Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prize bonds - ever won or know a winner?

• 02-12-2007 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

Found some old prize bonds that I got as a present in 1993 to the value of £10. Straight onto the web assuming i'd have €50k or something waiting for me, but alas, I did not. So, after asking some mates, turns out a few people have them but never won a cent nor do they know anyone who has won anything.

Anyone here ever won anything with them at all?

Ever won anything with prize bonds? 54 votes

Yep, I've won with them.
    1% 1 vote
    I know someone who won money.
    42% 23 votes
    What are Prize Bonds, old man?
    35% 19 votes
    Never won. Don't know anyone who has.
    20% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Won three or four times, minimum or next to minimum prize. Don't worry about checking for winnings, they post you out the cheque :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Nope, nor do I know anyone who has won anything over €100 on the Lotto. Everyone 'knows of' someone who won something, but mysteriously no one knows them directly :confused:

Its all a scam IMO. I'll believe this until proven otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Poll edited to better reflect your original post. Hope this is OK, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

yep, should have included that meself considering its the answer i need to choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Have never won (i have about 20, presents for birthdays etc), don't know anyone that has, and i know loads of people that have them.

I heard though that you will be notified in writing if you ever do win, can't wait for that letter to drop in my mail box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

My sister just asked me the same question tonight and neither of us know anyone who has won.

They have been around 50 years - there is millions upon millions in issue as people dont normally cash them in. Many of the winners are probably dead or moved house etc so assume unclaimed prizes/uncashed cheques go back into fund ? Or do they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... gotten a bunch over the years as presents too...

Never won anything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Bought €100 worth about 4 yr ago i think. Never won or heard of anyone winning.

I suppose the only good thing about it is that you get your money(deflated due to inflation) back as well as a chance of winning unlike the lotto where you have a similar chance of winning but it all goes to good causes allegedly.

Guess buying and cashing in and then buying every few years is the safest bet to win and get your money back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Have about €30 worth for years and never won a cent. Don't know anyone who has either. Now that I think about it, they're probably the worst possible present you can give someone. It's like saying "I'm giving you €20 but you'll never be able to touch it for fear of missing out on a win that will never happen. This bond will sit in a drawer gathering dust and taunting you for ever."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I was thinking the same thing when I heard an ad on the radio for them last week, it said something about a million euro jackpot for christmas or some such. My gran won some money on them years ago. That's about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Was bought a set for my Confirmation all those years ago and another for my 21st, I think about 40euro worth altogether. A cheque arrived in the post at the end of the summer holidays for a crisp 250euro.

I really thought it was fake. Tw'asnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

hopefully some day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I won 75euro, have had 50euros worth for around 6years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've won €75 a couple of times - both times I was buying €100 worth about once a year.

Wonder if they're audited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've had some for over 20 years, won nothing thus far. It's a bit of a scam, think of all the Mars bars I could have gotten back then compared to what I would get now if I was to withdraw the money! An Post must make some nice interest off us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i won £200 back in the day.i was only 13 at the time and they had been both for me by my Granny.

£200 + 13 yr-old boy = bad thing*

*i spent about £100 on Premier League Stickers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

my family has prize bonds my grandpa bought when the scheme started. 50 years on and still nothing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have about €65 worth dating back to the early '80's.
    I don't think anything was ever won on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

D'nt have any prize bonds, don't know any winners either (have "heard" of people winning)

My friend was working in a newsagents/florists back in January and has a massive row with his boss on the phone. He quit and before he left the shop he bought an all-cash scratch card. he won 10K on the flippin' thing. Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

My dad told me a few weeks ago he has prize bonds the last 20 yrs and never won anything. He called them last jan complaining about that fact and now he has won 8 TIMES this year!!!!!!!!!!

Total fix IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

haha ringing up to complain that you havent won a random competition. Though it did seem to work so who am I to judge!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My brothers won a few hundred quid on them

I've won ~1300 euros on the lotto on one ticket, so people do get more than 100 on that too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd have voted 'Dont own any, or even know anyone that has em', but there was no option for that, so voted 'Never Won'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Dont even know how they work. Is like the lotto or does 1 prize bond do forever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Ive won €75 twice. I have €1,000 worth which I bought 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I have £5 (ye olde money) worth since I was a nipper. Nowt won though :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Don't know anybody who has ever won anything with prize bonds. Know someone who won a share of the jackpot in the Lotto plus one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I worked for a long time as a Finacial Advisor. In that time I met a grat many clients who had "Invested" In prize Bonds. Prize Bonds are not a Investment. There a black hole that good money is sent to, to do nothing. Better off blowing it on scrath cards and hidding it under your matteres

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

my ma has prize bonds since she got married in the 1950s

hasnt won a single thing. whole things a scam if ya ask me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 littlemizz

na i bought some bout 3 years ago, still waiting to win! :rolleyes:forgot all bout them for ages until someone reminded me bout them......i better go check the letter box....just incase!:D *scurries along*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

They basically just devalue your money.

Afaik, I think I have €100ish of them. None of which were bought by me. Much better investments out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

Yep. I personally know someone that won £140,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

From the prizebond site :
    What are the chances to win a prize if you have for example €1,000 invested?

A customer with 1,000 invested has a 3.4 to 1 chance of winning a cash prize in a 12 month period.

Might be a nice experiment to buy say, €10,000 worth and see what you have after the year !

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

from breakingnews.ie

Prize bond holder wins €1m
    21/12/2007 - 14:39:48

A Prize Bond holder from Dublin today received a Christmas present of €1,000,000 from the Prize Bond Company in the first ever Prize Bonds Christmas Jackpot draw.

The winning bond was purchased in 2004.

This is the first time in the 50-year history of the Prize Bonds scheme that it has paid out a top prize of €1,000,000.

The winner will be notified by the Prize Bond Company. An additional 2,790 Prize Bond holders also won prizes in today’s draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

my baby nephew (2 months old) received some as a gift from a neighbour when he was born. He got a cheque last week for €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

As far as i know you can spend them in argos!!! Way better than sitting in a drawer!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe confused a little there with Bonusbonds?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I dont think so, i remember seeing the pic in the catalog..

Edit/ i think i'm wrong - just checked!! OOPS!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

Spend them in Argos.... very funny

I have €1,200 worth, been buying them over the last yr and a half, still waiting to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I won 75 in the 21st december draw, first time in 8 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

I've won €75 once, I have about €75 worth.

From their homepage right now: last month they paid out 1.9million in prizes.

They must be making a fortune in interest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ive about 50 quids worth, got them as a present 16 yrs ago, never won. my parents have about 5k worth and win approx 300 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

6% return p.a., not too bad, you could do a lot worse I guess

I'm not planning on keeping mine for too much longer if I continue to win nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

It would be interesting to find out how many prize bonds are unclaimed every year, for example someone is dead or moved house and never notified them...

Whats the odds of winning etc. the lotto is 8 million to one... is there a way of workin out prize bond draws?

Plus have some for 20 years or so, never won anything, my gran won a couple of hundred pound a good few years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stacky

Hey Guys,

Just bought a grands worth. (Had some cash doin nothing).
    Anyways, your comments are'nt exactly inspiring. I'd like some confirmation
    on some simple maths i've done. (School was a while back so bear with me)

Prize bond site says that if you buy €1000 worth your odds of a prize is 3.4 in 1.

Calculation
    €1000 = 160 bonds @€;6.25 ea

if i buy 160 bonds at 3.4/1 odds
    then total bonds available in draw pool = 544
    => 160 X 3.4

Like i said, either my maths is banjacksed or something is seriously wrong here :(

I think i'll keep them there for a little while anyway. It's a good way to keep some money out of harms way for a while (PS3 is too tempting ;) )

Stacky

Advertisement