Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keys in Boot

Options
  • 03-12-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi ya..i seem to have misplaced my keys and im certain i locked them in the boot...its a 00 corolla and this is a real pain in the ass as I can't really afford to lose them...im pretty sure they are in the boot..

would anyone know of a local garage or someone to call out and get into my car in thjr Phibsboro area?? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Use the spare key?

I'll presume you've thought of this though... ring a locksmith maybe, but be careful, ask them how they plan to do it as a lot will probably just smash the lock out with a chisel - though I'd imagine some will be able to pick it given enough time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

try to open the door with a coat hanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Can the boot be accessed through the back seats?

If so you only need to get into the front of the car. Makes things simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

ya theres a latch in the front to open the boot so I only need to get in there...any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Call your Local Toyota garage.
    Some of them are equiped to "open' cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Have you got AA, or Hibernian insurance.They cover coming out and opening the car for you.Its happened to me before.

not in aa unfortunately, they pointed me in the direction of another croud who are €80...not impressed with that as I know it will prob be a two minute job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

biko wrote: »

Thats fine if you haven't the "superlock" on (as honda calls it).
    Its when you press the lock button on the key twice and the doors will lock as normal but they also can't be opened from the inside by the handle and switch inside is also disabled.

Though technically if you've "superlock" 'd it then you probably have the keys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

not in aa unfortunately, they pointed me in the direction of another croud who are €80...not impressed with that as I know it will prob be a two minute job!

Its a 2 minute job but they have to get out to you and head back after. €80 is reasonable.

• Advertisement

What insurance company are you with? Do you hve breakdown assistance.

with axa..just on to them there..not covered to come out and take keys out..

with axa..just on to them there..not covered to come out and take keys out..

:( Then just pay the 80 euro.Thats your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

€80 is ok...I had to pay €150 once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

€80 sounds cheap (too cheap come to think on it).

Do you know anyone that has the spare key - Previous owner?

Look at it this way, you wont lock 'em in again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pay the 80euro sure what other feckin choice do ya have? Either that or smash a window which will cost more than 80eur

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Get toyota to cut you a new key!!!!!

They will do it from the VIN once you prove you own the car. I have done same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

You could probably join the AA for less than 80 Euro and then get them to come out and open the car for you. I've locked the keys in my car before but luckily I know how to break into it without smashing a window. Joining the AA or paying the 80 Euro are both cheaper options than a brick entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

maidhc wrote: »
    Get toyota to cut you a new key!!!!!

They will do it from the VIN once you prove you own the car. I have done same.

A new key could cost way more than €80 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You could use a home made device to open the drivers side door. Your local friendly smart mechanic can do this for you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

smcgiff wrote: »
    A new key could cost way more than €80 though.

Well one for a Ford costs the princely sum of €5 including cutting from a main dealer. This is for the key without an immobiliser chip... you need to stretch to €30 for one of those. A remote key comes in a whopping €80.

I suspect Toyota would be around the same go, maybe a little more, but hardly much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Couldnt you try and open the door yourself with a coat hanger?

There bound to be a kid that lives nearb that knows how to do it!! ha ha ha

No but seriously, your local garage should be able to help you, cant think of the top of my head of any in Phibs.

It happened me once in a shopping centre car park, luckily there was a mickey-mouse garage across the road and they came over and opened the door for me, they said it happened all the time, gave them €20!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm not being smart or anything, but i was at a car show once, and same thing happened. They didn't hesistate to smash the smaller window on the back passengers door. I suppose this was a quick/cheap option at the time.... Just an idea if all else fails..
    P.s i didn't read all of the thread so sorry if some1 else already mentioned it,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Bend out 2 coat hangers and join them with duck tape wedge the door a bit with a door stopper or somet hing to that effect and pull the boot lever at the drivers door.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Go a Toyota dealer and get the key code. using chassis and reg number. Then go to a locksmith who will cut a simple non immobiliser key from the code (around €10 including key)

Also, if the key turns out to be in the boot. you might want to think about getting a spare immobiliser key cut. You don't wanna have to replace all locks and ECU, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Same happened to me in Rathmines once when my passenger (whom I told to stay put) came into the shop to get me.

A passing Garda saw me with a coat-hanger trying to break in. After explaining the situation to him, he radioed a colleague who arrived a couple of minutes later with an apparatus that opened the car in seconds. Showed the Garda my licence and off I went.

So my advice is.... see if you can find a Garda to let you in (for free) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

A good locksmith can make you a key from the log book (VIN) and it should cost no more than 30 euros - you don't need the imobilizer so it will just open the car, but in saying that 80 is a good price to get it open.

also lockout kits are available in good motor facators (airbag/wedge/Hooks) but they cost 50 - 60 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A corolla of that era is likely to have double locking, so a key would have to be used to open the door (assuming it was activated)

Ring Jason from Alpha lock and safe on 01 - 459 0299

He is really helpful

http://www.alphalockandsafe.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement