Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Golf GT?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I'm wishfully thinking about upgrading my car and would like to go for a Golf but even the 1.6 is slower than my current 1.4 so don't want to be going backwards. Looking at the GT then as I love the spec and design but insurance will be a problem. 170bhp version is out of the question. That leaves the 140 and 122 versions I think? The 122 is what I would be aiming for. I'm not getting it for the speed, but then again the Golf is a heavy car and I don't want something sluggish. I'm also looking at the new Bravo 1.40 140bhp model.

Can someone tell me a bit more about these models? I got a very reasonable quote of 2k fully comp on a 1.9jtd (150bhp) alfa 147 but the 1.9 would be too much for me to run right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

su_dios wrote: »
    ............I got a very reasonable quote of 2k fully comp on a 1.9jtd (150bhp) alfa 147 but the 1.9 would be too much for me to run right now.

The 1.9 diesel should be the easiest to run - fuel wise.
    There has been a lot of previous discussion on the Golf GT's - try a quick search....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Its more the tax and the jump from a 1.4 to 1.9. Ill check it out thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If there is a big enough difference in price between the 122bhp and 140bhp then I would settle for the 122bhp. It is decent enough power for a 1.4 litre petrol engine and more than enough for Irish roads. I'd rather spend the difference on extras.

I would also forget about the Jetta, basically a Golf with a boot, they are a poor seller for VW and will be worth only a fraction of the Golf come selling time. If you do want a saloon then look at the Passat, it is getting the 122bhp 1.4 TSi engine also in January.

Regarding the 1.9Tdi, I would avoid this engine unless fuel economy is your only concern. The 1.9 was a good engine in it's day but that is long gone. It is noisy, unrefined and not very powerful these days, there are much better similar priced diesel cars out there nowadays. VW should do the honorable thing and drop it entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Have you looked at the Octavia with the 1.8TSI engine - 160bhp? And damn good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The 1.9 diesel should be the easiest to run - fuel wise.
    There has been a lot of previous discussion on the Golf GT's - try a quick search....

It also has tractor-like levels of refinement (an insult to the latest tractors probably) and a power-to-CC ratio that's more 1997 than 2007....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

pburns wrote: »
    It also has tractor-like levels of refinement (an insult to the latest tractors probably) and a power-to-CC ratio that's more 1997 than 2007....

I think he meant the Alfa 1.9d.

Yep I did. I'm only looking for a hatchback and again insurance could be a problem but at least looking for a quote first so I can decide. 122 shouldn't be too unreasonable .. I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

By class standards the golf is not a heavy car.Model for model its lighter than the focus , C4 and I30.

Just revisiting this again..saw a nice GT. Is there a 140bhp model available that still has the exact same GT front? Any 1.4 140bhp I've seen is a tsi with no GT label? Also quinn won't quote me using their online system for this car... does that mean when I ring them they'll give me a totally unreasonable quote? :( I would almost go and buy a cheaper golf but they're just not as quick as they should be or look and have the trim that the GT has.

Details are, 21yrs old, 1 year no claims, full licence half of year. Totally unreasonable to be looking at a car like this? I would like the lower bhp version if I went for it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What is the trim on these anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Hey OP i'm in a similar position to you. I have had a 1.4 Golf for the past 12 months (first car) but looking to upgrade in the next few weeks and have been looking around.

The GT range is now called the GT Sport, and this appears on the front grill. What appears on the back of the car varies between TSI and GT. I was in a main VAG dealer at the weekend as I am seriously looking at the 140 or 170 versions. After talking to one of the sales guys, if I am to go for a new Golf, it will almost certainly be the 140. He made several good points as to why i should.

At base the 140 GT sport comes in at roughly 26,500 (3 dr). I specced out a model which included interior leather, centre armrest, metallic paint and several other minor extras and it came to roughly 29,500. The 170 at base is roughly 31,000, and although it has one or two trim details exlusive to it as standard over the 140 (exposed chrome twin exhausts, ESP, 17" Classixs wheels), I feel the 140 with the few extras I mentioned above are better value coming in at almost 2k less. Just some food for thought for ya :).

I'm hoping to test drive the 140 later in the week. I have to make my mind up soon as the mileage is growing on my own (91,500).

