Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearbox just gone

• 03-12-2007 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Ok just had the poxy gearbox fall out of the van it's an Opel Vivaro (same as the Renault Trafic & Nissan Primastar). Apparently it's a known problem, well it wasn't bloody "known" to me :mad:

Opel garage says €4k, I've got a quote from an independent for around €2k, is that the best I'll get?

In the past 24hrs I've heard of half a dozen people have the same feckin problem with these vans, clutches and gearboxes :rolleyes:

Any advice oh enlightened motor folk of boards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Savman wrote: »
    Ok just had the poxy gearbox fall out of the van it's an Opel Vivaro (same as the Renault Trafic & Nissan Primastar). Apparently it's a known problem, well it wasn't bloody "known" to me :mad:

Opel garage says €4k, I've got a quote from an independent for around €2k, is that the best I'll get?

In the past 24hrs I've heard of half a dozen people have the same feckin problem with these vans, clutches and gearboxes :rolleyes:

Any advice oh enlightened motor folk of boards?

trayors.co.uk for a reconditioned or second hand one.
    Get an indy to fit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What year is the van? - depending on the year, you may find that there is full/partial extended warranty. Talk to your local Opel dealer if the van is any way fresh.

Be careful if you buy a second hand one - it may go the same way. A reconditioned one, as suggested by craichoe would be the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

'03 with 82k miles. I've been told I was lucky to get that long out of the gearbox :rolleyes:
    AFAIK it's out of warranty and few people have said it'll be hard to find a reconditioned box for that particular van, maybe cos its 6 speed, I dunno. I'd defo look at ordering in the box but I'm way out of my depth here.

Last time I got a starter motor on ebay, the mechanic I gave it to ended up binning it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you do have to order in the gearbox, be sure that the gearbox code on the new one is the same as the old one. That way you can be sure of an exact match. There are a lot of parts that connect to the gearbox and with a different gearbox code, some parts may fit in different locations which will give you a serious headache. Additionally, getting a gearbox with an identical code, will ensure that all your gear ratios are the same.

I've no idea where this code is located on an Opel gearbox - hopefully someone else will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

so much for the "van of the year" tag they have on them :eek:

try www.partsgateway.co.uk

i picked up a few parts from there before, they get breakers yards to quote you if they have them in stock, then you pick which quote to take..

good luck :o

• Advertisement

Can't say I'm comfortable with the idea of ordering in a whole gearbox, it's not like it's a small part. I mean, it's a gearbox and is a pretty significant problem for me to be attempting to solve myself :eek:

It's fine for spurious or miscellaneous bits n pieces, but this is fairly serious, dont fancy making a balls of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

There are only really 2 gear boxes in it.

5spd (80bhp) or 6spd (100bhp)

The gearbox code should be wrote on the security card which should be stuck in with your service booklets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My gearbox died a year ago. I got a 2nd hand one out of a 1996 320i from the breakers in Kilcock for 300 euro. I brought the damaged one down to compare side by side that they were the same. It worked, saving me thousands in repairs.

I rang traynors also, who said they a had gerabox in good nick, but when they brought it down to Navan, they showed me a piece of rusted junk with a badly worn spline and hugh slack on the syncros.

I've a few people looking into a possible cheaper alternatives but the word I'm getting back so far is these gearboxes are somewhat difficult to source, how true that is I don't really know though.

So help me god I'll not be buying another Opel again, nor Renault or anything remotely resembling 'em :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I've been down that road before with a feckn Rover.... Oh jesus it was terrible situation, friday afternoon blocked all the traffic on canal road after my 400i crunched to a effin hault. I nearly died with shame it was horrible:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Hi, I work for opel and yes they do give a bit of trouble. It is the gearbox out of a Laguna. Renault should of known that they would not be suitable for a van that size.
    Sometimes the problem is also that people overload the vans, we have had some in work full of gererators and heavy equipment and our lifts wont lift them they are that heavy. Im not saying that this is the case in your situation.

Anyway, back to your problem, when we have them in and they are outside warranty we sometimes remove the box and send it to be reconditioned. We use A + M Gearboxes who are right beside St James Hospital. Not sure what the cost will be but will probably be far cheaper than a new box. There are lots of gearbox places around who should be able to repair it so give a few a call and get a few prices.

mondeo wrote: »
    I've been down that road before with a feckn Rover.... Oh jesus it was terrible situation, friday afternoon blocked all the traffic on canal road after my 400i crunched to a effin hault. I nearly died with shame it was horrible:eek:
    I can live with the shame, can't live without me feckin motor tho.
    Lucifer wrote:
    Hi, I work for opel and yes they do give a bit of trouble. It is the gearbox out of a Laguna. Renault should of known that they would not be suitable for a van that size.
    Sometimes the problem is also that people overload the vans, we have had some in work full of gererators and heavy equipment and our lifts wont lift them they are that heavy. Im not saying that this is the case in your situation.

Anyway, back to your problem, when we have them in and they are outside warranty we sometimes remove the box and send it to be reconditioned. We use A + M Gearboxes who are right beside St James Hospital. Not sure what the cost will be but will probably be far cheaper than a new box. There are lots of gearbox places around who should be able to repair it so give a few a call and get a few prices.
    So your name is Lucifer and you work for Opel. Oh the irony :D
    Cheers, will follow that up. The missus had some serious trouble with her Renault Megane which pretty much killed it off altogether, now this so I'm weighing up all options.

Much obliged folks :)

Just an update for anyone who cares, or may be thinking of buying a Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar....
    Lucifer wrote:
    We use A + M Gearboxes who are right beside St James Hospital.
    two grand minimum just for the box itself.....before we'll set a foot near it.....oh and by the way there's no warranty either.....because the box is THAT bad
    :eek::eek::eek:

I think I'll try for a new van in the new year so watch out for my "What van should I buy" thread but already I'm looking at VW Transporter of Toyota Hiace. Feck the image, need summing that won't fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bruno77

found this post through a google search so you can guess i'm possibly facing a similar situation. Gearbox making some funny noises and sometimes has difficulty down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear.

General question to all previous posters, what is it that went wrong, symptoms etc? had the gearbox been serviced?

Heard some problems arise from using the "overflow" method when topping up the gearbox oil. Gearbox is only supposed to take 2.5ltrs or so which is well below the refill hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

bruno77 wrote: »
    found this post through a google search so you can guess i'm possibly facing a similar situation. Gearbox making some funny noises and sometimes has difficulty down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear.

General question to all previous posters, what is it that went wrong, symptoms etc? had the gearbox been serviced?

Heard some problems arise from using the "overflow" method when topping up the gearbox oil. Gearbox is only supposed to take 2.5ltrs or so which is well below the refill hole.
    I think its just a weakness in the design,happened to the bosses 04 primastar,though im told the later vans are apparently ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Start a new thread, please don't dig up old ones. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement