Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overgrown neighbour's tree

Options
  • 03-12-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭

can i cut my neighbour tree which is overgrown into my garden. will i have to ask them first

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Technically speaking, you can cut off overhanging branches as long as you offer them to your neighbour and do no lasting damage to the tree. In the interests of harmony I would talk to my neighbours, you never know, they might do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

As far as I know your neighbour is responsible for the tree and legally you can force them to have it cut back. If they won't cut it back when asked, you're entitled to do it yourself.

Even if you have to do the cutting your neighbour is still responsible for the disposal of the cuttings and should take them off you if requested.

You shouldn't dispose of the cuttings yourself without first offering them to the neighbour, as technically the timber is his. i.e. you would be stealing it.

Hopefully a quick chat will sort out what solution works best for both of you.

However it's handy to know if he gets awkard that the law is on your side (though don't take my word for it, get professional legal advice if necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

if it overhangs your property you can cut it id ask the neighbour first and just remember if you cut to much off one side it messes with the weight and the the tree may fall down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

Hi It's a good idea to talk to your neighbours first before cutting the tree. The usual leglities apply that have been mentioned and it wouldn't be a good idea to argue with them The other reasion is the symmetry of the tree. Trees have an inner canopy (if you stare long enough you will see them. For visual purposes the whole tree needs to be trimmed at the same time

Good luck

Ian

http://inishindie.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

You are legally entitled to cut any overhang that enters your boundary. But it might make good neighbour thing to ask but like I said you are entitled to cut whatever branches overhang into your garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

You should also by rights give the cut branches back to the neighbour. To keep them would be seen as theft!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread locked due to the amount of legal advice being given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement