Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Golf GT?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Went to have a look at them today. No 140's around really good few 170's. I have to say I really like it but only in the 3door. Colour-wise..I'm LOST!
    How about opinions on colours? Or if you have a GT yourself post a pic? I looked at red silver and united grey. I do admit I like the silver a lot. Red not so much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

I would go with red but remember the bumper is black so you need to contemplate on spraying it red which costs 300 to 400 euro. I went with pearl effect black because of that but very hard to keep clean. Hope this helps.

Do you mean the centre bit where the reg plate is? Because thats now black as opposed to have being bodycolour before. I kind of like it black now.. I was going to go for red but wasn't too impressed. Silver does look nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Black is my personal favourite on most cars, followed in second by silver. But I don't think black does the GT Sport justice for some strange reason. Silver or metallic grey would be my choice. I gotta say I really like GT sport/GTI in white, I just don't think i could ever own one :)

Yeah it is amazing in candy white. Really is something else but I'm not sure if I could keep that clean and resale might be a problem.

• Advertisement

About to order one of these and just looking for some photos of a United Grey Gt that was on boards before. Can't seem to find the thread but it was a front on shot of a members UG GT up close. Think it had uprated lights too. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

su_dios wrote: »
    About to order one of these and just looking for some photos of a United Grey Gt that was on boards before. Can't seem to find the thread but it was a front on shot of a members UG GT up close. Think it had uprated lights too. Any ideas?

This the one?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055088182&highlight=golf+gt+sport&page=3

Brilliant thanks! I just read that whole thread too. The image must not have loaded and i went through it quickly. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Fizman wrote: »
    Well going by manufacturers figures, the 1.4 tfsi actually suffers from the new tax system. On the old/current cubic scale tax is €292.
    On the new Co2: the 140hp will be €430 (169 g/km), the 170 hp will be €600 (171g/km)!! Note that the cut off point between Band D and E is 170 g/km, so don't hold me to that, as either of these engines could possibly fall either side of this!!!

However the 140 (again going by manufacturers figures) should benefit a nice bit from the new VRT scheme, with VRT set at 24% as opposed to current 30%!

The 170 will be 28%.

Note: Please correct me if any of the figures in my posts are off, but i think what i said is ok:)

The 140 and 170 are in 22.5% VRT at the moment, so they(especially the 170) are going to get done for emissions in July, as per your post. On the flip side the 122 bhp version of the engine does 149 g/km, so 20% VRT for that and that model is the cleanest petrol available in the Golf(by comparison the old tech 1.6 8v does 176 g/km, so that's 28% VRT and €600 tax a year, and it's predecessor, the 1.6 FSI does 159 g/km so 24% VRT and €430 road tax if it were possible to buy one of these in July).

By the way the Golf GTI will be in the same VRT and road tax category as the 170 GT Sport in July.

I thought the GTI was 1k tax after July. The one thing I don't understand is, will I have to pay the 600eur tax next year if I buy before the change in July or will it remain at 320eur as 1.4s are currently?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pete6296 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a 140bhp Golf since June, unreal car. Have a Golf for the last 6 years and this is the best buy. Extra's i put in were 17" Estorils, 8 speaker audio, fog lights and armrest. Put my own badge on grill which cost 10 euro.
    Insurance was same as standard 1.4 which is 250 euro fully comp. I am 28 though. Power is great and fuel economy is as good with my previous 1.4 75bhp. I get an average 850kms per fill (55 litre tank capacity).

I'm not saying you can't be right here, but somthing just doesn't add up.

The GT is nearly double the power of the old 1.4, and is worth maybe twice as much as a cooking model?

A 28 year old can insure that for €250 comp?

As I said something just doesn't add up.

p.s. Over 44mpg?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I thought the GTI was 1k tax after July. The one thing I don't understand is, will I have to pay the 600eur tax next year if I buy before the change in July or will it remain at 320eur as 1.4s are currently?

New VRT and Motor tax system only applies to new cars and imports 1st registrerd here AFTER 1/7/08.

Hi,
    Thats my insurance with Hibernian, checked it four times to be sure and i clearly stated its 140bhp. Driving very handy gives 44mpg but if you put the boot down for power, this dramatically reduces.
    What does'nt add up?
    Thanks,
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

The kid bro's 170BHP GT struggles to get 550Km's per fill up!

Your premium Pete. I'm a good bit older than you, and am a "model risk", driving a less valuable and lower performance car.

My premium (which I know is competitive) is well over €400 p.a.

Your insurance cert. shouldn't show the bhp of the car btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dunno ins can be funny

im 27 (26 when i took the premium out) and my bmw 530i is 600 euro per annum, fully comp and full ncb protection

My insurance cert does'nt show bhp, i never said it did.
    I am truly happy with my premium, my cover etc.

My advise to you is to shop around, thats what i do on an annual basis plus i have both health, house and wifes insurance with company offering more discounts

I've seen one I want. Can anyone tell me what exactly are the "daytime driving lights"? Apart from the obvious of course...

pete6296 wrote: »
    I am truly happy with my premium, my cover etc.

