Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Deadman's Inn

Options
  • 03-12-2007 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone actually uses this place as their local?

I know people who go there for Sunday lunch and I've popped in for the odd pint on occasion as I used to know one of the barmen there quite well but does anyone know how it fares as a local?

There are houses on the Old Lucan Road but I can't imagine there's enough locals to keep the pub ticking over on a Monday night. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Before the N4 and drink driving laws it was used a lot.

HAvent been down there in years myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bewley

It has gone to the dogs - nice little cosy bar now has a pool table and a jukebox. If you go there for a quiet pint on w'end you'll be accosted at the door by some lowlife addressing you as "Bud" and wanting to know why you wont pay a tenner into a live band when all you want is a quiet pint. Courtney's or Ball Alley is not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Try Kenneys in the village, Now there's a fine bar. As far as the Deads goes, I would give it a wide bearth, full of skangers who were barred by the previous owner. Its a shame though cos I remember going there when I was a kid with my dad and spent many a 5 pence piece playing "Pong" (one of the first Video games)and drinking Red Lemonade.This of course was when the N4 or the galway road as we use to call it passed by the front door (V early 70s)
    Wow showing my age now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well as a Lucan man myself I know all about the pubs in Lucan :) but did wonder about the Deadmans as it's been years since I was there, I was only born in the md-70's but even I remember the old Lucan road passing byt he Deadmans before the dual carriageway was built :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I actually laughed at the suggestion that courtneys was a good pub, at €5.50 a pint it is one of the dearest places in Ireland for a pint. You don't pay that in alot of tourist pubs in temple bar.
    Kenny's is far better imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my parents used to but it's gone to the dogs

they go up to the village now

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Surely they go down to the village not up:D
    remember the floods, kennys is clearly the lowest point

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

sunday lunchtime is busy for the carvery but otherwise it's dead. the foxhunter has more life than it now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MrsJohnMurphy

Years ago alot of aul fellas from Palmerstown, golfers especially would drive up of an evening for two late pints and then drive home. None of them do anymore.

MJM

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bob69

Just been in Deadmans and apart from the fatty steak which I would forgive, what is unforgivable is we had our 9 and 3 yr olds with us and they charged for their meals, even though it has a huge sign saying kids eat free which we seen on the way out. Shortsightness by the staff as we would have tried it again but absolutely no way now. I would advise anyone to stay clear if this place. No wonder business owners are suffering and with this carry on I must say they deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bob69 wrote: »
    we had our 9 and 3 yr olds with us and they charged for their meals, even though it has a huge sign saying kids eat free which we seen on the way out.

People make mistakes. In my experience people who work in restaurants make a lot of mistakes :)

Why did you not go back in to get the kids meals refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Lives up to its name , dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

sad to see the comments here about the deadmans, it was a great pub when I worked there in the mid 90's. Packed fri-sun. allways an older more respectable crowd. definitely no skangers. I think its decline began when the Corbett family sold it (early 2000s i think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There are over 30,s dances/discos there now on weekends, not that I go there myself ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

realies wrote: »
    There are over 30,s dances/discos there now on weekends, not that I go there myself ;-)

And it seems to be doing very well. I regularly pass by there around 03.15 in the morning on the way to work and there's always a good crowd pouring out into taxi's.

Advertisement