Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not sure where to turn for this problem..

Options
  • 03-12-2007 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

hi, dont ban me cos i dont know where to go with this so i figured feedback is best. Having problems with boards.ie timing out on my browser at specific time sections. Usually around 3am-3:15. it will simply continue to try load the page and not success. Unless i exit the browser and wait several mins like now. Is there some sort of server issue around this time like an updater?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, the database is backed up each morning at that time ... usually starts around 3.05 / 3.06, comes back online around 3.15 +

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

spot on! thats the exact time it shows that it times out! So, everyone suffers from this slight lag? or is it just a few computers at that time?

No, everyone ... the whole boards.ie database is backed up, the mods take their daily nap, the hamsters are fed ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Boards is down for everyone at this time.

No, everyone ... the whole boards.ie database is backed up, the mods take their daily nap, the hamsters are fed ... :D

Well everyone deserves a quick tea/smoke break! a whole 3mins outta 24hours.. impressive. have a q 4 u mods, are yous all working from home or how does it work? just a real quick Q thats all...

Woo 100th post! :D

• Advertisement

congo_90 wrote: »
    have a q 4 u mods, are yous all working from home?
    Yep, they do, or from wherever they go online ... all mods, and even the admins, on this site are voluntary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah good ol' nap time. :D *stretches* Back to work again!

*edit*
    Ah, i see. So there is no little office with the servers and a room full of people? i figured not practical at 4 am!! anyway. I got my Q answered so feel free to close the thread. (oh i have 2stars) i felt so big there until i looked at all your stats and post counts :(

@randylonghorn..check out my pic attached.. i have a similar sayin used on bebo

If you are interested in more info on the Stars and what they mean you can check out the Boards Wiki page here. It has heaps of info on the site (past and present). Don't worry about your postcount, it's not what matters. :)

Ah, i see. So there is no little office with the servers and a room full of people? i figured not practical at 4 am!!
    Not practical at any time of the day on what is basically a free site to users, with admins who want a site which is readable, rather than with ads popping up in your face every minute ... so there are limits on advertising revenue as well.
    (oh i have 2stars) i felt so big there until i looked at all your stats and post counts :(
    You are not the length of your e-penis ... I mean, your number of posts! :D

(and you will be surprised how fast it builds up if you stick around!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yep, they do, or from wherever they go online ... all mods, and even the admins, on this site are voluntary.

Don't mind this guy; he's pulling your leg.

All mods and admins are in Boards HQ in the IFSC. This is probably the only drawback to one of the best jobs around: not everybody wants to live in the IFSC 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

All the Mods take turn in running on a big hamster wheel to power the server for a 24 hr period. The Mod's switch at a 3:05. This should be a minute max.

The SMods hold the whips to make sure the Mod's keep going at the needed pace. Sometimes they need to rest their whipping arm, and so sometimes you will notice the site will be down for a while while they rest.

Most IT organisations work like this, it a finely tuned system that once calibrated correctly works quite effectively.

I hope this helps you understand the roles of the staff here a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Ruu wrote: »
    If you are interested in more info on the Stars and what they mean you can check out the Boards Wiki page here. It has heaps of info on the site (past and present). Don't worry about your postcount, it's not what matters. :)

Gawd dammit Ruu you make me so moist sometimes with your helpfulness!
    C'mere till I roide ya, ya saucy minx!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Well everyone deserves a quick tea/smoke break! a whole 3mins outta 24hours.. impressive. have a q 4 u mods, are yous all working from home or how does it work? just a real quick Q thats all...

Woo 100th post! :D
    Welcome to the new and improved boards.ie.

It used to take up to 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ziggy wrote: »

Go here and change yourself into the subscriber group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

The mods and admins aren't volunteers ! They get paid in coke and hookers !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yay I also now have stars! :D

• Advertisement

We can do italics? Explain. This is the best day ever!!!111!!lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Subscribing enables you to store extra PM's, think you get a blog space, you get access to Sex & Sexuality, you get a mail address @boards.ie, you can change your nick should you want to, you can customize your avatar & tag line, you also get 4 groovey red stars under your nick. The subscribers forum makes S&S look like a Monastery too.

There's also the warm fuzzy feeling. There's the warm Azezil feeling too, but I'm not getting into that.

:eek: all I can say is "Wow"!

The mods and admins aren't volunteers ! They get paid in coke and hookers !

hmmm... sounds gud!! i wanna be a mod!

on that note, are the mods voted in, or is it after x amount of posts,subscriptions etc that you can appeal and a joint decision is made by admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

on that note, are the mods voted in, or is it after x amount of posts,subscriptions etc that you can appeal and a joint decision is made by admin?

It's all down to an admins decision. Mods only get added when they are needed e.g. if a new forum is created, an existing mod is stepping down or a forum gets busy and another mod is needed. If a mod is stepping down or needs another mod on one of their forums, they will generally recommend someone who has helped out a lot on that forum and is a good level headed poster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

hi, dont ban me cos i dont know where to go with this so i figured feedback is best.

Did no-one else lol at this part?

(Then get slightly worried because he assumed he'd be banned for posting in the wrong forum.)

azezil wrote: »
    Gawd dammit Ruu you make me so moist sometimes with your helpfulness!
    C'mere till I roide ya, ya saucy minx!

<Harry Enfield>Ooooo young man!</Harry Enfield> :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Using txt spk will never win you mod status.

Advertisement