My advise to you is to shop around, thats what i do on an annual basis plus i have both health, house and wifes insurance with company offering more discounts

Thanks, but it still doesn't add up.

I just went to Hibernians website and input some details. The info I entered was all designed to minimise the premium.

Basic Comp. for a basic 2008 Golf 1.4 (didn't bother inputting the more highly insurance rated GT) was over €380 p.a.

henry, try insure.ie. I got a quote from them on said car for 1900eur. I didn't follow it up and got an email a few days later from them asking me to give them a ring with my details and they'll see if they can manually beat the quote. Eventually got a quote for 1570eur fully comp. Quinn, who I am currently insured with want 2950. Insure.ie gave e a quote for renewing my current car also which is a 1.4 with 95bhp, and was less than 100eur cheaper. Now theres not much logic there! (made sure they knew it was the 170bhp model btw)

• Advertisement

I think you may be missing my point Su dios.

I don't even own a Golf, but I've grave doubts over the posters €250 p.a. comp. premium claim on a Golf GT.

As I said above the minimum premium for a base Golf is nearly €400.

No I got you, but insurance is completely different for every situation. Also using a broker would get you better deals than going straight to the company themselves. I agree that that premium is extremely low, although maybe he knows somebody in the insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

bazz26 wrote: »
    If there is a big enough difference in price between the 122bhp and 140bhp then I would settle for the 122bhp. It is decent enough power for a 1.4 litre petrol engine and more than enough for Irish roads. I'd rather spend the difference on extras.

I would also forget about the Jetta, basically a Golf with a boot, they are a poor seller for VW and will be worth only a fraction of the Golf come selling time. If you do want a saloon then look at the Passat, it is getting the 122bhp 1.4 TSi engine also in January.

Regarding the 1.9Tdi, I would avoid this engine unless fuel economy is your only concern. The 1.9 was a good engine in it's day but that is long gone. It is noisy, unrefined and not very powerful these days, there are much better similar priced diesel cars out there nowadays. VW should do the honorable thing and drop it entirely.

Drive an 06 1.9 TDI Passat (105 BHP) and its plenty powerful enough for Irish roads. Anyway Diesel's are all about torque not BHP. I've had plenty of cars over the years that had more BHP than the Passat also, so I know what I'm saying is true.

1.9 TDI has been superceeded in all areas of performance. It's still a decent lump, and may indeed provide enough for some drivers, but more modern units beat it at pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Drive an 06 1.9 TDI Passat (105 BHP) and its plenty powerful enough for Irish roads. Anyway Diesel's are all about torque not BHP. I've had plenty of cars over the years that had more BHP than the Passat also, so I know what I'm saying is true.

I have also driven a good few petrol and diesel cars so I still stand by my comments. Diesels have moved on in leaps and bounds since the old 1.9 TDi has been around. It was a good engine but is outdated in 2008. VAG only still sell it because of cheaper manufacturing costs. Most diesel manufacturers have moved to common rail technology which are way more refined. Even VAG is now starting to introduce the common rail TDi to their range.

Anyway the old 1.9 TDi will most likely be killed off in the next couple of years as the new EURO V emmissons compliance baselines come into effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Hi lads actually have a GT140 ordered hopefully arriving in March (12 week waiting period). From The research I have done you are better off to buy this car before July as road tax and VRT increase.

I got the red as I think the black grill really sets off the car am going to paint the back bumper red though.

Insurance wise am currently paying 360 for a 1L polo upgrading to the GT has only raised that to €500 am 28 with full license 8yrs and 0 points 3yrs no claim.

The fiat bravo is a nice car but will loose its value pretty quick also insureance quote for that ccar was over 700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No I got you, but insurance is completely different for every situation. Also using a broker would get you better deals than going straight to the company themselves. I agree that that premium is extremely low, although maybe he knows somebody in the insurance company.

I don't agree with that. I find brokers tend to use the same few companies and don't really shop around, like you can yourself.

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't agree with that. I find brokers tend to use the same few companies and don't really shop around, like you can yourself.

I suppose it depends on the brokers really. I have tried quoteline.ie and insure.ie and both have given better quotes than I could get from trying the main insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I suppose it depends on the brokers really. I have tried quoteline.ie and insure.ie and both have given better quotes than I could get from trying the main insurance companies.

Seconded. I'm on cover with Hibernian for cheaper than Hibernian Direct were quoting me. Go Figure. Was with Royal and Sun Alliance before that on my last car on a great deal, again through a broker.

If you find a good broker they will generally be able to beat the quotes coming directly from the insurance company.

There is a myth out there that dealing direct with the insurance company and cutting out the middle man so to speak is the best way to save money on insurance. Not so in my experience. Get yourselves a good broker..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have to find a broker I couldn't beat on price. YMMV. ;)

Advertisement