Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interested in trading options?

• 02-12-2007 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    We are final year business students, currently undertaking a group project ' Sunrise Online Options Trading Co'. The attached link is a customer survey and will be used for DCU assignment purpose only.We will appreciate if you could spend 2 mins to fill in the survey.

Thanks very much for your time!

Please click the link below:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=4xNjv_2fAj7OZLcw_2fto1ZxcQ_3d_3d

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sunrisetrading

I've been trading American Options for the last 6 months. Really had great fun. I enjoy doing the Technical and Fundamental analysis.Applied a good few strategies( Calender Spread,Long Straddle,52 week High/low, as well as some directional trading). I lock my profits usually within a few days after placing my trades. Made some significant profits within a few days.I am happy with what I am doing now at spare time.

As a beginner with trading options, I summarized the following personal memo:

1.Always make sure you pick the right stock
    2.Do not sell naked
    3.dont not be greedy,be good at time and money management
    4.Buy cheap options only
    5.Buy options with expiration date at least 60 days from now
    6.Keep your ear open to news
    7.Hav a fancy PAD with u,ensure u can close ur trades no matter where u are.

Just wondering if any one is also trading options, can exchange some practical opinions and techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

One thread on the same topic is enough guys. No need to post it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Hi Sunrise,

You might get more of a discussion at www.trade2win.com

I've only ever done virtual trading but plan on getting into the real stuff when I can get a it of cash-flow going.

Out of interest :
    What capital did you feel was sufficient to start up?
    What have been your influences?
    Who do you use?
    When you started off, how much exposure have you left yourself open to?

Any other info?

This is open to anyone else who wants to share of course :)

I know the strategies you're implying, I just haven't put them into use with capital yet, still playing with a simulator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Article43

I've been trading American Options for the last 6 months. Really had great fun. I enjoy doing the Technical and Fundamental analysis.Applied a good few strategies( Calender Spread,Long Straddle,52 week High/low, as well as some directional trading). I lock my profits usually within a few days after placing my trades. Made some significant profits within a few days.I am happy with what I am doing now at spare time.

Incorrect: Picking the right stock has nothing to do with making money from trading !

2.Do not sell naked

Incorrect: This is what the pros want you to think as over 80% of traded options expire worthless - but not for the light hearted !

Correct

4.Buy cheap options only

Incorrect: Sell expensice options at the right time !

Incorrect: Sell expensive options with at least 30 days to expiration.

Incorrect: The only thing you need to know about news is at what time the reports are released - and do not trade at those times !

Not realistic unless you are daytrading and are in complete control !

Just wondering if any one is also trading options, can exchange some practical opinions and techniques.

Yes, I do, but only Index Options and only selling, no buying. As for sharing, not at the moment as my main focus is daytrading stocks and index futures.

Rgds,

Article43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

2.Do not sell naked

Incorrect: This is what the pros want you to think as over 80% of traded options expire worthless - but not for the light hearted !

I think the point to note here is that if 80% of options expire worthless, some of the remaining 20% will expire deep in the money: this is what you need to hedge against. You should be thinking in terms of expected value rather than percentage of options expiring profitably.

An analogy would be rolling a die: if you roll a six, I pay you ten euro, but if you roll anything else, you pay me one euro. Now, over 80% of your rolls will be less than worthless, costing you a euro. However, over the course of many rolls, I will lose money by "selling" you the chance to play this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

sunrisetrading
    Always make sure you pick the right stock

Article43
    Incorrect: Picking the right stock has nothing to do with making money from trading !

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
    That sav’d a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found,
    Was blind, but now I see that Picking the right stock has nothing to do with making money from trading .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Fremen wrote: »
    You should be thinking in terms of expected value rather than percentage of options expiring profitably

Exactly.
    strange that someone so confident in their own ability to trade would not know this......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

2.Do not sell naked
    4.Buy cheap options only

You really just need to be aware that what you are trading with options is volatility. If they are 'cheap' it is for a reason.
    The likelihood of a stock going up or down has no bearing on the price of the option. Vols are at very high levels lately, your call is whether you see that continuing or abating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Mikel wrote: »
    You really just need to be aware that what you are trading with options is volatility. If they are 'cheap' it is for a reason.
    The likelihood of a stock going up or down has no bearing on the price of the option. Vols are at very high levels lately, your call is whether you see that continuing or abating
    If you expect high volatility then you could just buy a call and a put, straddle the market.
    Often just one facet of information can be profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dollarhane

I think you guys should consider covered calls a bit more. I have about 20% uncovered calls which are long or in a strategy and the rest is all either shorted stock or stock which has been covered. Reduces risk and can give quite a nice premium without when selling. Expiry date should be the next month. But usually I would get a return of about 5% a month and one can STO and buy back as many times as the stock rises and falls.
    Its a nice way to sleep at night if 80% of your fund is in more or less safe hands. Of coarse, you have to pick the right stock with the right volatility but Apple is looking very nice at the moment.

Advertisement