I'm aware there has been discussion before regarding the GT range....anybody with a quick link or two before I go searching?! :o

Brilliant thanks! That explained a lot for me. I don't see any 140's advertised though? I take it I would have to order brand new? Thats a good price, I don't want leather and not mad on those alloys..want to pick up some rs32 ones I think although I've a feeling these are 18 or 19" only? Its a shame about the exhausts though..

What is the insurance like?

OP you might want to think about waiting until after 1st July to buy new as the price of the Golf GT will change (assuming VW pass the VRT saving on to the customer). While it will not make a difference to insurance this will also effect annual road tax. Afaik the 1.4 TFSi will benefit from the new VRT/road tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Fizman wrote: »
    Hey OP i'm in a similar position to you. I have had a 1.4 Golf for the past 12 months (first car) but looking to upgrade in the next few weeks and have been looking around.

The GT range is now called the GT Sport, and this appears on the front grill. What appears on the back of the car varies between TSI and GT. I was in a main VAG dealer at the weekend as I am seriously looking at the 140 or 170 versions. After talking to one of the sales guys, if I am to go for a new Golf, it will almost certainly be the 140. He made several good points as to why i should.

At base the 140 GT sport comes in at roughly 26,500 (3 dr). I specced out a model which included interior leather, centre armrest, metallic paint and several other minor extras and it came to roughly 29,500. The 170 at base is roughly 31,000, and although it has one or two trim details exlusive to it as standard over the 140 (exposed chrome twin exhausts, ESP, 17" Classixs wheels), I feel the 140 with the few extras I mentioned above are better value coming in at almost 2k less. Just some food for thought for ya :).

I'm hoping to test drive the 140 later in the week. I have to make my mind up soon as the mileage is growing on my own (91,500).

I'm aware there has been discussion before regarding the GT range....anybody with a quick link or two before I go searching?! :o

You mean to say that the 140 still does'nt even have ESP as standard in this country???Thats a disgrace IMO.If you bought a golf 2.0-SDI(70bhp and EXtremely slow) base spec in the uk 4 YEARS ago you'd have ESP.I doubt anyone who ever bought that model ever even had to use ESP

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP you might want to think about waiting until after 1st July to buy new as the price of the Golf GT will change (assuming VW pass the VRT saving on to the customer). While it will not make a difference to insurance this will also effect annual road tax. Afaik the 1.4 TFSi will benefit from the new VRT/road tax system.

If I was to order one for that period (not sure how long the waiting is) would I benefit of the vrt savings or does it have to be ordered after then?

If I was to order one for that period (not sure how long the waiting is) would I benefit of the vrt savings or does it have to be ordered after then?

Any new car or import registered from 1st July onwards will use the new VRT/road tax system afaik, so it should make no difference when the car was actually ordered.

Lead time on VWs from date of order to date of delivery is normally about 10 to 12 weeks afaik but could be longer depending on demand and options ordered.

Cool this could be a possibility then. Theres a lot of talk about the DSG box..is this basically just a paddle shift automatic? Whats all the hype about it?

Cool this could be a possibility then. Theres a lot of talk about the DSG box..is this basically just a paddle shift automatic? Whats all the hype about it?

The DSG box has gotten nothing but great reviews by owners and the motoring press. I think it actually is a little better on fuel too than the manual. Don't know the technical jargin around it but afaik it uses a double clutch system that has the next gear selected for the drive to engage or something like that.

Might pop over to youtube to see if it has any reviews or explanations of the dsg box. I would go and buy an 07 demo or near demo condition if I could find a 1.4 gt sport 140 in a 3door.. in the right colour.. haha bit picky

Zonda999 wrote: »
    You mean to say that the 140 still does'nt even have ESP as standard in this country???Thats a disgrace IMO.If you bought a golf 2.0-SDI(70bhp and EXtremely slow) base spec in the uk 4 YEARS ago you'd have ESP.I doubt anyone who ever bought that model ever even had to use ESP
    I'm almost 100% sure it says in the extras leaflet that i got off dealer that ESP is standard on 170 only, and costs 850 or so as an extra for 140 or lower models. Yes, that is pretty brutal to be honest.

• Advertisement

Brilliant thanks! That explained a lot for me. I don't see any 140's advertised though? I take it I would have to order brand new? Thats a good price, I don't want leather and not mad on those alloys..want to pick up some rs32 ones I think although I've a feeling these are 18 or 19" only? Its a shame about the exhausts though..

What is the insurance like?

If I go for a new GT Sport i'm thinking of putting the 18" GTI wheels on it, or maybe 18" new RS4 wheels (Isaw a base MKV Golf with them on and it looked incredibly good IMO). I'm pretty sure the R32 wheels are 18". It is a shame about the exhausts alright. I'm not completely sure on the form of the exhausts (possibly exposed twins-just with no chrome). Have to look up that one!

On insurance, I just did a quick online quote with quoteline.ie, put in my own details (roughly :)) which are, 25 yrs old, 1 year no claims, full licence, have that 0 years. Got quoted €1,516. I don't think thats too bad considering my portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

There are a couple of TSIs on carzone.

My advice go for the 140bhp version. Cracker of an engine, and none of the pretentious add-ons that appear on the 170bhp version ie crap gti immitation gti grille and two chrome effect tailpipes....

bazz26 wrote: »
    Afaik the 1.4 TFSi will benefit from the new VRT/road tax system.

Well going by manufacturers figures, the 1.4 tfsi actually suffers from the new tax system. On the old/current cubic scale tax is €292.
    On the new Co2: the 140hp will be €430 (169 g/km), the 170 hp will be €600 (171g/km)!! Note that the cut off point between Band D and E is 170 g/km, so don't hold me to that, as either of these engines could possibly fall either side of this!!!

However the 140 (again going by manufacturers figures) should benefit a nice bit from the new VRT scheme, with VRT set at 24% as opposed to current 30%!

The 170 will be 28%.

Note: Please correct me if any of the figures in my posts are off, but i think what i said is ok:)

greatdeeds wrote: »
    There are a couple of TSIs on carzone.

My advice go for the 140bhp version. Cracker of an engine, and none of the pretentious add-ons that appear on the 170bhp version ie crap gti immitation gti grille and two chrome effect tailpipes....

I think the grill looks nicer, exhaust is similar and trim is similar to the gti.. hardly pretentious when its 170bhp car? You would expect a sports spec on a car like that (hatchback) Too many gtis driving around I think.

The tsi is not the gt though? Its the gt I'm after.. with the grill you're not too fond of

Fizman wrote: »

On insurance, I just did a quick online quote with quoteline.ie, put in my own details (roughly :)) which are, 25 yrs old, 1 year no claims, full licence, have that 0 years. Got quoted €1,516. I don't think thats too bad considering my portfolio.

Thats very reasonable. Only difference for me from your details is I'm only turning 22. I would be happy at 2.5k though..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My younger brother just got the 1.4 150bhp Bravo & it is fantastic. I had it out for a spin at the weekend + it is jammed full of cool features that you just won't get on the Golf. It has 18" alloys, blue & me computer, A/C standard, follow me home lights & it goes like a rocket... Is also the best looking car in its class IMO

Bluefoam wrote: »
    My younger brother just got the 1.4 150bhp Bravo & it is fantastic. I had it out for a spin at the weekend + it is jammed full of cool features that you just won't get on the Golf. It has 18" alloys, blue & me computer, A/C standard, follow me home lights & it goes like a rocket... Is also the best looking car in its class IMO

I was looking at that model and am upgrading from a stilo at the moment. It looks good but not great and its no stilo. It has the best features around though but those red and black seats are nasty! Completely put me off the car. Great engine though from what I've heard. Cheap too!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    I have a 140bhp Golf since June, unreal car. Have a Golf for the last 6 years and this is the best buy. Extra's i put in were 17" Estorils, 8 speaker audio, fog lights and armrest. Put my own badge on grill which cost 10 euro.
    Insurance was same as standard 1.4 which is 250 euro fully comp. I am 28 though. Power is great and fuel economy is as good with my previous 1.4 75bhp. I get an average 850kms per fill (55 litre tank capacity).

pete6296 wrote: »
    Insurance was same as standard 1.4 which is 250 euro fully comp. I am 28 though.
    Nice premium pete, who are you with if you don't mind me asking? I'm assuming you also have at least 5 years no claims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

I'm with Hibernian, did the ignition test over four years ago and i have 4 years no claims.

Advertisement