Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandboarding

Options
  • 03-12-2007 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi guys!
    I'm looking for people interested in sandboarding,
    There's a couple of places in Ireland where you can try it.
    The boards can be bought on the web and they're not so expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

There are guides on the web on how to build your own sandboard and there are magazines on the subject aswell.I do not know if it is true but I was told there were people arrested for sandboarding in the dunes on Tramore besch as the dunes are protected.So keep away from protected sand dunes on beaches..
    Also dozens of vids on youtube!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Celtic-Donkey

Burner,

Two of my mates and myself are just starting to get into sandboarding. Were trying it wit a kite on flat terrain on the west coast. how long you at sandboarding??? where you do it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 the_burner

I've never tried sandboarding, I want to, but first I want to find some people who tried it Ireland (like you) , and then buy a board.

I was a sandboarder back home and I really miss it.
    My friend from Peru told me about sandboarding a copuple of years ago, he's brother was a world champion back then.

About the locations, here's what I found:

Ireland

Bettystown - Dublin
    - (many dunes about 15m high, quite grassy and rough sand There is one decent secluded sand pit about 25m high and 75m wide with some clean, non-grassy runs)

Donegal County - NorthWest
    - ( Situated along the Atlantic Coast )

Port Stewart - North Coast -
    ( good dunes )

White Rocks beach Portrush

Its good hearing from you!sandboarding in Ireland hasn't really taken off yet but its only a matter of time as in the south near a popular surfing beach there is the biggest dunes in europe but which a partly owned by the army!I however live up in the north coast in near portrush. Portrush has one main dune at a place called white rocks where the pics we have taken are from! Portstewart, a place 5 miles around the coast has a dune range which holds some really good slopes! At this time my friends and I are the only people who sandboard. Normal snowboards dont work on these dunes as the dunes are normally wet and salty, which are the worst conditions for snowboards.
    When these pictures were taken I was still developing the boards so the boards now look different from then. With a coat of paint and a few designs and then varnished so that it wouldnt wear off the boards now look class. However, as we live near the sea we are not always sandboarding. We have been surfing most of our lives and tend to do it more when the waves are good. But in the summer when the waves arent good generally, and its sunny, we always sandboard.

Tramore Sand Dunes - Waterford

N.Wales

Holywell Bay - Newquay - Cornwall - ( 3 huge dunes offerring steep long fast rides, drop offs, fly offs, lethal wall of sand quaterpipe, enough room to build up ramps. All this only a few miles from Newquay.)

Porthdinllaen Dunes - Bangor
    - (small sand/clay cliff drop offs on beach, one long run with a big drop off.)

Rhosnigor Dunes - Abberfraw - Anglesey

Braunton Burrows - Barnstaple - North Devon
    - (Range of small drop offs, mogules and a bowl of hard packed sand. Highest Dunes in the UK)

source: www.sandboard.com

let's keep in touch guys!
    How is it with a kite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Celtic-Donkey

I found those locations on sandboard.com. I got interested in it because I went snowboarding a few weeks ago and wanted to do something similar. Ive had a go kiteboarding but am just a novice. Have you come across anyone with a sandboard on a flat terrain using a kite? Im in Clare so its very hard for me to get to these locations that you said. How long have you been doing sandboarding??? Im thinking of buying a board off sasndmasterpark.com, have you heard of them, if so are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ok,

sand boarding isn't really an option in ireland, you might get a 20m run max. i think what your looking for is a land board, its basically a ATB skateboard, you use these with kites. sand boards need to be waxed on a quite regular basis and sould be tottaly unsuitable for being oulled behind a kite, or indeed on any run over 100m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tinoasprilla

Any joy finding somewhere in Ireland to do sandboarding?
    i havent done it before but would love to give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

This sounds great, i want to do it :)
    where do u get the boards? anyshops in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

been looking into sandboarding aswell, not far from Portrush myself, although dont have the equipment..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

was over in Dooey in the Rosses, Donegal today, some impressive dunes over there...

Advertisement