Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's involved in connecting to Broadband?

Options
  • 03-12-2007 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just ordered Broadband from Eircom.
    My line is broadband capable.

So, I know I need a router, supllied by Eircom, but what else do Eircom need to do?

Do they need to change something on my actual line in order for broadband to work on the line, or do they need to activate broadband on my account before it will work, or what?

Why I'm asking is this:-
    I do intend to pay them for broadband, which is why I signed up for the service. But, I'm hoping to have broadband for lazing about over Christmas, & as I only ordered today, I'm not hopeful.

I already have 2 Netopia wireless routers at work that I could take if my router didn't arrive, but will it work?
    That's my question.
    Have they to do something to the line before this router will work?

Also, anyone know the average lead time for eircom actually providing operational braodband from date of order?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Eircom just need to activate your line. I think they say it should take about 10 days, but it usually takes less. Bring one of the routers home from work and test the line every evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Just as long as you have a solid DSL light, your ok to go. Eircom is good like that because you don't need assigned usernames and passwords on the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Jumanji

Thanks Duiske

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flynner27

The DSL light still keeps blinking even though i've connected everything properly, rang eircom still no joy as they say i'm connected, help as this has been going on for a week now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Jumanji

Have you plugged they router into the main phone point in your house, or an extension in some room?
    Why I ask is this (& I'm not V up-to-date on Broadband stuff)
    I had to set up a wireless router last night for a family member.

The original phone point was in his kitchen.
    A few years ago he ran some wires from this down to his bedroom to have a second phone point.
    This worked fine for voice, but when I went to connect the router to the bedroom point last night, the DSL light kept flashing.
    So, either he wired his extension point wrong, or only took two wires.
    The router worked perfectly from his original kitchen phone point. DSL light staying on constant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

flynner27 wrote: »
    The DSL light still keeps blinking even though i've connected everything properly, rang eircom still no joy as they say i'm connected, help as this has been going on for a week now...
    Make sure you're using microfilters on EVERY phone socket. One could be faulty also. To eliminate this problem, disconnect every phone, Sky digibox, fax machine, etc. from your landline and connect only the router. Does it now sync?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flynner27

Cheers gonna try that and see how it shapes up, will be back to let ye know how it went...

Advertisement