgh!) have an adequate attraction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A mate was there on Friday and he said it was very busy but enjoyable and that it got out the old GUBU crowd who had, apparently, not re-located elsewhere in the interim. Apparently they've cleaned out the pool tables below and put in a small dance floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Is it in the same place as GUBU was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ixoy wrote: »
    A mate was there on Friday and he said it was very busy but enjoyable and that it got out the old GUBU crowd who had, apparently, not re-located elsewhere in the interim. Apparently they've cleaned out the pool tables below and put in a small dance floor.

What what? The place was boarded up and abandoned for what seemed forever, where these people living in the basement or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is it in the same place as GUBU was?

Yuppers, haven't been yet but hope to pop in during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This is a gay bar? I was in there before it opened, doing a job for them on a PC. Must let my wife know, she likes gay bars and a lot of her Ebay friends are gay... just in case they did not know there is a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

It's nice, and a lot of the people who went to GUBU seemed to be back. It is called Pantibar. It was to be called Baxendales, named after the original thing that was there, and above the door it says as such but is called Pantibar.

They have a dance floor and they got rid of the big sofas, but apart from that it seems to be the same.

Oh, and all of the bar staff are young, muscular and wear very tight tops now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok I have got to ask, given the name it is like that underwear bar in sex in the city that Standford goes to and all the blokes check in thier trousers at the door ?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

God no, but I think that should be Dublin's next bar. All of us in our tighty-whiteys :) Although I doubt irish people would do the whole nekkid thing. They have one of those in Paris though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Ok I have got to ask, given the name it is like that underwear bar in sex in the city that Standford goes to and all the blokes check in thier trousers at the door ?

No, it's named after Miss Pandora Box - or Panti to the masses - Ireland's best and most beloved queen of queens. I'm not sure if she owns it or runs it, but she is in some way attached to the place, and has forsaken her traditional karaoke night in the Front Lounge to better do whatever it is she does to warrant the place adopting her name.

Is Miss Pandora Box that creature from cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Boston wrote: »

No. I don't know who you mean.

Count yourself lucky you've never had the pleasure, or at least don't remember/

The only two I know of from Cork are Fabula (absolutely sound bloke) and Kelly Klitoris (went to my secondary school although I only know him to see).

Nah, you definitely know who I'm talking about stark. Posted over on gaycork for awhile. Was one of the drag queens on that gay pride bus thing a few years back.

Ah, I know who you mean now. When you mentioned the pride bus, I was thinking "Lucy Fur?" for a while (an absolute dote according to all who've met her and a really good performer), but then I realised who you're actually talking about.

/smiles and thinks of that Podge and Rodge episode...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Presumabely Panti will no longer be DJing in the smoking area of The Dragon now?

Just had my first Pantibar experience last night and I have to give it a resounding... *yawn*

I found it rather dull and drab, the layout is much like the Gubu pre stupid bed/ seats which is good, but the paint job is dull, a few posters of Panti on the walls and the FLAT pints €5 a pop! ah here, it'd be grand to bring a date there cause there'd be nothing to distract him, what with the older clientèle but for me I just found it boring... nothing new or original about it!

So it fundamentally fails as a pub. If I'm paying 5 euro for a pint, it better be damn well the bomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

€5? Bloody hell.

That's a pity.

Will be heading in here with a mate of mine later, probably just as well I'm driving if the pints are dodgy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Well I made it in this weekend. OK it still looks like GUBU, but with the beds and pool tables gone. But it is another bar to go to, and for that, Pantibar should be celebrated.

One thing I did not like was when Veda started to DJ, the volume was turned up waaay too loud. While she might think otherwise, some people are there for a chat and not to listen to her choice of music.

Overall a thumbs up from me and great to see Panti behind the bar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Have been twice. Once with a group of friends and last time with my partner. Its the same as Gubu except without the beds. There is a dancefloor downstairs. Pints were flat on both occasions and €5 each. I said to the barman to put a head on that please and he looked at me like I was mad. Bottles from now on. All in all I do like it as I liked Gubu however the they need to show the staff how to pull a good pint.

fitzyshea wrote: »
    All in all I do like it as I liked Gubu however the they need to show the staff how to pull a good pint.

And explain what "club orange" is. He then went to put whiskey in it... was somewhat disappointed in all, as the age group seems to have got ever so slightly higher, but it was thursday evening, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 charlietangodel

Boston wrote: »

*Shudder
    I think you are thinking of Mary Harness?

Panti is from 'the Whest' if I'm not mistaken.

I was in Pantibar last Friday night and for 9.30 there was a shockin' small crowd.
    The bar reminded me of some of those Gay bars in the UK, the ones that have the curtains drawn on all their road fronted windows. It was a little dark for my liking but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I wish good luck to anyone who is brave enough to open a new bar in Dublin in this economic climate.

Bottoms up Panti!!

I've been back a few times since, I actually kinda like it now... still avoiding the pints though ;P

Advertisement