Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor music awards

• 03-12-2007 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

i just seen the nominees for the 2008 awards. i'm very surprised there are no phantom djs (eg john cadell, ray mcgowan, edel coffey). they did win the music station of the year after all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

For those who are wondering the nominees are (linkage):

National DJ
    1. Ray D'Arcy - Today FM
    2. Ian Dempsey - Today FM
    3. Tom Dunne - Today FM
    4. Dave Fanning - RTE Radio 1
    5. Ray Foley - Today FM
    6. Rick O'Shea - Today FM

Regional DJ
    1. Pete Casey - Shannonside
    2. Keith Cunningham (KC) - Red FM
    3. Leigh Doyle - Beat 102.103
    4. Joe & Keith - Spin 103.8
    5. Mark Noble - FM104
    6. Jon Richards - Galway Bay FM

I reckon the national award will be a race between Foley & D'Arcy, with the fans they have they'll get huge votes... If Tom Dunne presented D'Arcy's show he'd get my vote, but he doesn't so i'll probably go with Foley - purely because of his podcast [i don't hear his full show, only the podcast, i'm sure if you have to hear him for 2.5 hours a day every day he might be crap]

Regional is stupid for a public vote, obviously most will not be able to hear many of the Dj's listed (i can only get Red FM in cork) so i would imagine it would be simple for a dub to win this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

What a waste of an awards show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Who decided the shortlist? Ray Foley in the Top National DJ Category? Shows it up for a complete farce and listening to him begging for votes shows how lacking in class the show is in comparison to Ray Darcy who takes it in his stride and hasnt mentioned it (and much better chance of winning it)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

You're joking - Ray Foley up for an award ??? Must be the worst DJ I've ever heard !!!

Exactly..and the fact he spent his entire show today talking about it shows just how shocked he is as well!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Merged with other Meteor Music Awards thread that was on the first page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cats111

jesus macca, what crawled up you @ss? the dj awards are based on votes so ray foley is clearly doing something right. Ive heard the show a good bit and they are clearly taking the piss so either sarcasm and self deprecation are lost on you, or ray darcy, who takes all these things in his stride :rolleyes: is having quite an affect on you...
    either way, get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Cats111 wrote: »
    jesus macca, what crawled up you @ss? the dj awards are based on votes so ray foley is clearly doing something right.

Calm down. Foley fans always seem so aggressive on here.

The vote is public now... but how was the short list decided...? that is the question that is being asked.

jesus macca, what crawled up you @ss? the dj awards are based on votes so ray foley is clearly doing something right. Ive heard the show a good bit and they are clearly taking the piss so either sarcasm and self deprecation are lost on you, or ray darcy, who takes all these things in his stride :rolleyes: is having quite an affect on you...
    either way, get over yourself.

I was asking about the nomination not the actual winner. Despite the constant canvassing by him which no other nominee stoops to he has no chance of winning. Not only is he unoriginal but its the fact he rips the **** out of every joke he thinks of:Phoning his boss every day, Cuss-Cuss, Nice
    ,Song from Sopranos,Ray Foley yer a pup, Im sorry I cant be in today.. to name but a few. By the way he doesnt come across as self deprecating quite the opposite hence the non stop talk about how great he is being nominated.

Can someone find the thread where the vast majority of posters here had the same IP address in the today FM office? Or on another journalists who caught the foley team at the same embarassing trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Macca206 wrote: »
    I was asking about the nomination not the actual winner.

As far as I know, the nominations come from within the industry.
    Despite the constant canvassing by him which no other nominee stoops to he has no chance of winning. Not only is he unoriginal but its the fact he rips the **** out of every joke he thinks of

He is taking the piss. Very obviously taking the piss with the 'canvassing'.
    Phoning his boss every day

That was Anne Gleeson, another employee in the radio station.
    Song from Sopranos

He succesfully began to rise the popularity of the Journey song, before the Sopranos episode aired in Ireland.
    By the way he doesnt come across as self deprecating quite the opposite hence the non stop talk about how great he is being nominated.

Again, he is taking the piss.
    Can someone find the thread where the vast majority of posters here had the same IP address in the today FM office?

There was plenty or speculation about that, but nobody actually proved it, and Foley was banned before he could reply himself.

If you have such an agenda about this guy, why do you bother listening??! You obviously listen quite intently as you seem to be very familiar with everything he does .... Really, just turn it off if you don't like it.

Any time anyone says anything remotely good about Foley, they are shot down by whingers who don't like him but seem to know a lot about his radio show. Again, just turn it off.

He is probably one of the most talented young presenters on the radio at the moment. Best of luck in the meteors.

If you want to check my IP, you'll find it isn't from the Today FM offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If you want to check my IP, you'll find it isn't from the Today FM offices.

Ha... no... yours is fine... someone else I'm not so sure about though...

But can we not let this turn into another Foley thread please? Otherwise it will be locked.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

Bit of an incendiary device, this thread.

I've seen a similar angry rant when the PPI awards were announced for 2007.

Phantom did well in the PPI's this year. Some people thought it was a joke that they were named station of the year given their MShare. Some didnt and thought fair play etc. I'm not commenting either way.

The Meteors I expect will be equally as devisive!

The Question has to be asked again and again though. Who is shortlisting these people ?

The nominations certainly bear no resemblence to the JNLR stats!

With the List of most listened to programmes being (you pick the "DJ"!!!)

