Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fav pub in Kilkenny

• 03-12-2007 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Where is everyone drinking. It s really hard to find a good local. Every pub is a full of stags and hens at the weekend. I hate Paris Texas and Langtons. I like the hibernian but its often jammers. Used to like Carrigans. Have tried the bar downstairs in the Pembrook great for a late dring but no athmosphere. Opinions ?????????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Maggies! (It will always be Maggies...)
    You can get a great atmosphere in there but you will be sacrificing the availability of seats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Cleere's.

Apart from the stinky poky toilets! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

paris texas is awful both for food and drinking. Will stab forks in my eyes before going into langtons again.

Pumphouse is ok on a sunday evening when the bar flys are playing. Anywhere in that end of town [pumphouse, cleeres, anna conda] is nice on saturday night as all the hen and stag parties are up john street.

Mid week crape diem [sorry the playwright] is nice for afterwork drinks but rubbish at weekends.

I'm going to spell this so wrong - Tynanon's [is that even close?] by xtravision has the best beer garden, great if you've a mixed crowd of smokers and non smokers cus everyone can sit out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^^ Tynan's

Stephen wrote: »
    ^^^ Tynan's

I was kinda close

should have mentioned their beer garden is covered and heated so its not just a summer thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Maggies...but not at weekends when its full of Dublin blow ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

Langtons:D

So you're 18 I take it.

Da Bomber wrote: »
    Langtons:D

evil bad place

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dogerster

yeah I used to drink in the pump house a lot. Might go back there. Cleeres is ok but there pints are really S*it.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    evil bad place

Yup that it is. Never been a fan of the place. Ridiculously packed, overpriced, way overestimated and crap pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've a soft spot for Lenehans but it's quiet enough. Tynan's I like too but it can be really jammers sometimes.

Nightwish wrote: »
    So you're 18 I take it.

Nope,but when has that ever stopped anybody;)

are you one of the creepy auld farmer types that lurks around there on thursdays?

Firetrap wrote: »
    Tynan's I like too but it can be really jammers sometimes.

yeah its not great when it jammers but if you get there early and claim one of the chair islands out in the beer garden its great - those red chairs are super comfy. Sunday afternoons in the summer are great there to, sat there playing cards for a few hours, really nice.

The kilkenny court hotel is nice during the summer if the sun actaully comes out

cos once you reach a certain age, I think you'd have to be completely bladdered to go in willingly.

ztoical wrote: »
    are you one of the creepy auld farmer types that lurks around there on thursdays?

Ha not anymore school put a stop to that!
    Nightwish wrote: »
    cos once you reach a certain age, I think you'd have to be completely bladdered to go in willingly.

Whats with all this hostility towards Langtons i know the prices are a bit steep but like the crowds in there are savage i've never seen anythin lik it(but then again i havent been to many places:rolleyes:)

Whats with all this hostility towards Langtons i know the prices are a bit steep but like the crowds in there are savage i've never seen anythin lik it(but then again i havent been to many places:rolleyes:)

I think you've answer your own question - go to a couple of other places and then see how langtons compares.

Ignoring the cost, the place is full of bloody hen/stag parties, painfully closeted boys, and half dressed slappers. Most of the people are drunk and not the were having a good night bit of a laugh drunk but the embrassed don't look directly at the state of them drunk. You can't dance cus the dance floor to packed and even if you could get a space on it, everyone brings drinks on to the dance floor which they then drop resulting in glass everywhere. The staff make no effort to stop people bringing glasses on to the dance floor or to stop them climbing on top of each other and falling all over the place.

Last time I was dragged there we were up by the little stage area trying to dance, constantly having guys falling over and bashing into us, when someone dropped a glass, it didn't break and my friend picked it up and handed it to one of the staff on the stage, who then just dropped it on to the floor were it broke. We went outside for some air but the sound of people throwing up told us it was time to leave. We had all our coats with us cus the tiny cloak room was full when we'd arrived. When we got to the side gate to get out there was a pile of drunken young lads standing outside screaming abuse at the bouncer - yelling "let us in you fat f**ker" while throwing up. Twas a really classy night out I must say.

I will give langtons this thou it is one tiny tiny step above Hayes in Thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I love the stereotyping of langtons:D
    Personally i think its a half way house for farmers and dubs.

My favourite is morrisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 t_rom/reaper

meddows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Slightly OT but can I ask a question are they're any upmarket pubs in Kilkenny that draw an older clientele 25+ rather than 16+

meddows

Widows? Or is it not a town pub?
    oilsheik wrote: »
    Slightly OT but can I ask a question are they're any upmarket pubs in Kilkenny that draw an older clientele 25+ rather than 16+

Morrisons used to have a very mature crowd but recently it has a very mixed group. Lanigans will have a mixed crowd too. Dempseys (Shem's) on John St. is a good pub too that seems to lack the younger age pulling power, and you are guaranteed great pints. :D
    Any hotel bar would be an option, but you will be talking about a lifeless atmosphere.

oilsheik wrote: »

is ryans the name of the pub on that street off high street near subway? Thursday nights in there have an older crowd and a good buzz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It seems sadly its not just Kilkenny that suffers from the 16/17 years old hanging about in pubs, its not the place for them in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

meddows

Damn straight. and then up to the red lion with your last can to wait for someone to finish their pint so you could pour your can into it.

them were the days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

can't stand langtons, i avoid it like the plague. too expensive, and no craic. generally don't go out too often in kk, but usually end up in morrisons as it's free in and serves late (late for kilkenny)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pinky07

Lanigans definetley the best without a doubt!!!!

10 Mins of Lanigans is my definition of ultimate torture. In fact, I'd rather go to to Langtons than in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Blimmeh, things have clearly changed a lot since my day (7 / 8 years ago), Langtons used to be the place where the older crowd went, used to be 21's I think?

But even back then it was all farmers and Dubs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Unless you like your ears to be blasted off by really really loud music that can be heard at the far end of John Street, stay away from Lanigans. The crowd in there has changed as well.

Advertisement