Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car insurance wise 18yr old

Options
  • 03-12-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

My son has just started an apprenticeship as a carpenter and his place of work is 35 minutes drive in the opposite direction to my own workplace. He starts at 8 in the morning which adds ahell of a lot to my day. Solutions, 1 would be to buy him a car as he does have a provisional license.Public transport is not an option. My question is, what would be the best car insurance wise for him to get ?? appreciate any advice:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Get him to get a full licence first, asap! That should reduce the insurance premium significantly. Given that he's a carpenter I imagine some kind of diesel car-van would be best for him, and they're often cheaper to insure as there will never be rear seat passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

Hi,

Your best bet is probably a VW polo or seat ibiza (1l) or a ford fiesta (1.2 or could be 1.3 not sure). A little less glamorous is the nissan micra, punto or VW lupo. Basically they're the lowest engine size you can get so he'll get the lowest premium and the newer versions ('00+) should have better safety equipment for someone just starting out. It really depends on how much he's got to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As Stephen said, full licence. Then have him attend Hibernian Ignition course. Then get him an old banger less than 1.4 litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Best solution is get him a 1.0 polo and tell him to get a quote from hibernian.Then do the Hibernian test and in the mean time apply form a full licence now as it takes a while getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Sub 1 litre Yaris might suit. (Comparatively)Cheap to insure and will run forever if looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Opel/Vauxhall Corsa car-van 1.5L turbo diesel

Good reliable Isuzu engines in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Foleyart wrote: »
    My son has just started an apprenticeship as a carpenter and his place of work is 35 minutes drive in the opposite direction to my own workplace. He starts at 8 in the morning which adds ahell of a lot to my day. Solutions, 1 would be to buy him a car as he does have a provisional license.Public transport is not an option. My question is, what would be the best car insurance wise for him to get ?? appreciate any advice:)

Corsa 1.0 - 99 upwards - cheap as chips to run.

I have a Clean 99 3dr 40k - if you looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

non-turbo diesels seem to be far cheaper than petrol cars to insure with most companies.
    Listing the car as being worth less than 2.5k can cause it to be more expensive to insure I've been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Corsa 1.0 - 99 upwards - cheap as chips to run.

I have a Clean 99 3dr 40k - if you looking?

Good publicity.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What about the old trick of..........

Buy a CarVan..... Insure it under your name, put him on as a named driver ?

Alternatively, Buy him a Smart car 0.7 litre engine.... Cant do much damage in that wee thing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Trampas

MugMugs wrote: »
    What about the old trick of..........

Buy a CarVan..... Insure it under your name, put him on as a named driver ?

And then if he has a crash he might not be covered.

It was in the news that that old trick isn't a good option.

Especially if traveling to and from work

Advertisement