Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my apologies in advance for wasting your time

• 03-12-2007 12:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

both of these are from dictionary.com
    condescending
    –adjective
    showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority: They resented the older neighbors' condescending cordiality.
    patronising
    adjective
    (used of behavior or attitude) characteristic of those who treat others with condescension [syn: arch]

can you do that? use a word in a definition, and then in the definition of that word...refer to the first word that you used the other word to define?

as you might be able to tell, I'm confused.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so, gordon gets 5 replies and I get none?

that's nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Mordeth wrote: »
    both of these are from dictionary.com

can you do that? use a word in a definition, and then in the definition of that word...refer to the first word that you used the other word to define?

as you might be able to tell, I'm confused.

Its all a bit heavy for the brain to be thinking about at 3am dude...but yeah Im sure you can... lets look at it this way....

If you dictionaried <- (not a real word) "gift", it might say present..and if you dictionaried "present" it might say gift?.

Buy low sell high thats my motto....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well, yes you can, but both entries in dictionary.com are a bit terse. In the Merriam-Webster dictionary for patronise you get, "to adopt an air of condescension toward : treat haughtily or coolly". So they've used the word condescension but also added haughtily and coolly so you wouldn't get caught in the same trap.

Also, Gordon's just a nicer chap.

Advertisement