1. 07.00-09.00 Morning Ireland Radio 1 435,000 +11,000
    2. 13.45-15.00 Liveline (Joe Duffy) Radio 1 345,000 +13,000
    3. 09.00-12.00 Gerry Ryan 2 FM 325,000 +24,000
    4. 09.00-10.00 Ryan Tubridy Radio 1 313,000 +4,000
    5. 13.00-13.45 News at One Radio 1 290,000 -2,000
    6. 10.00-12.00 Pat Kenny Radio 1 270,000 +10,000
    7. 09.00-12.00 Ray D'Arcy Today FM 246,000 -2,000
    8. 07.00-09.00 Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show Today FM 239,000 +6,000
    9. 16.30-20.00 Drivetime* Radio 1 204,000 +24,000
    10. 16.30-19.00 Last Word (Matt Cooper) Today FM 193,000 +6,000
    11. 14.00-17.00 Rick O'Shea 2 FM 185,000 +5,000
    12. 12.00-14.00 Nikki Hayes 2 FM 173,000 +11,000

13. 12.00-14.30 Ray Foley Today FM 170,000 +4,000
    14. 12.00-13.00 Ronan Collins Radio 1 169,000 +2,000
    15. 06.00-09.00 Marty In The Morning / Colm & Jim-Jim (from March) 2 FM 168,000 -6,000
    16. 17.00-19.00 Will Leahy 2 FM 146,000 +3,000
    17. 15.00-16.30 Mooney* Radio 1 142,000 +2,000
    18. 14.30-16.30 Tony Fenton Today FM 135,000 +5,000

According to this list I would consider Ian Dempsey to be the most listened to "DJ" rather than magazine type presenter. Poor oul Ian dempsey gets the slags in year in year out with Darcy!

If you have such an agenda about this guy, why do you bother listening??! You obviously listen quite intently as you seem to be very familiar with everything he does .... Really, just turn it off if you don't like it.

Ive the misfortune to have to listen to it at work..and he grinds my happiness each day. Rest of today FM is spot on though I have to say. BTW you are the 1st pro-Foley person on this board whos views Id respect, each to their own and all that (though i think we'll agree to disagree on whether or not hes being sarcastic or up his own ****)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ive the misfortune to have to listen to it at work..and he grinds my happiness each day. Rest of today FM is spot on though I have to say. BTW you are the 1st pro-Foley person on this board whos views Id respect, each to their own and all that (though i think we'll agree to disagree on whether or not hes being sarcastic or up his own ****)

This no doubt seems very hypocritcal after what I wrote up there, but wouldn't really be a pro-Foley person... I listen to him in work too. He's doing a job and doing it well. It's for that reason that I'd 'defend' the chap... He's making a living doing what he knows and just one of the unfortunate sides of it is being in the public eye and often subject of nonsense criticism.

There are plenty who would cringe at the sound of Matt Cooper coming on the radio... despite the fact that he's doing his job well. Him and talk radio aren't everybody's cup of tea. Just the same as Foley and his style isn't everybody's cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'm puzzled. Why don't those who are affected by background radio.. just approach their boss? Tell them it affects your productivity!

I would side with those who prefer continuous music to constant witterings of DJ's. And to me, nothing at all is preferential over DJ and side-kick chatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cats111

Ha... no... yours is fine... someone else I'm not so sure about though...

talking about me? Afraid not, Im not in today fm either. I just find it amazing at the amount of mindless criticism levelled at someone doing a decent job. Everyone is entitled to their opinion etc etc but some of the tripe posted on here about Foley is ridiculous.

talking about me? Afraid not, Im not in today fm either. I just find it amazing at the amount of mindless criticism levelled at someone doing a decent job. Everyone is entitled to their opinion etc etc but some of the tripe posted on here about Foley is ridiculous.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and a bulk of peoplke on here cringe at foley comin on air (just like a bulk actually like him and probably text in everyday saying why they cant be in!!). His antics on message boards means that when someone liek you defend him they are immediately thought to be one of foleys staff..mainly because thats what hes done in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

wow, clap feckin clap for the senior citizens of Ireland who learned how to use the inter-web!!

The only bloody entertaining thing on irish radio, and every old grumpy fart in ireland crawls on their zimmer frame to the computer to voice their opinions, god bless democracy!

And by the way im a grumpy old ****e (29!) who happens to be a despicable cynic.

Foley rocks. D'Arcy is good too but he's more for the arse-hole, self righteous, "Get on your high horse about everything" children of the the rather lucrative celtic tiger. You know who you are!

Christ im upsetting my self now!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

This thread needs to step back a notch or two. Anymore tit for tatting about Foley will result in this thread being locked.

There are other DJs on the list to discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

I'm sorry tsubh but all i can say is i hope that foley muppet doesnt win

• Advertisement

Dabko wrote: »
    wow, clap feckin clap for the senior citizens of Ireland who learned how to use the inter-web!!

The only bloody entertaining thing on irish radio, and every old grumpy fart in ireland crawls on their zimmer frame to the computer to voice their opinions, god bless democracy!

And by the way im a grumpy old ****e (29!) who happens to be a despicable cynic.

Foley rocks. D'Arcy is good too but he's more for the arse-hole, self righteous, "Get on your high horse about everything" children of the the rather lucrative celtic tiger. You know who you are!

Christ im upsetting my self now!!

4 Posts, a Foley defender .. its now my turn to be cynical !

Back to original topic.. Darcy should get it but as its a public vote and RF is only person actively canvassing hes prob in with a good shout as he appeals to the pop idol type audience.

Having said that i think darcycould only loosely be described as a dj

Advertisement